"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Could very well be Balderson - it is our most famous Cheddar!
It could be! It's great! I've only tasted the 3-year. So far, I haven't seen any that are more aged than 3 years over here.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
It could be! It's great! I've only tasted the 3-year. So far, I haven't seen any that are more aged than 3 years over here.
I think there's one in the back of the fridge older than ten, but it's shy and cringes away from the light!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think there's one in the back of the fridge older than ten, but it's shy and cringes away from the light!
LOL!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i've had some really good vermont artisnal cheddars, but the best was at a friend's parents' house in belfast. it was from a small cheesemaker from donegal, i think, and it was just fantastic. extremely sharp to start, but finishing off with the creamiest texture you can imagine.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Did I ever tell you about my Great-Aunt who dated her eggs and put them in the egg trays in the fridge (this is years ago when they had such things). When my aunt and I went to clean her house while she was in the hospital, I worked on the fridge and found the eggs - some were dated 5 or more years prior. I dealt with them very gently.... Bet your cheese and those eggs would make some stinky omelet!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I like any cheddar that makes my teeth itch
Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #17
Executive Chef

well,we make some pretty good cheese over this side of the pond but i've gotta say when it comes to cheddar the canadians have got it!!
my fav is baldersons royal canadian select vintage(buy it in asda over here) with tesco's extra mature 3 year aged vintage canadian a close second.
used to be the accountant for a cheese import/distibution company in cheshire back in the 70's.we used to import 3 year matured canadian by the container load,black wax dip the wheels & put them in cold store for another year or two....never mind makin' your teeth itch bro' bolas,this stuff made 'em dance! you must remember it,used to bring loads to the house at christmas along with stilton & cheshire that had won medals at the nantwich show & that was so creamy you ate with a spoon.all unpasteurised of course & no one had heard of chloresterol!!
happy daze
harry
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I looked up your Balderson Heritage Cheddar 5 years old, it looks interesting. Has it started to crumble, gritty to a small extent, salty enough? What is it you like, I think I may try that.

For an inexpensive nice aged cheddar, the Vermont Cabot aged cheddar is excellent--for anyone on a budget, like me.
You took the words out of my mouth. Every year for a very short time they release a small amount of their Reserve Cheddar to the public. It melts in your mouth. I love Cabot's cheeses. Many times Cabot has left European cheese in the dust in competitions. And Calfornia wines have come into their own also.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Cougar Gold Cheese made by the Washington State University Creamery. Fabulous! I send it to my relatives every year for xmas and it's the best cheddar I've ever had. Their 3 year cheddar is a mouth watering wonder and the conventional 1 year aged beats any domestic I've had, hands down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cheese.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	13628

The make a few other cheeses and some of the seasonal ones are excellent. Black pepper chive is one of my favorites.

They ship.....
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Boy, my hubby and I must be cheese wimps. We prefer the one or two year Balderson Cheddar to the more aged ones. But then, we don't drink wine: I bet that helps!

Tags
None