What is the best Aged Cheddar you've had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You prefer beer to cheddar? Or beer to wine? (guessing that you mean you drink beer with your cheese, not wine). I had to give up all alcohol due to depression, 20 years ago. I'm a party pooper now....but still like to eat and feast and party.

Last edited:
I keep seeing that at Costco. I guess I'll have to pick up some.

Start with the 2 or 3 year old. Specially if you prefer stinky to sharp ;). If you start now, but Christmas you will be ready for the 6 year!

All this talk is making me feel there is a Costco trip in my very near future! I have cheese and crackers for my afternoon snack with my medications and I think it's time I treat myself! :rolleyes:

So we went to one of those supermarkets that make their shtick on "fresh", "local", "organic" etc.

They had some cheddar there that was simply label with the aging 2, 3 or 4 years. I picked up a small block of 4 year old to give it a whirl. I like a good sharp cheddar.

FrankZ said:
So we tried this cheese we got tonight... oh goodness it is horrible.

:ROFLMAO: Not your experience, the way you put it!

So sorry, Frank.

Last edited:
I'm Danish. I prefer my cheese to get stinky as it ages over getting sharp. :LOL: :pig:
hey taxlady
guess it's gotta be esrom then:pig:!fabulous cheese,when bolas & i were kids dad used to bag it up,wrap it in 3 layers of foil,put it in the outbuilding & it still stank the house out! even the dog didn't get the blame for that one...............:LOL:!!
haven't seen it for years but i'm going down to costco today to renew my membership so,maybe,just maybe..............
harry

I'm Danish. I prefer my cheese to get stinky as it ages over getting sharp. :LOL: :pig:
I'm a lover of stinky cheese, too. My wife went to Chicago last week and brought a few back with her. I'm surprised she made the entire drive back with this bag of cheese in the car. Though completely closed up, I could smell it as soon as she brought it in the house. I thought maybe she had brought a bag of dirty diapers with her. Her car STILL smells funky! :LOL:

One of the cheeses was called "Ewe Bloom". My first thought upon opening the package and getting the first whiff was "Ewwww is right." Tasty stuff, though.

Last edited:
I'm a lover of stinky cheese, too. My wife went to Chicago last week and brought a few back with her. I'm surprised she made the entire drive back with this bag of cheese in the car. Though completely closed up, I could smell it as soon as she brought it in the house. I thought maybe she had brought a bag of dirty diapers with her. Her car STILL smells funky! :LOL:

One of the cheeses was called "Ewe Bloom". My first thought upon opening the package and getting the first whiff was "Ewwww is right." Tasty stuff, though.
hi steve
sure you've tried it but, if not,and as a fellow lover of stinky cheese,give pont l'eveque a whirl.you won't be disappointed:yum:!
harry

Thankfully no. The cheese was $17/lb and we spent about $5 on this.

The best way to describe it would be picture aged Velveeta, but in a really really bad way. UGH.

Urk! At least at our cheese counter they let us taste before we buy.

hey taxlady
guess it's gotta be esrom then:pig:!fabulous cheese,when bolas & i were kids dad used to bag it up,wrap it in 3 layers of foil,put it in the outbuilding & it still stank the house out! even the dog didn't get the blame for that one...............:LOL:!!
haven't seen it for years but i'm going down to costco today to renew my membership so,maybe,just maybe..............
harry
When my husband had his first breakfast in Denmark, I saw his face go funny. I asked what was the matter. He replied, "It's a vicious attack cheese! But, it's good." :LOL:

Danes talk about tying their cheese down with a string, so it won't run away. ;)

Back
Top Bottom