"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

I use lol, kroger brand and walmart brand. I stock up on any of these when they are on sale and really do not find enough of a difference to make a difference.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #32
Master Chef

Interesting stuff. Seems like a lot of it just boils down to taste preference and for some of us what we grew up with and became accustomed to.
I too would like to try some of the European butters as well as Amish butter. Blue Bunny is readily available in most rural parts of IL, just not Chicago making me think they somehow can't break into the market here steadily.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
I'll tell you what...I had the best butter ever at the Bellagio in Vegas on our honeymoon. Funny...it's our honeymoon and one of the key points I remember is the butter!
Did you ever see Last Tango in Paris?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
The only difference I see among the different brands of butter is the saltiness of salted butter.
Considering a pound of salted butter contains approxiametely 1/8 teaspoon of salt, if you can taste the difference between salted and unsalted butter, you should consider a career in wine tasting.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Considering a pound of salted butter contains approximately 1/8 teaspoon of salt, if you can taste the difference between salted and unsalted butter, you should consider a career in wine tasting.
Yep, Caine, I can most definitely tell the difference between salted and unsalted butter. And, as it turns out, I recently discovered I can tell the difference in saltiness between different brands of salted butter.

As for the wine tasting career, where I live I would probably starve. I live in a "dry" area. No alcohol.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

According to the Land O Lakes website, there are 95 mg of sodium in a tablespoon of salted butter. That works out to 3,040 mg of sodium in a pound of butter. (95 mg x 32 Tb in a Lb.)

There are 2,300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon salt so, doing the math, there are 1.32 teaspoons of salt in a pound of butter, not 0.125 tsp.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #37
Master Chef

I am not a huge fan of salt in most cases, but DW insists on buying salted butter. I told her why it is salted, and she said that was interesting to know, so apparently her insisting on buying salted butter was based solely on taste.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
...her insisting on buying salted butter was based solely on taste.

That's why butter is salted.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's why butter is salted.
That's not the only reason:
The addition of salt to butter is to inhibit the growth of organisms that would otherwise sour the butter.. to quote Goodweed.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Actually, the reason butter is salted (and the reason many times unsalted butter carries a higher price) is that the salt is a preservative and extends shelf life. My friend used to work for the WI dairy council and I asked this question years ago.

I didn't mean to imply that we never buy the store brand ... but where affordable or special occasions, I do think premium butter is worth the splurge.

Someone mentioned Sam's Club butter ... our Sam's carries Mid America Farms, which I don't think is a Sam Walton proprietary brand. They do have another product in full pound blocks, but that would be a mess with my family. It is usually no less expensive than a local dairy butter around here, so I go for what is affordable at the time.

As for Blue Bunny, I have not seen their milk or butter, but their sour cream and chip dip are worth the extra 50 cents. Believe it or not, only Walmart carries it here!

Tags
None