Cooking time for Frozen in Place of Fresh Berries in Muffins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianMeg

Senior Cook
How much should I adjust the baking time for muffins made with frozen berries in place of fresh berries? Any idea? Just use max baking time in original recipe? :)

I would have to say "dont use the berries frozen". Couple reasons:
1. Freezing fruits and veg break the cell walls and become structurally different.
2. Using them frozen will add water to your batter as they thaw in the oven and in your batter.

If you are going to use frozen berries i would thaw them out and drain the excess water.

hope this helps

I don't bother to adjust times. It works fine without. Don't forget to toss your berries in some flour first though.

Ditto to what Alix said. Though I don't even bother tossing them in flour...haven't had too many problems.

I do the same as Alix and others--don't thaw the berries an toss them in just a little flour (just a Tbsp or so, depending on how much berries the recipe calls for) first.

Yes, when you thaw the frozen fruits/vegetables they produce way too much liquid. Cook them frozen, just make sure the oven is well pre-heated so they will cook quickly enough before all the liquid oozes out.
To coat the berries flour serves as a "barrier", it will absorb the extra moisture that may come out of the berries.

I ended up having time to make them before checking back here. I did flour the frozen berries and baked at normal temp/time. My only disappointment was in the recipe I had. Waste of good wild blueberries! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom