ISO Perfect Cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Anyone have a TNT (tried and true) recipe for cornbread?
I'm looking for the kind that doesn't have any kernels in it.

This is the best cornbread I've ever had, but it's so fattening that I only make it once in a blue moon:

2 c Bisquick
1 c butter
1 c Half & Half
1 c yellow cornmeal
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Scald cream with butter. Add to thoroughly mixed dry ingrediants. Mix in eggs.

Pout into a greased and floured 13 X 9-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

:heart:
Z

Jkath, this is one from the back of White Lilly white self rising cornmeal mix. I make it all the time.

2 C. self rising cornmeal mix
1 1/4 to 1 1/2C. milk or buttermilk
1/4C. vegetable oil or melted shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 to 2Tbsp. sugar(optional- I leave it out)

Preheat a well greased 8 or 10 inch skillet in 425F oven.

Combine all ingredients just until moistened, batter should be lumpy.

Carefully remove skillet from oven & pour batter into hot skillet.

Bake 25-30 minutes for an 8 inch skillet or 20-25 minutes for a 10 inch skillet or until top is golden brown.

Slice & serve. Makes 8 servings.

Best cornbread is a very personal thing. Some like their cornbread sweet, others do not. Some like it firm, others like it a little mushy. Some like it hot with peppers, others don't....

Chocolatchef, you are very right! I like my cornbread light & fluffy on the inside & very crisp on the outside. I also perfer it not sweet & hubby likes his sweet unless I make it with cracklin's/ If I'm having cornbread & milk though, I like it thin & crunchy so it soaks up the milk without getting too mushy.

the best ever corn bread

In the South, I live in Tennessee< we make a lot of cornbread.
I happen to like sugar in mine. Some do and some don't

we also use either White Lily or Martha White self rising flour as It is a softer wheat. We also use buttermilk. It does make a difference

Best-Ever Traditional Southern Cornbread

3 cups Self-Rising Cornmeal Mix
2 to 3 Tbs. sugar (optional)
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
3 large eggs, beaten
2-1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter or margarine, divided

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine cornmeal mix and sugar, if using, and set aside. Add vegetable oil to a 10- or 11-inch cast-iron skillet. Place in oven for 10 minutes to heat skillet.

Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine egg, buttermilk and 1/4 cup melted butter. Add all at once to cornmeal mixture. Stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy). Remove skillet from oven and swirl oil to coat bottom and side. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Brush remaining 1/4 cup melted butter over top. Serve warm.

Variation: To make cornsticks, substitute a well-oiled cast-iron cornstick mold. Heat as directed above. Fill each indentation about 3/4 full and bake for 12-15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Brush as above with melted butter. Let stand 2 minutes before removing from the pan. Yield: 8-10 servings
Hope you make these and enjoy them

Linda in Tennessee

My local grocery stores carry this boxed stuff, called Jiffy Corn Mix, or somthing like that. The box is blue and about the size of one of those small Grape Nuts boxes, and the recipe on the back is pretty darn good! Then again, I'm not too picky about my cornbread. The best part is, this stuff is only 42 cents a box!

college_cook said:
My local grocery stores carry this boxed stuff, called Jiffy Corn Mix, or somthing like that. The box is blue and about the size of one of those small Grape Nuts boxes, and the recipe on the back is pretty darn good! Then again, I'm not too picky about my cornbread. The best part is, this stuff is only 42 cents a box!

Yep, although it isn't homemade, it is still good...and easy, you only mix it with milk, egg and oil

The Absolute Best and Easiest Cornbread Even

Hi!
The recipe that I like best for cornbread is so easy; just:

Make 1 pkg yellow cake mix following the package directions.

In another bowl, make 1 pkg of cornbread mix following the package directions.

Pour the two mixes together and stir to blend well.

Grease one 9"X13" or two 9x9" baking pans. Pour the blended mixes into the prepare pan(s), spreading evenly. Bake at the temperature and for the time recommended for the cake mix or until the cornbread springs back with touched lightly.

This recipe makes a light, wonderful cornbread......hope you enjoy it.

Sher :chef:

I have never heard of doing that - what a concept!
I'm wondering if it came about by two people sharing a kitchen!

Thanks, Sher, and welcome (from a fellow Southern Californian) to our cooking board!!!
Please introduce yourself on the Introductions thread - everyone would like to say "hi" to you!

I hope that you will try it sometime.....everyone who has ever tried it says they love it. It is my favorite.....not too sweet, not too dry and not too dense, but just right!!

And, thanks for the hint about introducing myself on the Introductions thread. I will do that.

Happy cooking!
Sher

I've been making this recipe for years. It's out of "Thrill of the Grill" by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. You can tell how much I like this recipe, as when you open the cookbook, it automatically opens to this recipe.

East Coast Grill Cornbread
yields: enough to fill a 10” cast iron skillet (thick),
or a 12” cast iron skillet (thin)
Oven @ 350°F

2 c all-purpose flour
1 c corn meal
¾ c sugar
½ t salt
1 T baking powder
2 eggs
1 ½ c milk
4 t vegetable oil
½ c melted butter

Muffin method. Sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate container, mix together the liquid ingredients. All at once, add the liquids to the dry and mix just until combined. Incorporate butter after liquids. Bake @ 350°F for 40 - 45 minutes in preheated, greased cast iron skillet.

Here is a great recipe from Junior's Juke Joint (see link below):

MISSISSIPPI
DELTA CORNBREAD

Cornbread IngredientsLined up across the top of my stove, check out all you need to make perfect cornbread.

* Milk
* Oil
* Corn Meal Mix
* An Egg
* A Cast Iron Skillet

I use olive oil because it's heart healthy. If you want to make cornbread like Muddy Waters's momma and my momma made it, use bacon drippings. If you want to be really heart healthy, use the white of an egg and feed the yoke to the cat. Be aware that your cornbread won't stick together very well and that cats should watch their cholesterol too. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, click here and buy one or click here and return to the juke joint. You've got no business trying to make cornbread without a cast iron skillet.

This recipe calls for a 6 ½ inch skillet, Lodge Manufacturing # 3SK2. It makes plenty of cornbread for two people. If you double the recipe, use an 8 inch skillet, Lodge # 5SK2. It makes plenty of cornbread for four people. Double everything but the egg.

Here's the 6 ½ inch skillet recipe:

* 1 cup cornmeal mix
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1 egg
* 2 tablespoons oil
(1 for the batter, 1 for the skillet)

Here's the 8 inch skillet recipe:

* 2 cups cornmeal mix
* 1 1/2 cup milk
* 1 egg
* 4 tablespoons oil
(2 for the batter, 2 for the skillet)

Notice that my recipe does not call for sugar. Real cornbread does not contain sugar. If you insist on putting sugar in your cornbread, click here. You just got throwed out of the juke joint. Go bake a cake.

http://www.deltablues.net/cbread.html

I made the East Coast Grill recipe that AllenMI posted yesterday.

The results were delicious! This recipe might just be a keeper.

A confession. Since I don't have a cast iron skillet, I made it in an All-Clad 10" stainless steel skillet instead. As I said, it came out great.

Andy, it's great to know it worked in your pan! I don't have a cast iron either so have always wondered what I could use in its place. Thanks for being the Guinea Pig! :)

Thanks, PA Baker.

You have to like your cornbread sweet if you're going to use this recipe. It calls for 3/4 cup of sugar. I may try it with a half cup next time.

I don't have a cast iron either, but I use my pampered chef "family skillet" (I think that's what it's called) for all oven stuff, especially pineapple upside down cake.

Thanks again all for your great recipes!

You've all made me hungry for cornbread. I'm going to make some today!

Sara

Back
Top Bottom