"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
1875 Jug Help

Hubby & I did an estate sale for his great aunt today & as we were going through things last night, getting it all set up, hubby ran across this beautiful jug. It is dated 1875 & around that it says EX-OPTIMO. On the bottom it says Price T Aristol in an intented oval. It's rather small as you can tell in the pics. Any ideas what it could have been used for? Hubby said maybe moonshine, I agree somewhat, but due to it's size, I'd be more likely to say something like cane syrup. Any ideas on what it could be worth? Not that I really care because I'd keep it even it was only worth a penny. Sorry about the pics, I can't get our digital camera to work so I'm stuck withthe webcam.

Attached Images

Old 03-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'd say it is more likely a syrup jug since it has a pour spout. A moonshine jug would have a smooth neck so a cork could form a tight seal. Don't want to waste any good squeezins', ya know.

Can't give you any value. I have no clue. However, you do have some information to use as clues: Ex-Optimo and Price T Aristol. Although, a Google search of Price T Aristol brought up a European hotel. Still, with some sleuthing, and with the help of all the folks across the world who view this board, you might get a better answer than you could imagine. There are lots of eyes to help you.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

I Googled both of those & got the same thing for Price T Aristol, for EX_OPTIMO everything was in a diffrent language & I was totally lost!

Thanks Katie!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Crewsk...

I have trouble with English..So I am guessing here.

Ex-Optimo I believe is Latin

Ex = from,,,out of,,,from within

Optimo(Optimus) = the best,,,one of the best,,,aristocrat,,,noble

Ex-Optimo = From the best, Out of the Best, From Within the best.

Our english word "Optimal"(meaning "the best") comes from the latin Optimo/Optimus....maybe?

Don't Y'all laugh...I'm tryin!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
DC Grandma

Crewsk,
I sent the pictures on to my niece (Paul's niece) in N.C. Her 91 year old mom is living there. She might know. I think it was for something like Molasses or syrup
Marge
I have a "corn squeezing " jug and there is no pour spout and a corn cob as a stopper.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
Head Chef

Aristol is an import company among other business interest to include the Aristol Hotel in Barcelona Spain. During the 1875 time period, Navajos in the Catholic Church Records of New Mexico, were producing pottery of this type and had business dealings with Aristol.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thans Uncle Bib, Marge, & SB!!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
DC Grandma

I just talked to my niece in North Carolina..They have no idea other than what was said on here.
Did you keep the jug?
The one I have came out of one of the out buildings where the Preacher lived...Paul's folks bought the old house while he was in the Navy. He found the jug many, many years later. His mother was speechless to think that it was found in the preachers house....LOL
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I can tell from the shape of the vessel, that it was designed to hold some type of non-solid form of subtance. It was made out of a clay-like substance too. Furthermore, if you put you lips on the rip JUST the right way, it makes a hollow, low frequency tone.
Alas if you REALLLLY want to know, then go here: Antique Bottle Collector's Haven
(do I get a finders fee?? :) )
Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks Marge! I did keep the jug, I'm just trying to find a place to put it & in my house that's a chore initself!

Thanks Sush! I searched that site high & low & still couldn't find one like it. I wonder if the pour spout on the jug will give it a diffrent tone? I'll have to try it later when everyone is awake.