"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-12-2015, 12:30 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I vividly remember watching the attacks in horror on a classroom TV at one of my schools.
I was a teacher in a classroom then, too. Wow, talk about having to keep your wits about you during that horrific time for the children's sake. I'll never forget. My daughter, who was in middle school at the time, is now a teacher of very young children. She fought back the tears today while trying to gently explain the significance of 9/11 as the children made American flags for their craft today.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was a school psychologist at the high school. One of our history teachers was on her break and running around the hallway waving her arms, saying they hit the White House (they didn't). I went into one of the special education rooms that had a TV, and watched the next plane hit the second tower. Horrifying.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I was a school psychologist at the high school. One of our history teachers was on her break and running around the hallway waving her arms, saying they hit the White House (they didn't). I went into one of the special education rooms that had a TV, and watched the next plane hit the second tower. Horrifying.
Oh man.... don't you hate when people over exaggerate stuff?
ChefAlexCardinale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefAlexCardinale View Post
Oh man.... don't you hate when people over exaggerate stuff?
I don't think that's what she was doing. People were panicked not knowing whether the four planes that were hijacked were the only ones. There were a lot of rumors flying around because people were so scared - especially if they had family in New York or Washington, DC. I too remember hearing that the White House had been attacked. She was probably just repeating something she had heard.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't think that's what she was doing. People were panicked not knowing whether the four planes that were hijacked were the only ones. There were a lot of rumors flying around because people were so scared - especially if they had family in New York or Washington, DC. I too remember hearing that the White House had been attacked. She was probably just repeating something she had heard.

Yes. There was horrible confusion.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We walked in the mall in between watching buildings being hit, there was an eerie hush over the crowd in the mall. Was not a good time at all. We had been ready to go out for the day and I heard the report of the first plane hitting the WTC, we went home and walked in to see the second tower hit in real time. It was a very traumatic day, even for folks who lived nowhere near the crashes.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We walked in the mall in between watching buildings being hit, there was an eerie hush over the crowd in the mall. Was not a good time at all. We had been ready to go out for the day and I heard the report of the first plane hitting the WTC, we went home and walked in to see the second tower hit in real time. It was a very traumatic day, even for folks who lived nowhere near the crashes.
Yes, the quietness in the aftermath was definitely disturbing. The airspace overhead was shut down and the naval aircraft we were so used to hearing was suddenly gone.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
Senior Cook

It happened while I was getting ready to leave for work. There was silence at the office, the phones didn't ring, the traffic was non-existent, no one spoke, lots of tears, we watched in horror on the TV in my office where everyone gathered. Disbelief, everything seemed to move in slow motion.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Boston had a sense of shame because the planes took off from here. There was no subway service. So you had to take several buses home if you used public transportation. Took forever to get home. The city was so quiet. No one was talking. Not even to the person next to you, even if it was a friend or family member. Except for those waiting for a bus, the streets were empty.

For about two weeks after, you felt like the city was in lockdown. Logan Airport was shut down tight. Not one sound of engines readying for takeoff. When the subways started to run again, the Blue Line didn't even stop at the Airport Station.

My next door neighbors were Muslims that traveled to their homeland at least twice a year. Federal Agents were in my neighborhood every day. They ended up raiding their homes and the store. Found nothing. They had been naturalized American citizens for more than 40 years.

Not a pleasant time for anyone.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Your right. I didn't think of it that way. It was probably the worst day America has ever had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've always said 9/11 was the worst day. I've never ever heard of America becoming silent, because us Americans are out-going, talk a lot, and friendly. So for us to be silent on that day, symbolizes the damage and trauma of 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Boston had a sense of shame because the planes took off from here. There was no subway service. So you had to take several buses home if you used public transportation. Took forever to get home. The city was so quiet. No one was talking. Not even to the person next to you, even if it was a friend or family member. Except for those waiting for a bus, the streets were empty.

For about two weeks after, you felt like the city was in lockdown. Logan Airport was shut down tight. Not one sound of engines readying for takeoff. When the subways started to run again, the Blue Line didn't even stop at the Airport Station.

My next door neighbors were Muslims that traveled to their homeland at least twice a year. Federal Agents were in my neighborhood every day. They ended up raiding their homes and the store. Found nothing. They had been naturalized American citizens for more than 40 years.

Not a pleasant time for anyone.
I can vouch for you I live in Springfield MA.
My parents were planning a vacation for us to Florida on September 15, 2001 I think it was and we were going to fly but we had to reschedule to either January or February don't remember. But I do remember when we did get on the plan all those months later, my parents and I as well as other passengers were very aware of our surroundings and luckily it was a normal flight. But as you can imagine, took a while to get on the plane as security had increased and such.....

ChefAlexCardinale is offline   Reply With Quote