"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Aunt Dot,

Those worms you saw on your dill were probably Monarch butterfly larva. I plant some dill in my garden, just for that reason. If you are ever fortuante to be there when the butterfly is coming out of the cacoon, you will be entranced.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

Yes - please don't destroy any caterpillars you find on parsley, dill, or fennel.
They're actually not Monarch butterfly larvae, as Oldcampcook stated - they're Swallowtail butterfly larvae. Monarch butterflies host on Milkweed - not parsley/dill/fennel. The caterpillars do look very similar, which is probably why Oldcampcook thought they were Monarchs.

In fact, I try to plant more than enough of parsley & dill so both the butterflies & I can enjoy them. And when I find the caterpillars on plants I've staked out for myself, I carefully move them over to the "buffet" I've grown just for them - lol.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
Cook

I have my first garden ever this year, yeah!!! Anyways one night I get a call from my roommate who was up at the garden, he told me to get up here because there is this really cool caterpillar like thing that he had never seen before. After a week or so we found out it was a tomato worm. Coolest looking thing ever! I don't think it did much damage, but we watched him for about 45 minutes and it was very interesting. We planted marigolds when we planted the tomatoes, we have a total of 7 tomato plants and 8 marigolds in between them. We have yet to see another worm, but I was wondering if you find more are the more around. Also last night we were peacefully picking beans, tomatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, and peppers when my roommate yells out and tells me not to come where he is because I would freak out. Of course I went over to where he was and oh my gosh a big ol snake!!!!!! I screamed yelled and high tailed it out of the garden. I'm such a wuss. It was pretty big and all brown. Anyone know if snakes harm your garden or help it? It was still in there when we left last night and I was going to water by myself tonight but now I'm not so sure!