Abbreviations, Punctuation, Following the Crowd on the WWW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was not intended. I was merely trying to point out that there is a demographic that has widely accepted this form of communication as perfectly valid and actually preferred. A demographic that you (and I) do not belong to.

If you divided my age by 2 (or would that be 3 :blush: :ohmy: could it even be by 4?) I would very cleverly fit in that demographic!

That was not intended. I was merely trying to point out that there is a demographic that has widely accepted this form of communication as perfectly valid and actually preferred. A demographic that you (and I) do not belong to.
Okay!! I just took how you said it wrong. Like I was some old crone who couldn't understand teens. Not that I fully understand mine, but I do have one in the house that I do grasp some of what they do.

Then you of all people can agree that netspeak is widely known and accepted by teens.

Last edited:
Then you of all people can agree that netspeak is widely known and accepted by teens.
Actually, as you can see from my prior comments, no. My daughter and her friends, juniors in high school, try not to netspeak. They have SATs and have learned that too much netspeak can have a negative impact on SAT scores. Again, they do use it in texting because of the character limits per text, but for boards and myspace and others that they use the computer for they use regular words in general.

You are proving my point though. I did not say they use it all the time. I simply said it is widely known and accepted. By the sole fact that your daughter and her friends have made a decision to try to not do it that shown that they know what it is (widely known). By the fact that you told me that they do use it for texting that shows that they use it (accepted).

Also, just because your daughter and her friends have made that decision, are you telling me that you believe they are indicative of the majority of teens or do not not believe that your daughter and her friends are in the minority?

Hmm I get thank you notes from all student age kids that I know when I give them something worthy of a thank you note.

As for written invitations, evites are a much more efficient, less expensive, better method for inviting people. An evite is instant, does not cost any money, and automatically tracks who is coming, not coming, or possibly coming. I see nothing wrong with using technology for that.

different strokes, to be sure....

If it was not accepted then we would not be having this conversation. I asked before, but you didn't answer. Do you believe that your daughter and her friends are indicative of the majority of teens or do you believe that your daughter and her friends are in the minority?

I never said that well taught, educated teens are not rejecting it, but you certainly can not tell me that every well taught educated teen is rejecting it. And what about the teens that are not well taught? Are you just ignoring that they exist?

But again, by your own words
Callisto in NC said:
Again, they do use it in texting because of the character limits per text
so really they are not rejecting it. They have actually accepted it.

What ever happened to old fashioned Grammer school English?????????????????
High school English, ????????????????????
When I was in school text ment a page of meaningfull words. gosh what a concept

And my point is that NO, it is not accepted. Well taught, educated teens are rejecting it.

I have to strongly disagree with that. We've hosted six exchange students over the years, and most of them are very strong students. They generally take the most rigorous academic classes (AP and honors) and excel in them while becoming fluent in the everyday use of English (they study it for several years before coming over, but that's different from using it all day, every day for 10 months). The last two were here in the last three years, as texting was becoming more and more popular, and both use that in their emails to us, as well as instant messaging. They certainly know the difference between that and writing a paper for a class.

I don't see it as any different than the many acronyms we use here at DC - it just saves time when IM'ing and character usage when texting. No biggie :)

Last edited:
But again, by your own words so really they are not rejecting it. They have actually accepted it.
No, again, you are twisting what I said in relation to this thread. This thread is about its use ON THE INTERNET. The point of this thread was not texting using a phone where you have a limited number of characters you can use. The thread was about the internet. And accepting something is subjective. They have not accepted the concept but rather the need based on limitations. I accept that I people to have satelite to get the NFL network, doesn't mean I embrace it.

I have to strongly disagree with that. We've hosted six exchange students over the years, and most of them are very strong students. They generally take the most rigorous academic classes (AP and honors) and excel in them while becoming fluent in the everyday use of English (they study it for several years before coming over, but that's different from using it all day, every day for 10 months). The last two were here in the last three years, as texting was becoming more and more popular, and both use that in their emails to us, as well as instant messaging. They certainly know the difference between that and writing a paper for a class.

I don't see it as any different than the many acronyms we use here at DC - it just saves time when IM'ing and character usage when texting. No biggie :)
So six students you influenced is your criteria? Sorry, that doesn't work for me.

So six students you influenced is your criteria? Sorry, that doesn't work for me.

I don't see where I said my influence had anything to do with it. You said, "Well taught, educated teens are rejecting it." I disagree with that.

There was no need to "repeat" yourself. I got what you said the first time. You said six exchange students you hosted. If you hosted them, you influenced the.

There was no need to "repeat" yourself. I got what you said the first time. You said six exchange students you hosted. If you hosted them, you influenced the.

I didn't teach them netspeak, nor have I indicated whether I approve or disapprove of it - I don't even use it myself. They learned it on their own and use it when communicating with us, but we don't use it in return. We haven't really talked about it because I don't see it as an issue. And as a matter of fact, I am currently working on a Certificate in Professional Writing at a local university. One class for the certificate was Writing in Electronic Environments, where we discussed, created different ways of communicating using electronic media. There's a time and place for everything.

They have not accepted the concept but rather the need based on limitations. I accept that I people to have satelite to get the NFL network, doesn't mean I embrace it.
Who ever said anything about embracing? We were talking about accepting. Your analogy does not hold.

Anyway you still have not answered my question about Do you believe that your daughter and her friends are indicative of the majority of teens or do you believe that your daughter and her friends are in the minority? When Gotgarlic told of experiences with exchange students you wrote back that it didn't work for you because of the number of students. Do your daughter and her friends comprise that many more people that it would be statistically significant?

Who ever said anything about embracing? We were talking about accepting. Your analogy does not hold.

Anyway you still have not answered my question about Do you believe that your daughter and her friends are indicative of the majority of teens or do you believe that your daughter and her friends are in the minority? When Gotgarlic told of experiences with exchange students you wrote back that it didn't work for you because of the number of students. Do your daughter and her friends comprise that many more people that it would be statistically significant?
Majority and yes. And, no, I did not tell him it didn't work because of the NUMBER, I said it didn't work because he had influence over them all. There's a difference.

And so there are no doubts that I'm done with this here's an image to express my doneness. Have a good one.

Last edited:
Well I just find it interesting that we are even having this conversation since it is obvious that the majority of teens these days have embraced netspeak as is evident in popular culture, on TV, in magazines, all over the internet, and I could go on. there are constantly stories in the news about teachers and professors who are amazed that their students think it is appropriate to use netspeak on their exams. You must be right though. The majority of kids these days must reject netspeak and it is only a small percentage that these new stories are about and it is just a few people who are typing these things on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom