Am I The Only One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I first moved to Texas I'd never heard of the ham hocks, black-eyed peas, cornbread and greens combination for New Year's.

It's become tradition. It's fun! Enjoy.

I'll be joining you Uncle Bob. I always make some black-eyed peas and ham on New Years Day.

Your menu is on the money, Bob; mine differs only in the greens, which will be a mix of Collards, Mustard greens and kale.

Am I the only one that will be eating black-eyed peas and hog jowl/ham hock/pork of some kind on New Years Day?????

I'll also have a pone of Cornbread that will make you wanna slap ya mammy!!;)
The black eyed peas were pretty good when I had them in the Army but I didn't get a recipe. Could you please tell us how you make them??

I cook the blackeyed peas with some ham, then the rice is cooked separate. We don't have greens, but our "green" is cole slaw. We also have some good cornbread with NO sugar. When the food is plated, it will be a serving of rice with blackeyed peas served over and diced sweet onion on top and cornbread along side. My mother uses hog jowl, but I don't. The ham is a good flavoring for the peas. We only have the peas one time a year. I don't enjoy the taste or the texture, so it is only for tradition that I serve them. The rest of the meal I enjoy.

The black eyed peas were pretty good when I had them in the Army but I didn't get a recipe. Could you please tell us how you make them??

Morning Bill. Happy New Year!

I don't have a 'formal' recipe for black-eyed peas. It's more of a seat-of the- pants deal for me. Here are some basic ideas. Use dry peas that come in 1 pound bags. About 1/2 bag will make a nice pot for 2 or 3 folks. Cover well and soak the peas over night in plain water. This re-hydrates them speeding up the cooking time. Pour off the excess water (there should be some, so soak in plenty of water) Boil/simmer the peas in water until done. Seasoning meats can be almost anything. Hog jowl, ham hocks, bacon, chunks of ham, andouille, tasso, smoked pork neck bones, country ham, a ham bone, etc. etc. Other seasongs can include, onion, bell pepper, garlic, parsley, green onions, salt, and pepper to name a few. The simplest idea is just boil/simmer them, seasoned with some type of seasoning meat with salt and pepper. From there just...

Have Fun & Enjoy!

I`m not sure if this counts or even if it would meet anyones standards, but this was last nights dinner:
ricebeans.JPG

hmmmmmm looks pretty good, but more like red beans than black-eyed peas... ;)

Here in southern Il, the tradition is ham'n beans (using the last of the Christmas ham), corn bread and cabbage. If a hambone is not available, hog jowl or ham hocks are used.
We'll be cooking ours tonight, as our youngest grandson's 10th birthday is tomorrow, and he wants cheeseburgers for his birthday dinner.

Last edited:
I have a couple of bags of fresh black eyed peas to cook tomorrow. Of course ya gotta have corn bread with them.
You cook black eyed peas like any other dried beans. The fresh ones I will make a stock with either ham hocks or salt pork first to cook them in.

Cannot do New Year's Day due to geographic restraints (Lou heads back to Philly on Tuesday:()...But we will be at Delta Grill on New Year's Eve coming as close as possible to New Year's Day with pretty much the same menu as you!

Happy New Year, Uncle Bob

Cannot do New Year's Day due to geographic restraints (Lou heads back to Philly on Tuesday:()...But we will be at Delta Grill on New Year's Eve coming as close as possible to New Year's Day with pretty much the same menu as you!

Happy New Year, Uncle Bob

I'll make sure there are no points taken off of your "luck" for the year, by eating them a little early!!;)

Happy New Year to you Miss Blue!

(I wonder what will be happening on Rue Bourbon tonight?)

Here in southern Il, the tradition is ham'n beans (using the last of the Christmas ham), corn bread and cabbage. If a hambone is not available, hog jowl or ham hocks are used.
We'll be cooking ours tonight, as our youngest grandson's 10th birthday is tomorrow, and he wants cheeseburgers for his birthday dinner.

heheheheheh ;) who asked him? (just kidding, just kidding!)

I'll make sure there are no points taken off of your "luck" for the year, by eating them a little early!!;)

Happy New Year to you Miss Blue!

(I wonder what will be happening on Rue Bourbon tonight?)

Lou and I were on Rue Bourbon two New Year's Eves ago...about 4 months after Katrina, actually. It was as hoppin' as could be expected. We didn't get to see the fireworks, which is what we really went down for... The fog was the thickest I'd ever seen in my life.

We're going back for the FQ jazzfest in April....Not doing Mardi Gras this year. What about you?

In spite of the JOB calling me several time yesterday, and an urgent request for some of "Dad's Chicken soup by an under-the-weather daughter, we managed to make everything on the list I posted. We had some new freinds over to the house along with the freinds we traditionally invite. The food was great and plentiful(you just have to try making pulled pork over a divided bed of charcoals, with chunks of hickory placed on top of the charcoal), with the freinds being even greater. We laughed as we recounted some of the stories from our youth (one of our new guests, the husband, had nearly as many stories as I have, and he helped me embellish my famous "Niagra River Incedent" tall tale by inserting the perfect questions or comments at just the right time. We laughed 'till our bellies hurt.

Recipe for a perfect New Year's Eve, by G.W.:

Warm freinds, as many as your home will comfortably handle, in a relaxed atmosphere

Good food and drink (all of us were non-alcoholic drinkers except the new couple's husband, and he reports that though there was no alcohol, he had one of the best times ever)

Be who you are, warts, moles, and all. (of course you know that I get better looking every day and so I don't have to worry about any of that:LOL:)

Be a genuine freind to all at your party/celebration.

Keep it small so that the freindships deepen and no-one feels left out.

When the hour hits, give your spouse, or that person who is special to you, a heartfelt kiss. Clink glasses with your freinds, and toast in the New Year.

After another 15 minutes or so, kick everybody out of the house and go to bed with your spouse, you know, to bring in the New Year properly;).

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh, that pulled pork, well it just makes an outstanding breakfast on some toasted whole wheat bread, with a perfectly poached egg on top.

Back
Top Bottom