Anniversary Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Tomorrow my wife and I will be celebrating out two year anniversary. On Saturday we will have the grandparents babysit and we will go out for a night alone. We have decided to go to Willies Steakhouse. I am very excited about this. We have been to their little Italian restaurant, Amici's Tratoria (right next door) a million times. It is one of our favorite places around so we have high hopes for this place. If you click on the menu button to the left of This link then you will see what they have.

I am not sure what I am going to order. I want sushi, but this is a steakhouse and they are supposed to have amazing aged steaks so I should really get something like that. Maybe I will get a sushi app. I also wanted some oysters, but I won't be getting those because of the red tide problem we are having.
Here is my question. What would you order?

Last edited:
Have a Happy Happy one GB!
It's really great that you two can go out for a night alone. Lucky you to have someone ta watch over the baby.. :angel: how are all of you doing now..
Marge :) :) :)

GB, congratulations on your anniversary! Have a great celebration!

Here are my menu choices:

Apps: Oysters, crab cakes, shrimp cocktail-depends on my mood. (I know you love sushi but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to a steakhouse)

Salad: Caesar

Entree: 20 Oz. NY Strip, 24 Oz. Porterhouse, Veal Chop

Sides: Garlic mashed (or maybe lyonnaise) and creamed spinach

Dessert: Where's the dessert menu?????

Wine: Since it's your anniversary, you should have champagne. If not, I like a red zin with grilled meat.

Top it all off with a snifter of cognac.

I wish you many more such celebrations!

Thanks Marge! We are doing great. Our little girl spoils us rotten. She is such a good baby. She only cries when she is hungry or tired or dirty and as soon as we feed her, change her, or put her to bed she is happy again. She even smilies WHILE she is crying sometimes.

We are very lucky that we have so many people who want to babysit for us. That is one thing we will never lack luckily :)

Lovely place, GB! Here's my order:

Steakhouse Salad
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Iceberg wedge, marinated tomato, red onion & blue cheese dressing[/font]

Steamed Asparagus with Hollandaise

Filet Mignon (medium to medium well)

2003 Coastal Ridge Zinfandel
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brilliant blushing color with the taste of berries and citrus[/font]

And, with my dessert (hopefully a mousse au chocolat or perhaps a cheesecake)
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1998 Grande Maison Cuvee Monsieur (Monbazillac)[/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rich and silky with flavors of pear pineapple and honey[/font]

HAPPY 2 YEARS!!!!

When I am at a steak place I usually start with a dirty martini. :ohmy:

I'm with Andy! Shrimp cocktail. Caesar. Small NY strip. Did I see hashed browns or creamed spinach? Those are my steak house favs.

and cheesecake for dessert.

Then just shoot me to put me out of my misery!

"The wedding anniversary is observed more universally than any other. It is the event which brought in its train most happiness, and which has never lost its beauty and romance to those who started out in life together, properly mated." - Annie R. White, 1891

Happy 2 years, to you and your bride, GB

The restaurant sounds great, GB! You better be careful, or you're going to have a lot of people show up at your anniversary dinner!

My choices:
Lobster Bisque
Coconut Shrimp
Beefsteak Tomato and Buffalo Mozzarella (although the Asian greens salad sounds wonderful, too!)
Small Strip with Butternut Squash Puree and Lyonnaise Potatoes

Have a wonderful time and happy anniversary!

congrats on your anniversary, geebs!
i'd usually get the oysters on the half, but what w/ the red tide problem, guess that's not such a beautiful idea. i would more than likely get the sashimi appetizer or the mussels as an app.
then i'd probably end up getting the petite filet and lobster or the rack of lamb. that'd be a tough call. for sides, garlic mashed potatoes for either dish and if i got the lamb, sauteed spinach; if i got the steak and lobster, asparagus and hollandaise.
have a good time at dinner and be sure to let us know how it went!
as for wine, i dunno! that's hard to pick.

Last edited:
Happy #2! May you have a day filled with love and romance and extra hugs.

What a great looking menu.
I think I'd start with some sushi
maybe, some Ebi and Hamachi
and then a serving of [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tenderloin Beef Tips Sauté.

I'd head to the local ice cream shop for dessert and share a vanilla cone with my hubby.

Have a great time!!!!:)
[/font]

Happy Anniversary GB...Have a wonderful evening and enjoy your romantic meal:) Hugs to the little one:)

kadesam

Happy Anniversary!!!

Congratulations, GB
May all of your tomorrows, be even better than today!!!
Stay good to each other!!

9.gif

6.gif

Awwww gb... happy anniversary to you both !!!!
hope you have a really great dinner. can you order
a steak for me and then email it ???

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!

OK here is the review. We had a wonderful dinner. The restaurant was very nice. Low ceilings with old wood beams. The very modern looking sushi bar looked a little out of place, but somehow they pulled it off very well. They were pretty busy and even though we had a reservation we still needed to wait a few minutes for our table. This was not a big deal at all though. They got us to our table as quickly as they could. It turns out our table was not a prime piece of real estate. We were seated right next to the door and next to the bar. Not the most romantic spot, but we both decided that it really didn't bother us enough to ask for another table. The table and having to wait are my only two complains of the evening and I wouldn't even call them complaints. Both were completely minor things.

Now for the good stuff. Our waitress was fantastic. She was very pleasant and helpful. She was a little slow getting our bottle of wine, but she acknowledged that and explained she has to go into the wine cellar since they ran out of that bottle up top in the restaurant. That was fine by us. We were not in a rush anyway. For the wine, we ordered a bottle of 2003 Lindeman's Bin 45 (Coonawarra). Neither my wife or I know much about wines so I can't really describe it well, but we both enjoyed it very much.

For our apps we got the Coconut Crunchy Shrimp and the Sushi App. The shrimp were very large and excellent. The coconut coating was so good and cooked to perfection. There was a sweet dipping sauce. I am not sure what was in it, but honey was one of the things for sure. DW thought she tasted wasabi, but we are guessing she just caught a whiff of it from the sushi plate. My wife made the comment that food is great, but anytime something is "encrusted" it just gets so much better :)

The sushi app was good. I will probably be back to sit at the sushi bar some night. DW does not eat sushi although she keeps trying to try. To give her credit she has eaten small bites at least 2 or 3 times and even though she is not comfortable with eating it she still wants to try. I know she just wants to try for me and not for her. That (among many other things) makes her the sweetest person in the world. So she said she would try a piece tonight, but when it came to the table I could see she was not ready. I asked if I should give her a piece and she really did not want it. She finally decided to try a SMALL piece of salmon, but I was stupid and told her that might not be the best one to try first. The flavor is great, but the texture is a bit slimy compared to something like tuna. Well I just blew it. She decided tonight was not the night she would try it again. Oh well, I am sure someday it will happen. The sushi app was 5 pieces of nigiri sushi. There was salmon, tuna, eel, shrimp, and yellowfin. All was very tasty.

We both decided to get steaks. DW ordered the Steak Diane and I ordered the New York Sirloin au Poivre. My wife asked me how she should have it cooked. She knows that it is not cool to get a quality steak and then cook it too much, but she gets a little squeamish over raw foods or undercooked foods (see the sushi topic above). I told her to get hers med and I was getting mine med rare. The menu has a little description of their definition of rare, med rare, med, etc. For Med they would cook it so the center was still pink. That is how I cook hers at home so I knew she could handle that. For sides we got the Garlic Mashed Potatoes and the Butternut Squash Purée. We got the squash because we just started our little girl eating squash at home (her first real food) and tonight she was having the second half of her first jar (and loving it). Mommy wanted that connection with her baby so we ate squash too.

The stakes were delicious. DW even said she could have gotten hers med rare like mine. That made me very happy :) the sides were very good. The potatoes were heavy on the garlic, but we are both garlic lovers in a big way so this was a good thing for us. The squash, while very tasty, seems out of place during a summer meal. DW said it felt like autumn.

We did not save any room for dessert, but they had a lot of tasty looking choices. Nothing crazy, just your typical fruit tarts and pies and cakes, but I bet they tasted great. Maybe someday we will go and just get drinks and dessert.

It was more money than we normally spend when it is just the two of us, but it was money well spent in our opinions. It was a great meal with great company and it is something we will remember for a long time to come.

Sweetie if you are reading this, I love you!

AAAWWWWWWW GB, how sweet!!! I love what you wrote at the end:)

I'm glad your evening went so well. Again, Congratulations!!

GB,

thanks for sharing your magical evening with all of us. It's such a pleasure to see two people, holding hands, instead of walking apart. I'm glad your anniversary was so wonderful. Here's to many, many more:)
kadesma

Oh.....Happy Belated Anniversary GB! I'm glad you have an enjoyable evening to yourselves. Here's to many more........CHEERS!!

Back
Top Bottom