"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-17-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Antique Pricing?

OK, I'm ready to pull my hair out!! I know nothing about antiques but I have been given 2 Hull pottery pie plates that I would like to find the value of. I have searched high & low to try & find these on the internet but haven't found anything!! Does anyone know of a good antique pricing website? I was also looking for a McCoy planter that my mom has & I found it on ebay & then on a pricing site. The only problem with the one on the pricing site is that they don't show a picture of it. I'm 99% sure it's the same one because of it's name. Anyway, any help would be greatly appriciated! I'll post pictures of the pie plates as soon as I get the camera back from my FIL.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hello Crewsk, I collect antique silver and other things, and I have found that the BBC Antiques Roadshow site is worth a visit. I know that there is an American copy of the show, perhaps they have a website?

Here's the UK one http://www.bbc.co.uk/antiques/

Old 11-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Master Chef

Thank you so much Ishbel!! I used to watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS all the time. I didn't even think about checking there.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Could you take them into
the local antique dealers and ask them about the value?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
Master Chef

I've thought about pds, but I'm not sure what the ones around here are like. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

Crewsk......go to a bookstore and check out their pottery collecting books. They should have books that will tell you the value. I used to do that when I'd buy a new piece of Fenton Hobnail Milkglass. I'd just plop down on the floor and look through the books.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
Contest Winner

Smile

Crewsk, I used to sell some used McCoy and Hull Pottery at the Place I worked at in Cheraw !
1. I wouldn't sell it right now as the market is really soft on Pottery Right Now. Who am I kidding its soft on most everything now. Its a Buyers Market and they aren't paying nearly enough for stuff now.
2. Ebay like them or not is the Best pricing place to go, Its free and gives you an idea of what the market will bear, I know you can't always find what you want on there but it changes ever day.
3. Most McCoy planters are inbetween $15 to $50 right now and Hull Pie Plates are $15 to $125 just depends on how old and how rare, I hope that helps.
Its really funny because new most of these were sold at the old 5 and Dime Stores !
Old 11-18-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
Master Chef

Thanks Sizz & Maidrite! I did find my moms planter on ebay in a diffrent color & then on a pricing site. The 2001 price for it was $135. I also found a pie plate on ebay but it's also in a diffrent color.

Maidrite, my moms planter is the Cat by the Well one. Around the middle part of the well it says "Stung by the Splendor of a Sudden Thought". We're not planning on selling any of it because my grandma gave them to us (mom's mom) & the sentimental value will always be worth more than the monetary value.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
Contest Winner

Wink

Good For You, and right now you would get taken on them anyway. Both McCoy and Hull very nice pieces as well. I am so Glad you are keeping them. If you are insuring them double the price and you will be safe !