Anyone else losing money today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i also equate the stock market and gambling the same way. only if i could afford to just throw money in the street, would i invest in either. :cool:

Then how is your money invested? Precious metals? CD's? Annuities?
I'm sure we all try to diversify but the stock market always plays a major role, whether you're in it for short term or long term.

As far as gambling goes, I keep some "gambling" money at a brokerage firm where I can trade stocks on-line, everyday, if I wish to.....but that's money that I can afford to lose.

I few months ago I stopped opening the monthly statements from Oppenheimer. I've been down this path before and there's no reason to add insult to injury by crunching numbers that don't mean anything unless you're going to sell an investment. I ain't sellin, so I ain't lookin neither. :LOL::LOL: What the hey, it's only money anyway. Let's make a great meal and have a party. It worked for Nero...didn't it?

I'm doing the same - not going to sell it and eventually it will go up again so what's the use stressing ?

Just out of curiosity, how much did you spend to win $800?? I'm always interested in the bottom line...income - expense=profit. We all know it takes money to make money, and there aint no free lunch. High rollers are treated better because they spend more.

Who said there is no such thing as a free lunch? Sure there is. I put in $50 - played for an hour and came away with a ticket for $852. I won $802. Sure there is a free lunch - and dinner too. As a matter of fact this will pay for all of my lunches and dinners on my trip to Boston in a couple of days. We'll be there for 8 days.

And I agree with you about the bottom line. Most people who gamble don't realize they have to deduct what they started with from what they cash in. I still think the odds are better in Vegas than in the stock market right now. :) At least I have a fighting chance. Pretty scary stuff going on out there.

I just bought a large 5% CD today. I'm feeling very good.
Where and for how long?
I was just looking at ING Direct's 2-yr/4.5% yield CD.

edit:
I realize WAMU has been bought out but that does not concern me. I just went to their site and they're offering 5% yields on on-line 12 month CD's. I might buy this.

Where and for how long?
I was just looking at ING Direct's 2-yr/4.5% yield CD.

edit:
I realize WAMU has been bought out but that does not concern me. I just went to their site and they're offering 5% yields on on-line 12 month CD's. I might buy this.

That's where I got it. I've been with them for years and now they're Chase Bank. .

:) So are cds airtight as opposed to other acounts like money market? We have a few CDs. Are they part of the FDIC insurance?

We lost a little bit...but there are still another 20 or 30 years to go before I retire. So, I guess we are OK, provided the world is still here then. We are definitely in it for the loooooong haul.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom