"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
We have been slowly working our way through two complete series DVD sets I gave SO for Christmas, Doc Martin and All Creatures Great and Small. It is great seeing all the episodes and seeing them all in the proper order.
I just finished watching the Dr. Martin series last week. I liked it. A little weird here and there, but a great series.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I just finished watching the Dr. Martin series last week. I liked it. A little weird here and there, but a great series.
Have you watched Big Bang Theory on TV? I'd like to put Dr. Sheldon Cooper from that show and Doc Martin together in a room and see them stare suspiciously at one another. It's nice to see weirdness written into successful (and entertaining) TV characters.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I enjoy Big Bang Theory. They all crack me up...mostly because I know guys just like them.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Downton redux -- what a jarring turn to the way of life that period of time was for the fortunate, privileged, landed folk. And this excellent treatment that we get to watch unfold is so well done and thought provoking. The casting, IMO, could not be better -- Daisy and William's wedding in the episode just past was so poignant.

Will Mary marry at all? Stay tuned, right, Addie?
I am absolutly hooked. According to the interview, Mary and William get together in the end. And I had a news clip that Shirley McLaine has joined the cast as Countess's mother from America. She has some go-arounds with the Dowerger Countess. It is gettin so good.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am absolutly hooked. According to the interview, Mary and William get together in the end. And I had a news clip that Shirley McLaine has joined the cast as Countess's mother from America. She has some go-arounds with the Dowerger Countess. It is gettin so good.
Now that sounds like fodder for some real fireworks. Shirley McLaine and Maggie Smith -- whoda thought?

Don't tell me William & Mary get together, run off to America, and found a university....
Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Now that sounds like fodder for some real fireworks. Shirley McLaine and Maggie Smith -- whoda thought?

Don't tell me William & Mary get together, run off to America, and found a university....
Good one.
In the clips of future shows, it shows Mary pushing a wheelchair.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Have you watched Big Bang Theory on TV? I'd like to put Dr. Sheldon Cooper from that show and Doc Martin together in a room and see them stare suspiciously at one another. It's nice to see weirdness written into successful (and entertaining) TV characters.
No, I haven't seen that series yet. I have no regular TV service. I only have NetFlix, which is plumbed to my TV via HDMI. The Big Bang series is available on NetFlix by mail. I may request it later.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The Big Bang Theory is hilarious. And no violence!!! It can be done.

I love your theory of putting the Doc and Sheldon in th same room.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Good one.
In the clips of future shows, it shows Mary pushing a wheelchair.
Well, it would have been a better joke if it hadn't just now hit me that I think we're mistaken -- it's Cousin Matthew she's longing for, isn't it? Matt 'n Mary U. -- not so much.

So the big newspaper man is going to be out, huh?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well, it would have been a better joke if it hadn't just now hit me that I think we're mistaken -- it's Cousin Matthew she's longing for, isn't it? Matt 'n Mary U. -- not so much.

So the big newspaper man is going to be out, huh?
Sometimes it is hard to keep the characters right. William is the one who married Daisy and then died. I think Masterpeice has a penchant for the name Daisy. There was a maid in U&D stairs. And a couple of other shows. Or maybe the English are just fond of the name because it is easy to remember.