"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Astronomy!

So...who loves astronomy? I do!

Tell us your astronomy stories, show your astronomy gear, ask questions about astronomy if you're curious or interested in getting your own astronomy gear!

I have a relatively cheap setup - an Orion Apex 102 (4") Maksutov-Cassegrain mounted on an Orion Paragon-Plus XHD. It's a lightweight (15 pounds MAX) setup that only take a minute to prepare for an observing session - whether it's 5 minutes or 5 hours. The only problem with this type of telescope is that it takes about 1 hour to acclimate to the ambient temperature. Until it does, the views will not be as sharp. I have a full-aperture white-light solar filter for observing the Sun. This telescope is mainly used for solar, lunar, planetary viewing, as well as "splitting" double stars.

I've only used it twice - both times for observing the Sun. I was able to see two small sunspots, but the Sun is at it's minimum currently of the 11-year solar cycle. It will be on the way towards maximum over the next few years, and during that time more and more sunspots will be visible.

That's good enough for now, I suppose! Who's next?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Used to be a hobby of sorts...I have an old Celestron 8" Reflector....Used only occasionally now to let kids "look" at the moon...Saturn...Jupiter...etc.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I have an old Celestron, too. It rarely gets used because living downtown brings too many city lights to deal with.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Cook

What kind of Celestrons do you have? Do you have any pictures of them? I'd love to see them!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

An older model of the Celestron 8 in. Schmidt-Cassegrain....Sorry no pics

Old 04-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Mine is a fairly big orange one. I think it's about 30 years old. I just took some pics and will re-size them and post.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I have been thinking about getting a telescope recently. I had a toy one about 30 years ago which worked well for looking at the moon. I see now that you can tell the telescope what you want to look at and it will automatically find it for you. That is pretty cool! Are there attachments or anything that would allow me to use my DSLR camera to photograph stuff I see?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

The technology of amateur telescopes has advanced light years since I got in the game...However I used to take (not so good) pictures with mine using an old Minolta SLR... so I would guess today's telescopes would be compatible with almost anything.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Also...it used to take what seemed like forever to get good polar alignment...manually.
Now I think it is done by GPS....and they come programmed with hundreds of items.... so if you want to see the Horse Head Nebular in Orion...punch a button....coming right up!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I have had an interest ever since I was a kid. I don't have a telescope because I live in the middle of town so too many lights. I use slooh.com for my viewing pleasure. Maybe one day when I get somewhere where there's not so much light I'll get something of my own. I'd like to do photography.