Baby Sign Lanuage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Recently I have been reading a lot on how babies can learn sign language long before they can learn to talk. I think I am going to teach my baby this. Has anyone here had any experiences with babies and sign language?

No experience here (other than the obivious one of when they're hungry, they open their mouth and point.....funny thing....sometimes they still do it.....)

Seriously though, I've read/seen so much on that topic lately - I think it's absolutely amazing! Please keep us updated!

We thought about it with our first child. After seeing how easily he could get frustrated by not being able to communicate what he wants, I think we will decide to take signing classes with our second child. Seems like a great idea! Let me know about your progress!

i saw something years ago about this on tv and it was fascinating. the babies could explain what they needed through the sign language. it was a really cool to see. it's amazing just how much babies can learn.

GB said:
Recently I have been reading a lot on how babies can learn sign language long before they can learn to talk. I think I am going to teach my baby this. Has anyone here had any experiences with babies and sign language?
GB, my youngest grandson Ethan, who is 14months, uses some signs with us, he can talk if he wishes to, but usually he just looks at us, it worried me and I started signing little things to him like, milk, more, drink, so now he mixes the signs with words. He is just very stubborn, but is bright as can be..I like the signing for babies, I feel it gives them a chance to make themselves understood, instead of crying and pointing for something. i would do this again in a heartbeat. In fact Carson who is 4 months sees me sign milk to him each time I feed him.
kadesma

It's wonderful! My 15 month old granddaughter signs her 3 older cousins were taught to sign. The move to speech is not at all impaired and the ability communicate eases frustration for both parents and child. Go for it and good luck!

By the way - the signs are very basic and very simple - you don't need classes for them. The first ones are more, please, milk thankyou, hungry, thirsty. Gross signs - easy ones and the little ones learn to mimic so quickly!

A friend of mine did this with great results - instead of hearing screaming for more "whatever" her baby touches her fingers with her other fingers - which is the sign for more - as the mother speaks she does the signing for it. I would do it in a heartbeat if I had a baby.

Thank you everyone for your input. After reading your comments I thought I would be crazy to not give it a shot. I went out to the bookstore and bought a book called
Baby Sign Language Basics
Early Communication For Hearing Babies and Toddlers By Monta Z. Briant.
I just finished reading it and it was very enlightening. DW and I are going to start using this right away. It seems like the benefits are so huge. I will keep you all informed on our progress.

double bonus gb. she can use it now to tell you what she wants or needs. and she'll be able to communicate with the deaf later in life. go for it babe

A friend of mine was worried that her son was delayed because he didn't talk much. They decided to teach him some signs and BAM, he took off. It turned out he had terrible ear infections and couldn't hear well. He is all better now and uses both verbal and signed language. I agree it is a wonderful idea to reduce frustration on the babies part!

Good luck GB.

Back
Top Bottom