"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

In the summer I sit down on the patio, bring some tea bags with me and some sugar, and sip while I am doing my needlework. I drink it black with just a teaspoon of sugar.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Senior Cook

I usually ask for tea (whichever brand (Earl or Lady Grey if I am lucky), with no milk or sugar. I too found asking for black tea just got puzzled looks.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Master Chef

I drink my tea black with lemon. No sugar or milk. I like the flavour. I do however drink tea with milk and sugar when it's very cold. I love milk in winter!!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
Master Chef

I hardly ever drink hot tea, but we go through a gallon of ice tea about every two days.

Steve makes the best pitcher of ice tea ever! He brews 4 parts of loose no name black tea with 2 bags of Earl Grey. I don't care for Earl Grey alone, but mixed with four parts of black tea it's just wonderful with a "hint" of the bergemot flavor.

Interesting thread.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hardly ever drink hot tea, but we go through a gallon of ice tea about every two days.

Steve makes the best pitcher of ice tea ever! He brews 4 parts of loose no name black tea with 2 bags of Earl Grey. I don't care for Earl Grey alone, but mixed with four parts of black tea it's just wonderful with a "hint" of the bergemot flavor.

Interesting thread.
I like to mix my teas for iced tea sometimes too. I will sometimes substitute a Constant Comment teabag for one of the Luzianne ones, or any spicy tea.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
Master Chef

I don't know if it's just a California thing but so many restaurants have gone off the deep end with " fruit flavored" ice teas to the point that they don't offer plain ordinary ice tea! I don't want anything fancy from them, just a glass of strong well brewed clear tea served in a tall glass with lots of ice. I've been known to order an extra glass of just ice on the side. If there's anything I can't stand it's ice tea short on ice!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
Head Chef

What is clear tea?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I drink Yorkshire tea . Not a fan of Earl Grey , too perfumery . I just want a good cup of brown builders tea . No frills me .
That's my wife's tea of choice, too, but a lot of restaurants here don't have it.

Red label or gold label?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
What is clear tea?
That would be clear opposed to cloudy GQ. It looks very unappetizing when it's cloudy and is usually caused by cooling it too fast. It makes the tannin settle out, causing cloudy tea. The tea must be cooled to room temp. before being chilled, either by ice or refrigeration. I bet you can tell I'm picky about my ice tea.

By the way GQ...I noticed in the UK the Brits treat ice like it's gold or something. Ordering a bucket of ice in a hotel room is hysterical. Room service arrived on more than one occasion with a bowl with 4 cubes and a spoon.