Cast Iron - Interstitial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're exactly spot on.

The dry CI (and Carbon steel) do show rust very quickly.

It's easy to rinse away - and the sprayed oil is then a buffer. I had severe iron deficiency a couple of years ago so I just take fewer tablets :). But, seriously, the rinsing is effective.

I started to look at this as I was concerned with the black specks often floating around. And posts - eg on Chowhound - had folks that were imagining the CI being invaded by whatever material deep into the vessel. I also wished that it would be OK to give CI a good whiz in the dishwasher sometime.

I am glad that I went ahead with the experiments - sure has made my obsession with CI and CS much easier! And gone are the black mystery specks - they surely had no chemical relatives in the original flax and rapeseed oils.

For one thing there are many types of cast iron. I was a machinist for 33 years, and worked for the first 12 years in a plant which had a plate fabrication shop, a machine shop, and a foundry capable of pouring 50+ ton castings (we built large machinery for the mining, smelting, nuclear, and sugar beet refining industries). We poured our own castings, and made parts from many types of iron - gray iron with no additives, and several grades of mehanite which had varying amounts of scrap steel and chemicals added to the pot to get different properties.

Gray iron was only used rarely because it's very brittle and not much good for most mechanical applications. Some of the mehanite parts were polished to a high luster on bearing surfaces and there was no discernible porosity.

All that said, I have no idea what grade of cast iron goes into cookware, but once it's been seasoned, any possible pores in the metal should be sealed over. There certainly isn't any health risk from anything caught in the pores. Even if a pan is abused, once it's been reseasoned, it's good. Cooking it in a 500° F oven for an hour will kill any biological nasties, and seasoning seals off the iron itself. I can't believe that cookware would be made with any chemicals which would leave a toxic residue.

CD. I wouldn’t expect someone to come to DC looking for an answer to a technical photography question. Would you?

Rick -

Thanks input. My chemical knowledge says that intermolecular space is not 'accessible' but was still NOT SURE and thus my original question. You say that there are many 'ingredients' in the formulation of the material - but I could believe all roads are closed after casting. forging, etc. Only the surface has openings and they don't go beyond a mm or two - and can be washed away very easily.

This may or may not be related but I'm sure I'm getting 'particles' on my food every time I use the outdoor grill. My filthy cast iron grates are simply brushed clean over direct heat before every use.

It looks like I've tempted 'know nothings' from the 'Dotard Drumpf' crew - "I don't have to know nuttin." The language also matches.

Cleaning, 'seasoning' and a lot of other BS is because there is some thought 'out there' that CI 'phenomena' extend beyond a few millimeters - THEY DON'T!

Do they have jokes where you're from? I was only goofing around, along the way you posted your question.

I think you answered your own question, although I'm not sure. I would imagine that you'd have to heat metal way beyond cooking temps to be able to get molecules of food in between the molcules of the metal. And at that point, the food wouldn't be in its initial state either.

I have a question for you. If you sat on a lump of coal, would you have a diamond in your ass in 2 weeks?

CD. I wouldn’t expect someone to come to DC looking for an answer to a technical photography question. Would you?

If it was a technical food photography question, yes. The OP is asking a cast-iron cookware question. Seems okay for a cooking forum, to me.

CD

If it was a technical food photography question, yes. The OP is asking a cast-iron cookware question. Seems okay for a cooking forum, to me.

CD

I disagree. If I had a technical food photography question, I’d go to a photographer, not a chef.

Buck --

I agree - I thought the many on Chowhound suggesting that 'stuff' could get in between the molecules - and thus using any detergent would ruin your CI . were 'pulling legs.' And they were always talking about pores IN the CI.

Unfortunately, they were more than serious.

Roadfix -

'Particles' you are getting from your grill are just simple ash - burned wood - surely not the best to breathe a lot of - but quite a different story than burned oils which are a lot more complex as they also have been subject to rather intense heat and don't
'fly away.' Burnt oil has produced a number of nasty research reports - and the fact that many tell of disappearing seasoning, the subject is worth paying attention to.

AM -

I am missing your analogy to food photography completely.

Knowing that CI can be washed with soap, even put in the dishwasher - and still keep its main advantage - heat retention - has been a very welcome finding for me and the others that joined in the 'experiment.'. And there's the bonus of not messing around with and eating 'mystery' black specks.

It's true that one might want to keep one Teflon pan for eggs - but I, for one, fry eggs VERY rarely.

As for Science, Food, Cooking and 'Food Photography' - I would strongly recommend Harold McGee's books to differentiate among those subjects. :chef:

Goodfood. My analogy comment was directed to caseydog.

As for your heat retention comment, that’s a property of the metal, not the coating. I wouldn’t expect it to be effected by washing.

I often fry eggs in my ci.

I never get black specs in my food. At least not from the pan.

I have McGee’s book and don’t think I’d go there for a photography tips.

As for your heat retention comment, that’s a property of the metal, not the coating. I wouldn’t expect it to be effected by washing.

Exactly - CI's great bcs of heat retention - the 'mirror' finish from burnt oil 'seasoning' is just gilding the lily. We're glad we have found that out.

I often fry eggs in my ci.

That usually requires the glossy finish of burnt oil seasoning. Nothing I need - nor do many others.

I never get black specs in my food. At least not from the pan.

The specks come from the disintegrating 'seasoning' - great if you have never seen that - but it is a constant topic for many others as their 'seasoning' disappears into their food.

I have McGee’s book and don’t think I’d go there for a photography tips.

Good! It doesn't do much for pics. But it's great for wonderful info on how much science is behind cooking. One lady has done a good book on science and baking - forget name.

But then, that photographer may know nothing about food! :LOL::mrgreen:

Actually, food photography involves talents other than cooking, so it really requires learning from someone who is involved in that photographic specialty. Usually, the item as photographed is inedible. It can have anything from vegetable oil sprayed on it to actually having shellac painted on.

There are numerous unappetizing and even quite toxic methods that are used to make food "look" more appetizing in the photo. Ever wonder why those Whoppers look so much better in the TV commercials than they do when you get one a Burger King? Just like a human model, the food has had "makeup" applied.

Quick trip to 'off topic -

Ever wonder why those Whoppers look so much better in the TV commercials than they do when you get one (at) a Burger King?

Actually I've always wondered how the 'Fast Food Crooks' haven't been dragged into court for deceptive advertising.

Continuing with the
sign0006.gif
topic...

The "food stylists" and those who order up the photos stay out of jail by keeping between the parameters that are set by the government, goodfood. Once upon a time I worked at a grocery store as one of their in-store food demonstrators. The woman who was our supervisor had previously worked as a test chef for Meredith Corporation. She said there were limits to how far a food could be tweaked and still be considered a photo of "food". Still, there is no way I would consider eating a pancake topping that was 60% maple syrup/40% shellac. :sick:

Shellac is actually an EDIBLE insect secretion - so not dangerous :blink:

I have just been wondering how these FF companies get away with extremely deceptive photos

Back
Top Bottom