"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
Proud American

Catina 1929 - 2014; Our Fishing Vessel

As many of you know, she will not see another season. She's old and very tired, and she is now being tugged to a dry dock for dismantling and scrapping.

I am heartbroken. I first learned to drive her when I was 14. Everytime I went with Papa to her I worked very hard on her. I worked on the deck and ran the reel, I cooked, I cleaned, I did laundry, I made the crews' beds, I went into the bilge to check the pumps because I am small and I went down into the battery hold to check for corrosion and to test the batteries. I learned of the engines and how to look for troubles like leaks and inequal power. I crawled all over her for to look for hull compromises, I went under the recirculating holds to look for leaks and to check and test the pumps, I climbed the remaining mast to check for cracks, I climbed up to the antennas to check them and learned to calibrate some of the electronics in the wheelhouse like the GPS, weather radar, tracking system, radio and I checked the EPIRB. I tested the alarms, made sure all 45 survival suits were where they should be, I wound very much rope and made sure the life rings were in place, I checked all 58 fire extinguishers, and when I ran out of things to do, Papa would either put me on the deck with the deck crew or make me do very many things over again.

I worked 12 hours and I had 8 hours off for sleep then another 12 hours, etc. Papa had a tiny bunk aside of the wheelhouse and I was allowed to sleep on the floor there.

I so love her. I had some ideas of what to do with some things of her. She has beautiful teak wood, and when I talked to Papa tonight after asking a member here of this, he is saving this teak wood for two boxes for his and Mamma's remains and much more for me. They want to be cremated and put to sea, and they loved this idea. I also don't have a jewelry box and so I wanted wood for this for to pass to my children. There are pewter handles on the cabinets of her but the extra cabinets were thrown away and there is a box full of these pewter handles in our Constanta home. I could make a medallion for Mamma and something for Papa of this pewter and put a pewter plaque upon my jewelry box.

I could use the extra pewter for something for my children.

I will also make a book of all these memories.I'll find all the photos I can and if I can, I'll ask Papa to take many pictures, even of the bilge and where I had to go. I'll talk to the crew next summer and record all their memories, along with Mamma and Papa's memories. I'll dedicate this book to my parents and the crew, and I'll also include my memories. I want this book to be on the new Catina, for she will carry on this legacy.

I'm trying to be practical but to be honest, I am very, very sad. She was such a good ship and I will miss her.

Sail on, Catina.

With love,
~Cat

Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You really are full of surprises, Cat What a wonderful story and plans you have. I'm glad you will be able to save and re-use some of the boat's materials.

This reminds me of my family's boat. My great-grandfather sailed a lot on Lake Erie in Michigan - for recreation, not commercially - and had a Chris Craft, also made in the 1920s. It is now docked in Mississippi with my uncle. He and my dad are restoring it and plan to take it back to Michigan and give it to the Monroe Yacht Club where it will be the committee boat for the races. My great-grandfather was commodore of the yacht club for several years.

You certainly have a lot to keep you busy!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Cat, you have had quite a life full of experiences in so few years!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Cook

She certainly has! But she bounces well, I think. She found a hull and keel for sale in Ukraine. It's new; the owner building the boat went bankrupt and it's 285 feet long with a beam of 34 feet. It's dry-docked so there's no rust and it was built in 2013 intended to be a cargo vessel. It also has a reinforced, ice-breaking bow and the hull is a double layer.

I have a very, very good feeling about this. She stayed up late searching and was up early still searching. She's run the budget and it's about $121,800 less than she had figured. PapaCat may even get the financier to settle for less than the asking price if he's really in a hurry to get rid of it.

Keeping fingers crossed! We just may be looking at our new Catina! Good job, Cat!

MammaCat

PapaCat is on his way to look at it, and we'll know something soon.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I so hope it's the hull for you!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Proud American

We've got it!!!! Papa goes to pay for it tomorrow morning!!

The financier also took about $1,200 off the cost to rid of this for he needs the dry dock space for another boat. It will have to be towed to Constanta and that will take a long time.

I just knew if I could find a keel and empty hull it would be cheaper than to build it! Now I've got this extra money in the budget to redistribute it! I'm putting most of into the electronics for now. I want a state-of-the-art wheelhouse with the best equipment we can get for the money. This is the lifeblood of the vessel, the brain of it. It's so important to have good equipment!

Catina's survival suits, fire extinguishers, and other safety equipment will just be transferred. This hull allows for a very large rudder, nearly four times the size of Catina's rudder. It's because this was built for a cargo vessel and with all that weight compared to that of a luxury yacht/fishing vessel that there is this room. The keel is also backset, meaning the propulsion system can be very large with two screws instead of one. The engines can well support two screws.

NO SAILS! I told Papa if he wants a sailboat, go get one. This will be the best fishing vessel in the entire Black Sea fleet! HA! Two engines, two screws, large rudder, double hull construction, icebreaker bow....oh my gosh this will be the best boat ever!!

No cooking tonight! It is time for celebration and looking forward, while remembering our beloved Catina also. Her engines and many parts of her will be in this one, and as Papa said, she will be all mine!

He said she is mine because I proved myself worthy of her by working very hard on Catina and I never complained. But I love hard work! I loved working on her. Papa works hard also; he got just as dirty as I did on Catina, and he worked the deck and the reel and the nets.

I'm putting Mamma and DA into Joy and we're going to Outback, which we love!

Now I've got to reassess all the electronics, look up more stuff, I need to find shafts and screws and a rudder now that I have these accurate specifications and I have to find very good windows for the wheelhouse. Papa wants a two-bunk (upper/lower) space off the wheelhouse so I won't have to sleep on the floor any more.

So much to do! I'm so very happy!

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yay!!! Congratulations!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Proud American

Thank you!!

I'm so happy!! I made Papa proud!

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Senior Cook

You also made me proud, Cat. I'm just saying this here for the record. DA is proud too, and when the news hits the rest of the family, you'll have made them proud as well.

To be honest, I never knew she knew so much about boats. She told me this morning about all she knew, and she had 2 notebooks full of printouts of Catina and other fishing boats. There are all kinds of specifications, measurements, propulsion systems and grids, and other things.

And she wants to be a journalist, but I'm thinking maritime engineer.

MammaCat
Old 01-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Thank you!!

I'm so happy!! I made Papa proud!

With love,
~Cat
You made all of us proud! I am so impressed with your knowledge of shipbuilding. A lot of crew members that sail on these vessels don't have half your knowledge. And you have that deep seated love for the sea. Not just the Catina. It shows Cat. The boats that my husband shipped out on had the focsile and the galley in the same space. Small boats? Sure. But I used to go out with him on the shrimp boats until I became pregnant with Poo. A rocking boat and expectant woman are not a good combination.

Cat in this country, having a woman aboard a boat was considered bad luck. So I used to have to ask if it was all right for me to come aboard. A lot of times permission was denied. And that I understood. I come from a seafaring family.

Tags
fish