Celebrity Deaths.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I was just listening to a radio program and they asked the question, "what celebrity death affected you and sadden you the most, and why. Some of the callers said; John Ritter, John Denver, John F. Kennedy Jr. Phil Hartman. With me it was Bob Hope, he was a legend, a wonderful man.

I was just listening to a radio program and they asked the question, "what celebrity death affected you and sadden you the most, and why. Some of the callers said; John Ritter, John Denver, John F. Kennedy Jr. Phil Hartman. With me it was Bob Hope, he was a legend, a wonderful man.

Having worked in the entertainment industry for many years, this is a difficult topic for me. I have always been quiet when the topic comes up for many reasons. First, guess I can't understand all the media hype, speculation & adoring fans that internalize grief of someone unknown personally to them. There are several people I worked with & knew personally that are now gone. Those are the passings that affect me the most. There are great talents that are gone that will be missed throughout the world i.e. Pavoratti (sp) etc., but the "reality" for me, are those lost that I knew & worked with. What one sees on the 'screen' is not what or who the person really is.

There are deaths that I can't bring myself to mention, nor would it mean anything to anyone but myself. A death that brought shockwaves through our industry was Vic Morrow. Re the Kennedy's, one cannot help being torn up over all that family has gone through... not because they are celebrities. Too difficult to see & try to make sense of the generations of losses there; or any time a parent survives their child.

Last edited:
Having worked in the entertainment industry for many years, this is a difficult topic for me. I have always been quiet when the topic comes up for many reasons. First, guess I can't understand all the media hype, speculation & adoring fans that internalize grief of someone unknown personally to them. There are several people I worked with & knew personally that are now gone. Those are the passings that affect me the most. There are great talents that are gone that will be missed throughout the world i.e. Pavoratti (sp) etc., but the "reality" for me, are those lost that I knew & worked with. What one sees on the 'screen' is not what or who the person really is.

There are deaths that I can't bring myself to mention, nor would it mean anything to anyone but myself. A death that brought shockwaves through our industry was Vic Morrow. Re the Kennedy's, one cannot help being torn up over all that family has gone through... not because they are celebrities. Too difficult to see & try to make sense of the generations of losses there; or any time a parent survives their child.

Amy, it was just an innocent question about their favorite celerity. How they felt about them. Of course we don't know the real person, but we enjoyed their work.

Ouch, Amy.
We, as fans, mourn the person we see because, not only are we losing an actor/actress that we have come to admire, not for the person they pretend to be, but, for the things they do away from the films, like the charitable things many of them do. Bob Hope for one, good actor, good comedian, but, will always be remembered instead for going over in Vietnam to bring any joy he possibly could to those troops when everyone else here shunned them. He loved doing it too. There are so many that give of themselves like this. There are so many that are gone for senseless reasons, drugs, drinking, etc, but, there are those that fight everyday they can against the many diseases we have now and keep going, doing what they love and you can't help but admire anyone, celebrity or not, for fighting everyday to breathe. The ones that are taken from this world for no apparent reason or because they looked at someone wrong. We grieve for them, their families and friends, not just for the person. And of course, the passing of a family member is always going to the ulitmate loss over a celebrity.

Last edited:
I'll start:

John Candy. I used to love watching him as I was growing up. He made me laugh.

spaceballs_large_06.jpg

Michael Landon, John Ritter, Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, I'm sure many more I can't think of right now.
Bob Hope was an absolute inspiration to many in Vietnam. My FIL saw him there once and never forgot it. Talked about it til the day he died. I hope they got to shake hands up there!

I think there is nothing prurient in being saddened over the death of people that have been a part of our lives via music or writings or movies or politics, etc. As humans, we are able to empathize, something that distinguishes us from other mammals. The death of a fellow human being touches many of us, whether or not we have ever met them, because we can identify.

Look at Jon Benet Ramsey. The nation mourned her death even though most had never even heard of her before her murder. This ability to care for other humans, those we know and those we don't, is the driving force in so much change for the good.

I don't know anyone personally in Darfur but I am devastated by what is happening to my fellow human beings there. I write my government representatives encouraging them to continue aid. I support charities that give assistance there.

I don't know anyone personally here at DC but I am saddened by their tragedies and obstacles and delight with them in their good fortune.

I think our discussions when a well-known person has died are simply a reflection of our humanity. But I respect those who feel this isn't something they are interested in participating in, too. JMO

Mother Theresa.
That was such a sad day. She died less than a week after Princess Di so there wasn't quite the attention paid to this incredible woman as would have been otherwise. But I remember thinking at the time it probably suited her better to have died as she lived - quietly and without fanfare. But to this day, she's someone I think of when I'm faced with something difficult. If she could live everyday in the midst of poverty and disease and death and still manage to take care of her dying patients, I have little to complain about.

David Niven for me but not because I was a huge Niven fan. I wasn't. His death was the first celebrity death that I was conscious of.

Lord Louis Mountbatten had a huge ripple effect which I felt at 7 or thereabouts but his death wasn't noticed by me, only the flow-on.

The celebrity that really impacted on me more was a guy that most of you would never have heard of - Chris Mainwaring. He was a star footballer for Perth but when he died last year, he was a sports newsreader/reporter and died suddenly just before his 42 birthday. It was a huge shock to the community, in part cos he never seemed to be a celebrity. He was just Mainy. His funeral was covered by tv and radio live. It is still talked about in great disbelief. His death was the first in a recent spate of Perth celebs, the latest being Heath Ledger. Ever since Mainy, there has been at least one death a month of Perth's "names" and each one rocks us. We are a capital city with a couple of million people but we have a small town attitude to most things and our celebs are normal people to us. Their deaths then feel like part of your extended family and has nothing to do with fame. Just a loss in our community.

John Denver.
No... I didn't know him but
his music meant and still means so much to Paul
and I. We were lucky enough to go to one of his concerts together and
it's a memory ( both good and bad) that will never be forgotten.

Like Maverick, I was really affected by Mother Teresa's death. Throughout the years, the deaths of Jimi Hendrix, Carl Sagan, James Clavel, Kurt Vonnegut, Luciano Pavarotti, Ryan White, Gilda Ratner and others really impacted me. Some of them shaped my early years through their writings and it pained me to think I would never "hear" from them again. Carl Sagan made science real and wondrous for me. Gilda made me laugh through tough times. Jimi Hendrix gave me music I listen to still. Luciano gave me a true appreciation for opera. Ryan White died when I was first raising my children and made me realize that every second with them is a gift and to never take for granted their good health.

Jerry Garcia. His death was not unexpected the way he treated his body, but the world lost an amazing musician the day he died.

Back
Top Bottom