Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS's car:

image-1581616177.jpg

A friend dropped by to pick up eggs. Since I am somewhat well known for my "color sense" (my father trained my color memory at an early age), all my friends bring their paint chips to me to help them decide on which paint goes with what.

Friend: Could you help me pick a blue for my bedroom. I want it to be somewhat like the sky before a storm.

Me: Sure, let's go out in the natural light.

Myrtle: Did you bring treats?

Me: No, Myrtle, we're picking paint colors.

Myrtle: Girls, the Big Chickens are picking colors. We have excellent color recognition! All ladies on the DECK!

Friend: Why are they all getting on the deck?

Me: Chickens have an excellent sense of color. (By now, I had isolated her choices to two, with one being the favored one).

Myrtle: Let me SEE! Let me SEE!

Friend: Okay, ladies, here are the paint choices. (She placed the paint chips on the deck).

Eggna: This one is not the same tone. I wouldn't use it with that one. (Signaling with her beak her disapproval, she then stepped on the rejected paint chip and pecked at the acceptable one).

Friend: I guess that's one vote for the color you think works.

Me: Let's see what the others decide.

All the girls picked the favored one and rejected the one Eggna rejected.

These girls might have a future as interior designers...

Those ladies are just so talented. I would always go with their choice whenever I am in a bind of indecision. I would even be willing to take them shopping with me and pick out the best of the best. :angel:

No kidding, Addie. They are so smart (and, they have good taste when it comes to paint colors). If I had the funds, I'd let them pick the paint color for their coop...

No kidding, Addie. They are so smart (and, they have good taste when it comes to paint colors). If I had the funds, I'd let them pick the paint color for their coop...

I personally would choose a very light soft blue for their ceiling (to remind them of the sky) and an antique or ivory white for their walls. Very restful colors for laying eggs. Then of course they might want individual colors for their nesting boxes. :angel:

I personally would choose a very light soft blue for their ceiling (to remind them of the sky) and an antique or ivory white for their walls. Very restful colors for laying eggs. Then of course they might want individual colors for their nesting boxes. :angel:
Knowing them, they probably would want individual colors for the nesting boxes...Myrtle "might" just like lavender.

Knowing them, they probably would want individual colors for the nesting boxes...Myrtle "might" just like lavender.

You must always pamper Myrtle and give her anything she wants. After all she is the Queen of the Coop. (Don't tell that to Eggatha though) :angel:

There are times when you wish you had your camera...

I was organizing the plastics for recycling. Eggna (Edna) decided she'd help. Her idea of helping was to perch on my shoulder. I "moued" her and she'd look at me--wish I could have caught a picture. Who knew having chickens could be so much fun!

The girls have gotten very picky about their treats. A bit of back story--I've been working overnights at a franchise (my dad and uncle are considering buying one in the midwest since the franchise is expanding there). They asked me to learn as much as I could about the franchise (Canadian) so that they could set me up to be an owner-manager. One of the perks (there aren't many) is that I can bring the food that is tossed out at the end of the day home for the girls. They have gotten very selective. They really like the cheese, certain types of bread, etc. The downside of this is that they have gotten very demanding. Yesterday TWELVE of them (led by Myrtle) were trying to storm the patio door. The other downside is that if I leave in the afternoon, they chase the car to the end of the driveway.

I had to start rationing them when I noticed Prudence was waddling. As much fun as it was to watch them scurry around for the treats, I realized that I was "over" treating them.

At any given time that I open the patio door, 6-10 of them will race in the house and if I raise my hand, three or four will "hop" up in the air to see what I might have. Who said chickens were stupid? Mine sure aren't. Who knew having chickens could be so much fun.

PS--Egg production has gone up since the girls have been getting all of these treats...or maybe it is because they stopped molting.

Saw an ad on the Internet

"We are looking for a good home. We do not want to be MEAT on your table. We are 11 months old, lay eggs every day, love to free range and eat bugs, grass, and other things we find. At night we like a safe coop in which to roost. In exchange, we will give you fresh eggs."

I asked Myrtle if we had room for two more girls...she replied "only if you up the treats and make sure they know they can't roost on the top bar."

I've sent the owner an email offering the girls a home. I highlighted some of the perks of CWS' Chicken Haven...

--sandbox in coop during the winter months
--free-range
--house time
--treats (fresh corn when in season, veggies, meat, earthworms, oatmeal on cold nights, custom-made chicken coats, periodic rides in the car, cuddles on the lap, and footbaths when their feet get dirty [Harriet's feet were particularly dirty last week--I put her in the bathroom sink to wash them--she was fascinated by the hen in the mirror who looked just like her...]).

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out and the girls will come to live with us, er, the girls.

Last edited:
LOL! I so wish I was a chicken looking for a good home...:)
The DH did say today that I've a very good chicken keeper...:LOL: And to think when we went to get the first chicks (Rocky and his harem), I was not comfortable picking them up or holding them! The things these girls have taught me. But then, every rescue dog that crossed my path also taught me many things--I never had a chance to get arrogant about my knowledge about dogs--each dog threw me a curve ball and taught me something new. And, humbled me. I am now "sort of" mentoring s/one involved with Dane Rescue. It is nice to share what I learned--maybe she can avoid some of the heartbreak and pitfalls from my experience and I can step in and help once in awhile.

Last edited:
img_1313767_0_fb6aa1ce2b2b9084957742d826642939.gif
I sure do enjoy your Chicken Chronicles CWS.
If you lived closer, I'd invite you to drop by and meet the girls--they are very gregarious and very entertaining. They make me laugh every day. Who knew having chickens could be so much fun. I always thought chickens were 2-dimensional birds. They are so complex and have relationships with one another.

Ethel was the one that walked out to the coop every night with Giselle. The night Giselle got injured, Ethel was waiting for me on the deck. I was puzzled by that. She hadn't waited for me since I'd brought her home from the farm. After Giselle died, Ethel waited for me on the deck for three nights to carry her to the coop. She now walks out to the coop with Miss Coo-coo and Eggna. Ethel was obviously traumatized, as were several of the other girls because they went to roost in the barn where they roosted a year ago. I had to carry them to the coop.

img_1313790_0_fb6aa1ce2b2b9084957742d826642939.gif
I sure do enjoy your Chicken Chronicles CWS.

The Chicken Chronicles have been an ongoing delightful story. For us who have been here for a while, we have worried about new born hatchings, one who hatched with a crooked leg, attacks by Cocky Rocky, injuries, deaths, and a few other calamities. But it is a fun trip I wouldn't miss for the life of me. I am always looking forward to the next chapter. Stay tuned, pictures at eleven. :angel:

I've read this thread completely twice now. Mrs D thinks I have lost it. (I,m almost peeing my pants laughing so much) If this was in book form I would buy it. You certainly have the gift of turning every day situations into a comical and entertaining venue for us all to share.

Back
Top Bottom