"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Master Chef

Chief's Tip of the Day:

Chief's Tip of the Day:
I'm going to start posting tips that may be helpful, may be humorous, but will always raise an eyebrow.

Here's my tip for August 10, 2012:

Know your guests, or target audience when planning a meal. Example, don't feed vegans stuffed pork chops finished with good sherry.
However, if you're feeding a bunch of chickens, then a bucket of freshly picked night-crawlers will be an incredible treat for them.

Hey, BT, wanna see who can come up with the "best" tips.

I am looking forward to this topic. Moohuahahaha!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Chief's Tip of the Day:
I'm going to start posting tips that may be helpful, may be humorous, but will always raise an eyebrow.

Here's my tip for August 10, 2012:

If you're feeding a bunch of chickens, then a bucket of freshly picked night-crawlers will be an incredible treat for them.
If you're feeding a bunch of chickens, make sure that you have at least three night crawlers per chicken. They are very greedy and will always try to take more than their fair share.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Master Chef

Chief's Tip of the Day: When serving long, stringy noodles with sauce, such as spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, etc., to children who are just old enough to eat it, to about five years of age, leave it long and teach them to properly twirl it on their forks. Have a camera, or better yet, a movie camera ready, to record the often times hilarious results. You will cherish the pictures after the kids are all grown up, with families of their own. And, it will give you perfect blackmail ammunition when they are teens, with a boyfriend/girlfriend over, and they are being obnoxious. Besides, think of the giigles from your grandkids as they witness their Mommy, or Daddy with an inverted bowl of spaghetti on top of his or her head, with noodles and sauce all over the face. How much fun will that be?

Serious tip; Wash all veggies thoroughly, especially if they are to be consumed raw. Dangerous micro-organisms live in the soil, and can hide in the tiny crevices of cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and on the skins of most other veggies. Even bean sprouts can harbor them. There was a serious case of salmonella poisoning that hit Europe last year, where it was found that the critter lived inside the beans that had been sprouted. To sprout beans, you have to put them in a warm, wet environment, perfect conditions for the micro-beast to grow in.

Don't be afraid of food, just treat it with respect. Wash it before you eat it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

And, when you are feeding these guests, if it is possible, don't be afraid to have dinner ready a little later than you planned. They will get hungrier as the time goes by. That will make your food seem all the more tastier.

Because you know what they say. "Hunger is the best sauce"
Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
And, when you are feeding these guests, if it is possible, don't be afraid to have dinner ready a little later than you planned. They will get hungrier as the time goes by. That will make your food seem all the more tastier.

I like this tip.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post

My Dad always said: "If they are hungry enough, they'll eat anything."

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North
Chief's Tip of the Day: When serving long, stringy noodles with sauce, such as spaghetti, linguini, angel hair, etc., to children who are just old enough to eat it, to about five years of age, leave it long and teach them to properly twirl it on their forks. Have a camera, or better yet, a movie camera ready, to record the often times hilarious results. You will cherish the pictures after the kids are all grown up, with families of their own. And, it will give you perfect blackmail ammunition when they are teens, with a boyfriend/girlfriend over, and they are being obnoxious. Besides, think of the giigles from your grandkids as they witness their Mommy, or Daddy with an inverted bowl of spaghetti on top of his or her head, with noodles and sauce all over the face. How much fun will that be?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2568136209.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	15239

Thought you might like an illustration to go along with the tip.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

Chief's Tip of the Day

It is best to paddle your canoe across a busy river, where lake freighters run up and down every fifteen minutes or so, in the daytime. Trying to cross in the dark of night, with no flashlights aboard, makes for some seriously vigorous paddling when a 1000 foot freighter is bearing down on you, and you know the pilot can't see you. I speak from experience.

Cooking tip: Save yourself time and money by covering pots of liquid that are supposed to be brought to a boil. We often forget the little things when in the middle of a large cooking job, be it in the home, or elsewhere.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think my avatar says it all...it's my Dad's favorite photo.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

i just saw this, chief. there's no way i could post better tips than you.

but, as i am in the mood to go backpacking, i thought of some hiking tips.

when camping on the side of a steep mountain, always go uphill from your campsite to collect firewood. it's easier to carry logs, or hip drag a dead tree while going downhill back to your camp rather than to try to carry them uphill.

speaking of uohill/downhill, always face downhill when you have to pee. if you face uphill, it runs back in your boots.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote