Condiments. The ones you love and the ones you hate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I hate any condiment. It seems I find a use even for the ones I don't eat regularly or by themselves (horse radish comes immediately to mind).
It's a love tolerate relationship.
By far I go through more mayonnaise than anything else.
Oh I forgot horseradish - I LOVE it! I will eat a beef sandwich just to have some! :LOL:

For me mayo is a big one and I make my own when I can. DH has to have a no soy no egg version and it is $7.00 for a small jar. I make all his dressings and dips with it, use it on his sandwiches and tuna salad. But its the real deal for me.

Another dislike is Miracle Whip. I didn't have it as a child (same with ketchup but for different reasons) and I never developed a taste for it.

I use just about all condiments as called for in recipes. By themselves, I use mayo more than anything (I can take or leave Miracle Whip since Mom used it exclusively but the rest of my family doesn't care for it). I MUST HAVE ketchup on my fried egg sandwich along with mayo and cheese but that is about the only time I use ketchup. My kids use it on everything! We have several kinds of mustard, (dijon, brown, honey and yellow) that get used. A1 on burgers, 57 sauce for steaks sometimes, worcestershire in meatloaf, soy for asian dishes. I guess it just depends on the recipe. Tabasco in the Brunswick stew is the only time it get used.

I like most condiments. And I see someone includes Butter as a condiment-- good to find out a new use for Butter. hahah.

I like blue cheese dressing, preferrably home made, on many sandwich combos if I have it on hand, otherwise, it's mayo. Today I had some tzakziki sauce. That's really easy to make too, if there is yogurt on hand.

I prefer A1 steak sauce on anything except steak. I prefer a stronger flavored Tamari sauce than soy sauce.

I like to use Tiger Sauce, a sweet-spicy-hot sauce, not quite as spicy as Srirachha ( sp), as an additive to spiff up something else, like fried rice or splash it some chicken just before it finishes on the grill or as an ingredient in a bbq sauce. It says "Try Me" on the label and is usually hanging out on a shelf in the Ketchup aisle.

Limes, a squeeze of lime juice is sometimes all the condiment needed. Probably the least calories of any. Regrettably, I go for the others more frequently.

I like most condiments too. Love Heinz ketchup and Chipotle Tabasco on eggs. Mustard, relish and kraut on hot dogs. Lowfat Hellman's for lots of things. Will have to look for Tiger Sauce.

Last edited:
I like all the condiments mentioned. Each and every one with the exception of any commercial salad dressing but Aunt Fanny's (local) and HVRanch.

My fridge is filled with condiments and I always have several kinds of soy sauce and fish sauce going.

I'll add Pickapeppa, walkers wood jerk, A bunch of sambals, a bunch of Japanese rice seasonings and banana ketchup to the cumulative list.

My current favorite is a delicious spicy habanero ketchup. I made a kick ass meatloaf with it the other day.

I have several different jars of furikake, Japanese seasonings.

I love crumbled nori on some dishes.

I absolutely love mayo but I am trying to steer clear of it. I like most other condiments with the exception of salad dressings like blue cheese, or thousand island. I dislike duck sauce (is that the orange sweet stuff in chinese packets?) I won't eat Miracle Whip (blech).

I like Miracle Whip but if given a choice would pick real mayo (Hellmans). Horseradish for beef sandwiches & steak. Tartar sauce or honey mustard for FF. Any kind if mustard for bologna or salami sandwiches or brats with saurkraut. Don't care much for ketchup & the thought of it on eggs makes me gag. I like balsalmic with a bit of stevia on salad, but I also like store bought Bleu cheese & Green Goddess dressing. Salsa for chips or meatloaf. Bbq sauce cooked onto meat, not soupy wet.

My favorite food/condimment pairing is malt vinegar on thick cut fries. My second favorite is probably either spiced honey mustard on thin, crispy sweet potato fries or buffalo sauce on wings.

I like most condiments that I've tried for certain things. I can find a use for almost any barbecue sauce. A1 is good on a burger, especially if it has mushrooms on it too. Worcestershire sauce is good added to a lot of things. Ketchup is good on a cheese burger or hasbrowns (although egg yolk is my favorite hashbrown "condiment"). Mustard is good on hotdogs, brats, pastrami, ham, bologna and various lunch meats. A little horsradish mixed with mayo is great on a medium-rare roast beef sandwich. I love rice with just a little soy sauce and sriracha mixed in. Maybe some chives or green onion too. I like sour cream and guacamole on a lot of different things. Plain yogurt works pretty well as a sour cream replacement. I like italian dressings, especially homade, on various sandwiches/subs. I love french and catalina dressing, especially jazzed up with a little lime and chili sauce, on veggies and veggie sandwiches.

I think whip cream, butterscotch sauce and chocolate syrup are great condiments for ice cream, cakes and cookies. And caramel is a great condiment for apples. :)

There are a lot of the creamy salad dressings that I'm real picky about. Like, ranch is meh, unless it's home made or made from the Hidden Valley brand packets and then I really like it. A lot of the standard shelf blue cheese dressings (kraft, wishbone, etc) are gross. I like the T. Marzzeti's brand that comes in a jar but not the one that comes in a bottle.

Oh, I hate Thousand Island dressing. Gross gross gross! And a lot of pre-made tartar sauces are gross too.

Last edited:
Steve, I would love your recipe for ketchup. DH is getting so sensitive to any bought products and I have tried some recipes but weren't satisfied.
Laurie and Snip, here is my quickest recipe. It makes about 2 cups of ketchup, depending on how much water you add. I've made this recipe using homemade tomato paste, and it's good, but it's just as good (and more convenient) to use canned.

Tomato Ketchup

12 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Mix everything and add enough water to dilute to the desired consistency. Adjust salt and brown sugar to taste.

There are many variations. For example, you can add a teaspoon or two of curry powder and make curry ketchup. One variation that I especially like is chipotle ketchup. To make that, add a chopped canned chipotle and a couple of teaspoons of the adobo sauce from the can as well. Run this mixture through the food processor.

Laurie and Snip, here is my quickest recipe. It makes about 2 cups of ketchup, depending on how much water you add. I've made this recipe using homemade tomato paste, and it's good, but it's just as good (and more convenient) to use canned.

Tomato Ketchup

12 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Mix everything and add enough water to dilute to the desired consistency. Adjust salt and brown sugar to taste.

There are many variations. For example, you can add a teaspoon or two of curry powder and make curry ketchup. One variation that I especially like is chipotle ketchup. To make that, add a chopped canned chipotle and a couple of teaspoons of the adobo sauce from the can as well. Run this mixture through the food processor.

Thank you Steve :) This is such an easy recipe, will try it for sure!
I've only ever made Jamie Oliver's recipe and that's much more work :LOL:

Thanks so much, Steve. I am planning polish hot dogs tomorrow so will make some for DH's dog and fries. He will be so surprised! :)

Tomato Ketchup

12 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Copied and pasted. I bet that would work with pasata if I reduced it.

Much easier and quicker than my recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/tasty-tomato-catsup-70303.html#post970628

Copied and pasted. I bet that would work with pasata if I reduced it.http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/tasty-tomato-catsup-70303.html#post970628
Oh yes, I'm sure it would. You may not even have to reduce it that much, since I find I usually have to add water to this recipe to thin it out.

If one were so inclined, you could even start with canned or whole peeled/de-seeded tomatoes and cook them down to the desired consistency. I'm just not a big ketchup eater, so I tend to go the quick route. One batch of this easily lasts me 6 months.

Oh yes, I'm sure it would. You may not even have to reduce it that much, since I find I usually have to add water to this recipe to thin it out.

If one were so inclined, you could even start with canned or whole peeled/de-seeded tomatoes and cook them down to the desired consistency. I'm just not a big ketchup eater, so I tend to go the quick route. One batch of this easily lasts me 6 months.
We don't use much ketchup either. But, homemade ketchup is so much tastier than the store-bought stuff.

I want to use pasata because it comes in glass bottles. I can get tomato paste in little glass jars at the health food store, but it is quite expensive. Even organic tomatoes come in cans lined with stuff containing BPA, which is estrogenic and I'm not supposed to eat anything estrogenic.

We don't use much ketchup either. But, homemade ketchup is so much tastier than the store-bought stuff.

I want to use pasata because it comes in glass bottles. I can get tomato paste in little glass jars at the health food store, but it is quite expensive. Even organic tomatoes come in cans lined with stuff containing BPA, which is estrogenic and I'm not supposed to eat anything estrogenic.

Was thinking of using pasata too :LOL: Our tap water is really poor quality so I didn't want to thin out the ketchup. Scared it will make my sauce go off!

Miracle Whip and A-1 Sauce would be not allowed near my plate at anytime for any reason. Hubby loves both so we have both but he has to prepare his own plate on the other side of the kitchen when he wants either of those those 2 items.

Otherwise I'm good with condiments and like to experiment with combinations. Hubby says we need a separate fridge just for my condiments !!

Miracle Whip and A-1 Sauce would be not allowed near my plate at anytime for any reason. Hubby loves both so we have both but he has to prepare his own plate on the other side of the kitchen when he wants either of those those 2 items.

Otherwise I'm good with condiments and like to experiment with combinations. Hubby says we need a separate fridge just for my condiments !!

Never heard of A 1 sauce, must be an American thing. I'll google it.
My grandmother used to use miracle whip when I was little but i haven't seen it lately, can't say I've looked very hard. I never liked it either!

Back
Top Bottom