"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

I always wondered how you folks counted calories when it wasn't written on the bag (so to speak).
What if I double egg dip and bread something I am deep frying? Does that change the calories from a lighter breading? What if I use panko crumbs one time and Italian crumbs the next, does that change the calories? It all seems so complicated.
That's my excuse anyway. Still, it would be curious to know sometime.
I estimate as best I can. For example, how much breading did you use to bread 6 chicken breasts? Divide that amount by 6. Used two eggs? Divide that by the number of servings. I figure as long as I make an effort to get close it's better than nothing. If you underestimate one time, you might overestimate the next. Just keeping track at all makes me think twice about having (another :p) cookie

I use the livestrong app, which makes it really easy to add partial servings.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Here is the page if you search "breaded chicken": http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/acc...aded%20chicken

Lots of choices to get close to what you have created.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't understand calorie counting. Like the member here who posts he had three grams of this and 9 oz of that. I imagine it's because he's portioning or calorie counting, but I know when I eat more or less during a day, or drink three sodas compared to one. It seems if you are trying to lose weight you just eat less and exercise more. In my simplistic life anyway
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I estimate as best I can. For example, how much breading did you use to bread 6 chicken breasts? Divide that amount by 6. Used two eggs? Divide that by the number of servings. I figure as long as I make an effort to get close it's better than nothing. If you underestimate one time, you might overestimate the next. Just keeping track at all makes me think twice about having (another :p) cookie

I use the livestrong app, which makes it really easy to add partial servings.
I had just read somewhere there were apps for this.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I don't understand calorie counting. Like the member here who posts he had three grams of this and 9 oz of that. I imagine it's because he's portioning or calorie counting, but I know when I eat more or less during a day, or drink three sodas compared to one. It seems if you are trying to lose weight you just eat less and exercise more. In my simplistic life anyway
I am portioning and trying to make sure I get enough calories and also not OVER do the calories. I am weighing/measuring everything so I can KNOW what I am getting. Soon I will be able to just fix my meal without calorie counting because I have already determined I can have a cup of chili and 1 oz of cheese to get 400 calories. Also, I know from experience that 1 cup measured is 1 cup...where as guessing is usually 50 to 75% more than you thought it was.

I MUST lose 30 pounds...this is because I have 30 unwanted pounds. I'm doing what works for me to lose weight. If this fails, we will have to try something else, I really don't want another heart attack. I have included 30 minutes or more of exercise into my plan each day.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I can understand it for health reasons, especially being diabetic where I imagine you must keep tabs on your sugar intake,, too.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
...It seems if you are trying to lose weight you just eat less and exercise more. In my simplistic life anyway
Mostly you are right. But, if eating less leaves you hungry, then knowing which foods are lower in calories lets you choose to fill up on those.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Mostly you are right. But, if eating less leaves you hungry, then knowing which foods are lower in calories lets you choose to fill up on those.
Excellent point! I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Same here Pac...when we have eaten a bit much around Christmas and we wish to shed a few kilos, we just eat less, eat a bit healthier and do some exercise

If I am hungry in between meals, I just ignore it, make your body get used to eating less again :)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My afternoon snack was 2 clementines, 70 cal

Dinner was 10 ounces Beef Stroganoff, homemade with about 300 calories (I had spinach and carrots shredded in)

PM snack 2 more clementines, 70 calories

Today's total: 1140, I will have a half cup of hot chocolate made with dark chocolate equaling about 60 calories...using half milk and half water. approximately 1200 Kcal.

I have had 6-20 ounce bottles of water...I used the same bottle all day, just refilling with filtered water. Tomorrow is weigh in for our Biggest Loser contest at work.

Tags
food