"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #1121
Executive Chef

hi lexi! happy anniversary! how many years are you married? 'taste of edmonton' looks like an awsome full-entertainment place where to go for your celebrations, lexi.:) what an extensive menu of cuisine to choose from! i'm ravenous just reading through some of their food offerings....say, how did your photo album for your honey turn out? were you ever able to scale it down to a workable size?
btw, what's your secret to a successful long-term union, alix? can you share?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #1122
Everymom

Thanks taxlady and vitauta! I'm really looking forward to sampling stuff. The bison stuffed cannelloni and the pomegranate quail sound interesting. Not to mention the desserts...omg...desserts!

The photo book was a HUGE struggle and I finally gave up. I had everything sorted, and organized and then I tried to scan the photos I wanted. Oh my lord. I can't even begin to tell you the nightmares that ensued. Some of the oldest photos are stuck to the album pages and there is no way to remove them without damaging them. So...scan them on the album page? Well that just does NOT work. I tried a few other things and finally had a stomping hissy fit and gave up.

I wrote him a little something about our years together instead. I'm not as talented a writer as my daughter, but it was heartfelt. He also got a body pillow and the choice of a new mattress when we can shop for one. Romantic huh? LOL! I got a diamond pendant. Sheesh. So much for not breaking the bank.

We've been married 20 years this year. I'm looking forward to the next 20. And as far as a secret to staying together for a long time...no idea. I think for us it has to do with marrying your best friend. Ken is the first one I think of when I want to share something, good or bad. He's the one that makes me laugh the hardest and hugs the best when I'm sad. I don't think there is really any secret to staying married a long time except to really mean it when you say your vows. We did. Both our parents were married a long time Ken's were at 40 when his dad passed and mine were at 56 when my Dad died. We're aiming for 75.

I'm enjoying the lovely weather and having a second cup on the patio. Ken's taking the dog out for a walk and then we'll go wander about together when he gets home.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #1123
Executive Chef

aw, what sweet, loving words of tribute for your honey, alix. more of us should be marrying our best friends instead of looking for handsome, mysterious bad boys, carrying an air of excitement and danger....
give ken a peek at your post, alix--so praising and appreciative of your man....:)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #1124
Everymom

Bad boys are fun, but they tend to disappear when the going gets tough. Best friends are forever. Ken knows how I feel. I tell him lots. Like the Beatles say, "I may not have a lot to give, but what I got, I'll give to you." I've got words and hugs.

We had a little giggle about some of the uglier things we've seen. Ken had knee surgery once upon a time, and I brought him some treats in the hospital and he promptly threw up on my purse. I married him anyway. ;)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1125
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My first husband was a very charming bad boy. As he put it himself, "a Scottish hooligan" or a "wee hairy".
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #1126
Everymom

And your current? Best friend?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #1127
Executive Chef

Oh Alix, taste of Edmonton looks fantastic! I went to taste of Kalamazoo once in Michigan, but I am sure yours is much bigger!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #1128
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
And your current? Best friend?
You betcha. 16 years and still count myself lucky that I married him.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1129
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Bad boys are fun, but they tend to disappear when the going gets tough. Best friends are forever. Ken knows how I feel. I tell him lots. Like the Beatles say, "I may not have a lot to give, but what I got, I'll give to you." I've got words and hugs.

We had a little giggle about some of the uglier things we've seen. Ken had knee surgery once upon a time, and I brought him some treats in the hospital and he promptly threw up on my purse. I married him anyway. ;)
Now that is love!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #1130
Master Chef

Here's to the first 20 Alix: Meet you back here in 20 more for your next bouquet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
... more of us should be marrying our best friends instead of looking for handsome, mysterious bad boys, carrying an air of excitement and danger......
Bingo! At least I think that's what works. After dating some rather, ahem, "interesting" guys (which probably contributed to my Mom's heart problems...) I became engaged to Himself, a nice, stable, employed Catholic guy. (The "Catholic" was very important with Mom after #1 was Lutheran, #2 was Jewish, and who knows what faith the later guys were.) Himself and I had known each other for 8 years before we even dated, and his sis was my best friend in high school, so I knew all his flaws and he knew mine. As soon as we started dating we knew it was right. We've been married for 38 1/2 years....probably 34 of them happily. It's sticking with each other and working through any tough times that makes it all the sweeter.

Tags
coffee