"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Do you feel old?

Do you feel as old mentally as you are body wise? Im about to turn 50 but I think Im no older mentally than around 25-30 I still love silly things even tho Im very much smarter then I was when I was younger but I dont think old.Is this what happens when you get older? I start to age but but I still love my punk rock from the 70's and 80's and any great music ,think Nirvana and still just never have had the mature persons thoughts(Do they actually think old?)I mean you see old people that are really old like 70 or 80 and they act old but are they really?I have met some women in their 40s that have gray hair (no coloring like they want to be old)and wear granny type clothes(when theyt dont hafto) just cause they have kids?Idont know.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Mcgrew...

No! I do not feel as mentally old as I am in years. My mother, who lived to almost 90 said the same thing. That mentally she was basically the same as in her young years. Wouldn't it be neat if we could live life backwards, startring out with the wisdom of old age, and getting younger, and younger returning to infancy?? Of course I am only 39 and I feel like 29

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm 60, JP, and some days my body hurts so bad that I feel 100. But I still wear my tie-dye shirts and listen to music from the 60's on. And I still like to party with my friends, although I don't stay up all night anymore. But then, neither do they!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Miss Mcgrew...Wouldn't it be neat if we could live life backwards, startring out with the wisdom of old age, and getting younger, and younger returning to infancy?? Of course I am only 39 and I feel like 29
There are parts of my life I wouldn't want to live over again, Uncle Bob. I would like to have a "re-do", though. There are some things I wish I could change.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Constance,I also cant stay up all night either but it's a good thing I like my sleep better than staying up all night.I guess another sign of getting older.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Uncle Bob,I knew women never felt old mentally but its good to know men feel the same way.I dont think I would like to go backwards but have allways wondered what I would have done in my 20s and 30s knowing what I know now.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, jp, I've never felt my age. I just celebrated my birthday, almost 60, and still feel (mentally) the way I did when I was a teenager. Now....my body has a different point of view.

I spent all day Saturday working with one of my brothers cleaning out a storage building. Well, whoa, I now hurt in places I didn't think I had places.

Mentally/emotionally, I try to keep an open mind to what is current with the world. Wonderfully, my MIL, who is 94, does the same thing. She's awesome!!!

My goal...to be as healthy, physically fit, emotionally healhy and alert as my MIL.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Are you kidding? I'm dating women that are too young for my sons!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #9
Executive Chef

It's definatly strange to get older when you dont think older but I think thats a good thing I think people should not fall into the trap of thinking they are old just because of what is going on their in the body.At this point no problems health wise but on the other hand(which is great I dont worry about a few pounds etc) I dont really care about being really thin or other physical beauty issues now that I am older it's so not important.Just living is soo much more fun.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Good for you Caine!My DH is 15 years older than me and we get along great no silly issues to deal with .