Do you feel old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) Do you feel as old mentally as you are body wise? Im about to turn 50 but I think Im no older mentally than around 25-30 I still love silly things even tho Im very much smarter then I was when I was younger but I dont think old.Is this what happens when you get older? I start to age but but I still love my punk rock from the 70's and 80's and any great music ,think Nirvana and still just never have had the mature persons thoughts(Do they actually think old?)I mean you see old people that are really old like 70 or 80 and they act old but are they really?I have met some women in their 40s that have gray hair (no coloring like they want to be old)and wear granny type clothes(when theyt dont hafto) just cause they have kids?Idont know.

Miss Mcgrew...

No! I do not feel as mentally old as I am in years. My mother, who lived to almost 90 said the same thing. That mentally she was basically the same as in her young years. Wouldn't it be neat if we could live life backwards, startring out with the wisdom of old age, and getting younger, and younger returning to infancy?? Of course I am only 39 and I feel like 29:ermm:

I'm 60, JP, and some days my body hurts so bad that I feel 100. But I still wear my tie-dye shirts and listen to music from the 60's on. And I still like to party with my friends, although I don't stay up all night anymore. But then, neither do they! :sleep:

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Mcgrew...Wouldn't it be neat if we could live life backwards, startring out with the wisdom of old age, and getting younger, and younger returning to infancy?? Of course I am only 39 and I feel like 29:ermm:

There are parts of my life I wouldn't want to live over again, Uncle Bob. I would like to have a "re-do", though. There are some things I wish I could change.

:) Constance,I also cant stay up all night either but it's a good thing I like my sleep better than staying up all night.I guess another sign of getting older.

:) Uncle Bob,I knew women never felt old mentally but its good to know men feel the same way.I dont think I would like to go backwards but have allways wondered what I would have done in my 20s and 30s knowing what I know now.

Oh, jp, I've never felt my age. I just celebrated my birthday, almost 60, and still feel (mentally) the way I did when I was a teenager. Now....my body has a different point of view.

I spent all day Saturday working with one of my brothers cleaning out a storage building. Well, whoa, I now hurt in places I didn't think I had places.

Mentally/emotionally, I try to keep an open mind to what is current with the world. Wonderfully, my MIL, who is 94, does the same thing. She's awesome!!!

My goal...to be as healthy, physically fit, emotionally healhy and alert as my MIL.

:) It's definatly strange to get older when you dont think older but I think thats a good thing I think people should not fall into the trap of thinking they are old just because of what is going on their in the body.At this point no problems health wise but on the other hand(which is great I dont worry about a few pounds etc) I dont really care about being really thin or other physical beauty issues now that I am older it's so not important.Just living is soo much more fun.

50 or 60 may be your age as per the calender or birthdate. I don't think counting the years is a better way to judge.Old or getting older is a mental process which guide you to stay away from the thing which will harm you mentally or physically.
Remember, aged wines taste better.

Jpmc, my mind is definately alot faster than my body. I think around the age of 43 I noticed my body slowing down a bit, but my mind is still age 35ish, mature, but not dumb ;) Horrible to think about my body slowing down though. I best get my *** out there and exercise, walk, lift weights, anything really to keep my body in sync with my mind.

Sometimes when I don't get much sleep, feeling crabby and not much coffee on me then take a look in the mirror...._rap! Oh yeah, then I feel old!

I agree with Uncle Bob, getting younger as you age - but only till age 40 ! I have more patience with my grandsons now, that I wish I had with my boys. Enjoying and appreciating the little things in life more too.. I sure don't feel Old - whatever that is ! :ROFLMAO:

Shock

My brother was in nursing home for a while due to a fall. Broke his shoulder. Now he is at home and he seems more old than when in the home. Our minds do that to us nothing else. I feel just as you are what you eat, so the same if the mind with the body, in many cases. His pains are legitimate but I feel if he would have kept moving would be different. Now he sits and wants me to do more.

Well, when i went to the home to see him, I ran into friend of my brothers who lived in neighborhood when they were young. She was volunteer there and working and walking faster than I did. Always dressed up with small heels. I finally got enough nerve to ask her how old she was. Hold on! 96 years of age. Her mind was so sharp and still traveled by car across country. She never even wore glasses. When you meet someone like this you wonder what you are doing?

We all should wake up feeling positive about the day and know we are going to be thankful we did what we did. Even if it is just making a meal. It is something and times pretty intense. The doctor has told me just working in the house won't make difference. Got to move out of the house and keep moving.

If i want to sit down, I have to remind myself of Vi that's her name. What a character too. Friends with everyone. Who wouldn't be at that age?

Like to ask a personal question about this topic. If I have to care for my brother, do you feel that would affect my moods and physical motions? My family tells me since i have been caring for him I don't seem to walk as quickly as I used to. Tell me I always talk too loud. Are they right or do you think it is just their imagination? Also have a old dog. Just can't ignore them.

Last edited:
I'm kinda feeling old today!! LOL! Nah, I have always considered myself in the 22 to 26 range. I think staying active and enjoying the simple things in life has kept me young at heart. I still like to do the same things that I did as a kid... play hide and go seek, catch bugs, play in the dirt, stuff all the gum balls I can in my mouth and make a big mess!!! And don't forget the LUCKY CHARMS!!!

I frequently joke that I haven't actually matured past age 15 emotionally. I taught my daughter's ball team (13-14 year olds) how to correctly cannonball into a pool last month. Can you believe no one had ever shown them the correct technique???:rolleyes:

Caine...I think I know you well enough now to know that you are joking with that dating comment. Otherwise I'd have had to *shudder*.

And as for the rest of you, a little quote from one of my favorite movies (forgive my paraphrasing) "Be excellent to each other. And....PARTY ON DUDES!!"

I feel old when I'm around teenagers. If I buy a new: TV, DVR, phone, etc., my nieces and nephs can just "figure it out"--it is intuitive for them. I, on the other hand, will spend a week trying to wade through the instruction manual (usually the size of a textbook!) and still be as lost as I was when I started...what a geezer!

foodstorm said:
I feel old when I'm around teenagers. If I buy a new: TV, DVR, phone, etc., my nieces and nephs can just "figure it out"--it is intuitive for them. I, on the other hand, will spend a week trying to wade through the instruction manual (usually the size of a textbook!) and still be as lost as I was when I started...what a geezer!

Happens to me all the time too, my boys try to teach me something on my laptop - Nope, doesn't come as easy as it use to - bummer ! I have to write notes to myself all the time or I would forget :ROFLMAO:! That part of aging I don't like.

Back
Top Bottom