Do you really want Jell-O?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, new vegetarians always freak when they find out! I didn't eat jello even before I gave up meat! Yuk!

Yep. I've known that for almost forever, but it doesn't bother me. I grew up in a family where one of my father's favorite treats was pig's feet my grandmother made for him. I can still see him lifting one of the feet out of the gelatinous goo they were cooked in.

As a matter of fact, anyone who makes soups and stocks with bones has seen the "jell" effect bones have.

Finding uses for all parts of an animal is a great way to minimize waste. It doesn't seem very different from using rendered fat to make gravy.

Yep.. I knew that.. that's what gelatin is.

And Bleu cheese / Stilton is full of mold

And Scrapple is pig parts

And then there is blood sausage, head cheese, the list can go on and on..:ohmy:

Not meaning to debunk anything as nothing on the internet is necessarily true or false, and I do love snopes.com, very cool site, but I found this...

Source: Gelatin information, news, history and more about halfway down. Says on another page that the start of the process starts with degreased, dried, crushed bone or pigskin. That's under the raw materials and production tab.

Q.Isn’t Gelatin made from horse hooves?
A.No. Horse hooves are made of keratin, the same material as your hair and fingernails. Gelatin cannot be made from keratin.

Last edited:
Not meaning to debunk anything as nothing on the internet is necessarily true or false, and I do love snopes.com, very cool site, but I found this...

Source: Gelatin information, news, history and more about halfway down. Says on another page that the start of the process starts with degreased, dried, crushed bone or pigskin. That's under the raw materials and production tab.

Q.Isn’t Gelatin made from horse hooves?
A.No. Horse hooves are made of keratin, the same material as your hair and fingernails. Gelatin cannot be made from keratin.

Interesting, thanks for the link..

I hope no one thinks that just because the link says Jello and horse hooves, that Snopes says it is made from horse hooves. The article says that it is made from boiling animal bones and hides. The last sentence states that it is a popular belief that it is made from horse hooves, but that Kraft (who makes Jello) assures us that it is not made horse hooves.

Like they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. If we choose to read articles such as this, we need to make sure to read all of it.

:)Barbara

I hope no one thinks that just because the link says Jello and horse hooves, that Snopes says it is made from horse hooves. The article says that it is made from boiling animal bones and hides. The last sentence states that it is a popular belief that it is made from horse hooves, but that Kraft (who makes Jello) assures us that it is not made horse hooves.

Like they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. If we choose to read articles such as this, we need to make sure to read all of it.

:)Barbara

I agree that people should read all of it. Snopes can be misleading sometimes. Just thought it was an interesting read. :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom