What do you drive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User0204

Senior Cook
With the weather we have here (NYS) I was thinking about the vehicles we need to drive. Back home in Oz we pretty much drive family sedans (Ford, Holden/Vauxhauls) Utes and Bikes all year round without a problem, but here, with the snow and such I was wondering what vehicles you guys drive or own and if you have different vehicles for different seasons?

Me, I have a Harley for the summer fun, a Nissan Rogue for the winter and towing and a Merc E350 for the spring summer and autum.

This is a topic near and dear to me. The last fifteen years of my career were spent working for car magazines and classic car auction companies. Heck, my first favorite toy was a Tonka truck. :LOL:

I drive an Audi Q5. It is my forth Audi with Quattro all-wheel-drive. There is no better brand for snow, although Subaru has a good AWD system, too.

We don't get much snow here, but when we do, I love it! Having Quattro in snow is like driving most cars on wet pavement, and having Quattro in the rain is like driving on dry pavement.

1705430916776.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
Nice but I'll stick to my Rogue - it works very well for me and is reliable.

On the other hand my oldest step son, who lives in Anchorage, has a 2022 Subaru Cross Trek and he swears by it for all conditions.

I should add there is no way I will drive my Merc in the winter - not because it can't handle the snow or the winter as such (Germany has winters and snow too :) ) but because of the salt and sand they put on the roads here - eats metal like mice eat cheese :)

Last edited:
Oh, your other question. I've usually had two cars over the last 20 years, an Audi and something totally impractical just for grins. Two have been Miatas, the second one modified for track days, and most recently a MINI CooperS.

CD

I drove in NYC once and vowed to NEVER do it (or more aptly, try it) again :)

I've driven in NYC many times. It is not bad, once you know the rules. Of course, it has always been in rental cars or press cars, not a car I owned. :LOL:

But, most cities don't bother me. Even London where you drive on the opposite side of the streets was not all that hard.

I will NOT drive in Paris or in Rome. Those people are crazy.

CD

I've owed mostly Japanese cars through the years with a few VWs back in the beginning. I've had two cars that were fun to drive, a 1966 VW bug and an 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe. Now we drive a CR-V with AWD.

My old hooptie is a 2012 Chevrolet Colorado work truck with studded snows for winter.

I only drive about 1,200 miles a year and am able to pick and choose when I venture out.

I’ve been looking for a new vehicle or a different form of transportation for the last two years. The choices seem overwhelming so my solution has been to do nothing and so far that’s working just fine. 🤭😉

I've owed mostly Japanese cars through the years with a few VWs back in the beginning. I've had two cars that were fun to drive, a 1966 VW bug and an 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe. Now we drive a CR-V with AWD.
Oddly enough, I've owned at least 50 cars in my lifetime, and not a single one was a Japanese brand. I'm not anti-Japanese. They just never made any cars that appealed to me.

CD

My old hooptie is a 2012 Chevrolet Colorado work truck with studded snows for winter.

I only drive about 1,200 miles a year and am able to pick and choose when I venture out.

I’ve been looking for a new vehicle or a different form of transportation for the last two years. The choices seem overwhelming so my solution has been to do nothing and so far that’s working just fine. 🤭😉

I stopped buying "new" cars about 15 years ago. I look for low milage pre-owned cars, such as cars coming back to the dealer at the end of a two year lease. New cars take too big of a depreciation hit in the first couple of years. I get a like new car for as much as 40 percent less than a new one of the same make and model.

CD

I stopped buying "new" cars about 15 years ago. I look for low milage pre-owned cars, such as cars coming back to the dealer at the end of a two year lease. New cars take too big of a depreciation hit in the first couple of years. I get a like new car for as much as 40 percent less than a new one of the same make and model.

CD
That’s one option that I’ve considered.

I really don’t need a vehicle, at this point in my life, it’s more of a psychological attachment.

1705439479149.jpeg

That’s one option that I’ve considered.

Another thing about a pre-owned car that is around two years old is that the remainder of the new car warranty transfers to you. If you buy a two year old car that came with a four year warranty, you have two years of warranty coverage.

Another thing about a pre-owned car that is around two years old is that the remainder of the new car warranty transfers to you. If you buy a two year old car that came with a four year warranty, you have two years of warranty coverage.

And generally most of the production BUGS are out it - hopefully :)

I live in New York and use the subway and walk. I've never owned a car.

I suppose it's like living in London. I remember we had a car but hardly ever used it, nowhere to park it! And the abominable traffic! I always used the "tube" (London undergound) - got me to my office in the centre, in less than half the time!

I've driven in NYC many times. It is not bad, once you know the rules. Of course, it has always been in rental cars or press cars, not a car I owned. :LOL:

But, most cities don't bother me. Even London where you drive on the opposite side of the streets was not all that hard.

I will NOT drive in Paris or in Rome. Those people are crazy.

CD

You should try driving in Naples!!!! 😂

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom