"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Executive Chef

My daughter and I cooked alot together when she was younger. She learned alot by watching and by helping. Now, at age 14, she can make alot of things on her own. Whenever I make something for dinner that she doesnt like, she creates a meal for herself.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Cris's daughter Lucilla (just turned 10) is obviously interested. She always enjoys giving her contribution when we are making something in the kitchen. I don't think she gets a lot of opportunity as her mother (who she usually live with) lost interest in cooking and only do bare minimum for their dinners. I like involving her to our kitchen activity, also because she is much less finicky when she helped cooking the food herself, she likes to eat what she worked on.
I remember while I was growing up I was practically "banned" from any kitchen activity, as my mother had this conviction that I would either chop off my finger or blow up the whole kitchen. I taught myself everything from scatch about cooking when I started to live independently. I always wished I could have started much earlier, so I would encourage any children who are interested to participate.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

My grandson, Owen and I made peanut butter chocolate cookies this afternoon (from a mix with chocolate kisses on top). He took most of them home with him. They were good.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:48 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I remember while I was growing up I was practically "banned" from any kitchen activity, as my mother had this conviction that I would either chop off my finger or blow up the whole kitchen. I taught myself everything from scatch about cooking when I started to live independently. I always wished I could have started much earlier, so I would encourage any children who are interested to participate.
This happened with me also urnmaniac. Mum was always shooing me out of the kitchen (even into my late teens) with a terse "Out - you're in the way". Not that the kitchen at home was small in any way, but I think Mum was just 'territorial' so to speak. I cant think of any other explaination.

On the positive side, I think that my own interest in cooking peaked when I became independent also. It was a case of having to learn when I lived solo for a few years, and discovered how much fun it was. The fun hasn't stopped.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 AM   #15
Executive Chef

My grandson helped me "pop the beans" last night. My dd used to call it "pinch the beans" and my mom always said "snap the beans". One more generation and I have no idea how we will treat the poor beans.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:23 AM   #16
cartwheelmac

All of us love to cook (except the 14 month old) and we all look forward to the 4-H food show that pops up in October!

Cameron