"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Eat At Your Own Risk

Question & venting.

There have been many news stories re restaurant ratings called "Eat At Your Own Risk."

In the U.S. restaurants post their ratings (i.e. an "A" having passed health inspection). Have seen some with a "B" posted. Would you eat at a restaurant with anything less than an "A" rating?

The venting part:
Yesterday I took out food from a Japanese/Thai restaurant. Didn't think to look at the rating. (Perhaps I missed it.) A few hours after eating my meal, I got sick. I blame myself, in part, for not looking for a posted rating. The place looked clean, but later remembered there was a curtain placed in front of the kitchen & the gal taking my order, slipped the ticket under the curtain. (The kitchen was located directly behind the ordering counter. Would you find that odd?)

So, my question is -- would you eat at a restaurant with a rating below "A"? What have your personal experiences been? Are the ratings clearly posted or posted at all in your areas? Btw, I asked for a glass of water & it was poured from a pitcher with a water filter in it that was standing behind the counter. Am I being too picky? Don't know what to think.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Question & venting.

There have been many news stories re restaurant ratings called "Eat At Your Own Risk."

In the U.S. restaurants post their ratings (i.e. an "A" having passed health inspection). Have seen some with a "B" posted. Would you eat at a restaurant with anything less than an "A" rating?

The venting part:
Yesterday I took out food from a Japanese/Thai restaurant. Didn't think to look at the rating. (Perhaps I missed it.) A few hours after eating my meal, I got sick. I blame myself, in part, for not looking for a posted rating. The place looked clean, but later remembered there was a curtain placed in front of the kitchen & the gal taking my order, slipped the ticket under the curtain. (The kitchen was located directly behind the ordering counter. Would you find that odd?)

So, my question is -- would you eat at a restaurant with a rating below "A"? What have your personal experiences been? Are the ratings clearly posted or posted at all in your areas? Btw, I asked for a glass of water & it was poured from a pitcher with a water filter in it that was standing behind the counter. Am I being too picky? Don't know what to think.
To the best of my knowledge, I think only California has a specific grading system like this which by law, must be visibly posted where all customers can see it. Knowing what the inspectors look for and what most restaurants usually get marked down on, I would not eat at any restaurant in California that does not have anything less than an "A" grade.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Not too picky. If you buy food it should be clean and healthy.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

ironchef, you can probably answer this one for me. Handy Husband always says (he was in the restaurant business eons ago) that the first thing inspectors inspect is the can opener, because people don't think to clean the cutting edge regularly. True?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
To the best of my knowledge, I think only California has a specific grading system like this which by law, must be visibly posted where all customers can see it. Knowing what the inspectors look for and what most restaurants usually get marked down on, I would not eat at any restaurant in California that does not have anything less than an "A" grade.
Thanks Iron Chef. I'm in So. California (L.A. County) & presumed this was the rule/law throughout the U.S. Think it should be, particularly after having seen the horrific violations of health codes - with cameras rolling - panning the kitchen. Very disturbing.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
ironchef, you can probably answer this one for me. Handy Husband always says (he was in the restaurant business eons ago) that the first thing inspectors inspect is the can opener, because people don't think to clean the cutting edge regularly. True?
The can opener is a big issue because of cross contamination. Other main things that they look for are holding temperatures for both hot and cold foods, proper storage and labeling, product rotation, sinks with available anti-bacterial hand soap with paper towels, and generally anything that could cause any type of cross-contamination beit sinks, work areas, work tools (mainly cutting boards and gloves), etc. For instance, food on shelving or carts in the fridge must be stacked in this order from top to bottom: vegetables/fruits, seafood, meats, poultry. If you have cream with a later expiration date in front of those with an earlier one, they may dock you for that as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Ironchef, I recall the News stories particularly addressing the holding temps of food (& many violation citings) in Mall/Food Courts(sp?) as well as restaurants. Dare I mention violation of restroom codes. It's something we never like to think about, but, if you don't have a rating system in your area, try to be more aware, or perhaps try to see if you can get a restaurant health code inspection started in your area.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

mish, around here you can look up on the web which restaurants have been closed for health code violations (sorry, can't remember the website's name and it's pretty local anyway, so of no use to you in Cali).

I try not to worry about contamination too much. There are so many opportunities for trouble it will make you crazy. How about restrooms at concerts, for example? Holding on to the railing of the escalator and then wiping your mouth? Receiving change from the cashier - how many hands have handled that dime or quarter or that limp fiver?

Sorry, mish. I'm not trying to belittle what happened to you at all. If I were you I would be very cautious in the future as well. Maybe it's just that I grew up in a very large household with only one bathroom, so I tend to not worry about germs too much.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Honestly, I've never noticed a restaurant posting their rating. I wouldn't want to eat at a restaurant that has less than an "A" rating. It is odd Mish that there was a curtain at the ordering counter. Wonder what they are hiding? Are the ratings typically posted in an area that is visible to the public and where would it be located?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Mud, think you're describing OCD Cancel my fine dining experience at the rock concert You reminded me of one of my favorite movies (with Jack) "As Good As It Gets." Can I have my plastic cutlery wrapped up in plastic, please? I've heard about the site, but you know how it goes...you're in a hurry, that Pad Thai with shrimp looks pretty good, wrap it up!

Amber, ironchef is correct, all ratings must be clearly posted, here at least. Just something to be aware of. I never thought too much about it until I became ill.

P.S. Mud, I'll have to remember not to be too intimate with escalator railings. LMAO!!!