Everybody has a FaceBook account, by now, don't they? Do you have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand the folks who use just an initial for their first name. J. Robert Smith. All I can think is that the parents gave that person a horrible first name. :huh:
I've often wondered the same thing. When I see someone with a name like C. Everett Coop, I wonder if maybe his real first name is "Chicken". :ermm::LOL:

I don't understand the folks who use just an initial for their first name. J. Robert Smith. All I can think is that the parents gave that person a horrible first name. :huh:
I always assumed it meant that they used their middle name, but not their first name. The same as writing your middle initial, if you use your first name.

Many times, the use of a first initial is because they are named after their father and go by their middle name. It saves from using Junior/Jr. at the end.

C Everett Coop run. Run Everett Coop, run!

Dick_and_Jane.jpg

i work with a couple of people who use rhe first initial thing. it's exactly because they don't like their first name.

they don't have bad first names, like stanley, or stuart, or deborah. they just don't like them.

so of course, we make up a names to tease them for their first letter.

s. thomas becomes super tom.

s. harrison becomes stiff harry.

and d. anne becomes deadly anne.

I've often wondered the same thing. When I see someone with a name like C. Everett Coop, I wonder if maybe his real first name is "Chicken". :ermm::LOL:

As others have said, when somebody has a name beginning with an initial it's obvious that for whatever reason they prefer to be called by other than their first name. Koop's first name is Charles. Maybe he didn't like being called Chuck. Maybe he didn't like being called Charlie Koop. Maybe as a kid he was taunted with the moniker "Chicken" Koop and got to hate his first name. (His father's name was John so it wasn't a name confusion thing.)

C. Everett Koop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe he just likes to be called Everett because it sounds more dignified than Chuck or Charlie. His dad's middle name was also Everett.

Last edited:
Greg Who Cooks said:
As others have said, when somebody has a name beginning with an initial it's obvious that for whatever reason they prefer to be called by other than their first name. Koop's first name is Charles. Maybe he didn't like being called Chuck. Maybe he didn't like being called Charlie Koop. Maybe as a kid he was taunted with the moniker "Chicken" Koop and got to hate his first name. (His father's name was John so it wasn't a name confusion thing.)

Maybe he just likes to be called Everett because it sounds more dignified than Chuck or Charlie. His dad's middle name was also Everett.

But I bet he has a Facebook account....

I like Chicken better.

Seems to sometimes be a matter of snoobishness. Many directors on corporate boards use an initial for their first name.
In the future you may call me G. Who Cooks. :)

Actually that's Cooques but I didn't want to use my real last name. ;)

Hey, if Koop wasn't such a snob he'd probably be content to pop the tab on a few cans of beer with you and let you call him Chuck.

Maybe his friends do call him Chuck, did you ever think of that? :cool:

In the future you may call me G. Who Cooks. :)

Actually that's Cooques but I didn't want to use my real last name. ;)

Hey, if Koop wasn't such a snob he'd probably be content to pop the tab on a few cans of beer with you and let you call him Chuck.

Maybe his friends do call him Chuck, did you ever think of that? :cool:
I prefer not to consume beer from cans smaller than 25 liters.:pig:

I dont have one and never had...it just doesnt interest me enough....forums are so much better in my opinion :)

One thing I find about FaceBook in comparison with forums, is it is easier to dodge the negative types. You just click a couple of options, and then they are gone, unlike on forums where moderators make decisions and not always effective and/or good decisions about what to do with abuse reports. :)

One thing I find about FaceBook in comparison with forums, is it is easier to dodge the negative types. You just click a couple of options, and then they are gone, unlike on forums where moderators make decisions and not always effective and/or good decisions about what to do with abuse reports. :)

Moderators here are always on the ball. I have no problem with the job they do. The rules are simple. Follow them and no one should have any problems. :)

Back
Top Bottom