"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I stay away from GMO's too, but I would have no trouble eating offspring from a cloned animal. GMO products and cloned animals are completely different ball games.

Cloned animals are identical to the original natural animal.

I saw Dolly the sheep, she is stuffed and in a museum in Scotland, and I read the information offered on cloning at that museum. Of course I do not remember what it said, but the feeling I came away with was it was perfectly acceptable/safe to eat offspring from cloned animals, there is no difference in the animals. So why label it?? The argument that we do not know, nor do we demand to know, the animals produced by Artificial Insemination is a good argument. It just does not matter the animals are cloned, biologically speaking. We may know the answer in our wallet though. This science/issue is very far off in the future, and plenty of debate will continue to take place.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #32
Executive Chef

For the record, I am a MILLION times more concerned about the US Federal Governments proposed National Animal Identification System than I am about cloned animals. This National Animal Identification System would end backyard, small scale farming as we know it in the USA.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #33
Head Chef

Someplace back in this thread, I think there was a comment about one cow producing a whole herd of cows. That is possible--any number of cells could be taken from one donor--but you would still need a mama cow for each embryo. It will be a long, long time before science can eliminate the uterus.

I don't see how cloned animals would be in any way harmful to eat. There might be other harmful effects--maybe limiting the gene pool could cause health problems down the line, for example.

I guess if a farmer had a sure shot at reproducing fast growing, feed efficient calves at a reasonable price, they would do it. That is why they have gone with artificial insemination--AI allows a farmer to get good genetic material without the expense of buying and maintaining that outstanding bull.

However, like someone else said, we probably won't be eating cloned animals any time soon, any more than we eat those high priced bulls. Breeding stock might be cloned, and you might eat a steer born from a cloned bull and a
cloned cow.

Since the cloned animal and the donor animal are genetically identical, how is it different if you eat the offspring of the original animal or the offspring of the clone of the original animal? DNA should be the same, no?

Human cloning is a whole 'nother subject.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I think several things involved here are a bit scary and I do think we should be told the origin of the food presented for sale.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #35
Head Chef

Agree with all of those who point out that it is still going to take one mama to give birth to one baby, even though it may share little genetically with the mom who gave birth to her.

I can thiink of a few reasons why overall production could go up, but not enormously.

But just think about being able to go to the butcher and being able to find nothing but prime beef because that is all they are breeding.

Or great poultry, or piggies, or lambs with flavor to perfection.

OK, the conditions under which the clones are raised will probably make a difference, but you can't make a great porkchop out of a sows ear. (Sorry about the metaphor.) But a genetically great tasting animal clone is probably going to taste one heck of a lot better than one with so-so meat tasting genes, if both are raised under similar circumstances.

Anyway, I am with the folks who will eat cloned meat without worry.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
Cloned animals are identical to the original natural animal.
bethzaring, is this really so? How sure are you? Let me guess. You are very sure about it because it's scientifically true.

However, a scientific truth is merely an assumption that has not been proven false by any known evidence as yet. It is common place in science that subsequent evidence does surface that pokes holes in the original 'scientific truth.' Science shrugs off such things and promptly replaces the format 'scientific truth' with a new one that is consistent with all known evidence up to that time.

This is why I am more than a bit skeptical as to whether the cloned animal is really an exact copy of the donor. As far as I can tell, the cloned animal is the result of tampering with genetics, a process we can hardly claim that we have mastered. It is quite likely that future evidence might prove that things are not that simple as producing xeroxed copies of animals and the effects of present day genetic technology may be disastrous indeed. Therefore, I would rather stay away from this and hope that I would be granted the freedom to choose what I eat.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
...However, a scientific truth is merely an assumption that has not been proven false by any known evidence as yet...

This statement boggles my mind! It sounds like you are suggesting all scientific truths will eventually be proven wrong.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
This statement boggles my mind! It sounds like you are suggesting all scientific truths will eventually be proven wrong.
Andy, not necessarily so. It is more like it that what we consider today as scientifically true in areas of science that mankind has dealt with for a long time, is not what was considered true at earlier stages of scientific development.

Now genetic research is a relatively new area of science. Shouldn't we expect that there might be some changes in what we accept as true today? That is to say, is it reasonable to assume that we got everything right about genetics right from the start?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by boufa06
Sarcasm (despair more likely) apart, my position is as follows:

Is my position a bit clearer now?
Yes, very much so, and I thank you for the explanation. Your post and some of the others have made me aware of issues that I didn't even know existed.

Bethzaring's comment on the National Animal Identification System also gave me something to worry about that I'd never heard of. I can very easily imagine how the NAIS combined with the patented animals that boufa and cara are talking about could, in bethzaring's words "end backyard, small scale farming as we know it in the USA."

I thought this whole cloning issue posed no risk until, as sparrowgrass says, "science can eliminate the uterus." You all have convinced me I was wrong.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Well, Andy M., when I was younger I used to think that gravity was an unassailable fact. But now I can tell you definitely that I have proved that scientific truth to be wrong.

Seriously, though, I agree with you. Sure, there are no absolute guarantees, and sure we should opt for healthy skepticism, but I'll take science any day over superstition, fear, and paranoia -- its main enemies.