"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I honestly think that someone possibly fabricated this story by making it sound bigger than it already was.
What makes you think that?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #32
Sous Chef

This blaming 'The Media' has gotten really old and has worn really thin.

Seems awfully lame to me when the story gets changed from the story to 'The Medias' reporting of the story.

In this case it not that Irvine lied, it's that the media is blowing it out of proportion or enhancing the story or sexing it up in some way.

A better turn for this thread to take would be how society has turned to a thing where perception is more important than substance and how success, at any cost, is justification for just about any action.

Did I write 'just about'? Hmm, Irvine built a step of his career on lies but somehow it's the reporting of these lies that's the fault .....

Ok.

Carry on.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I honestly think that someone possibly fabricated this story by making it sound bigger than it already was.
If you read this story in the (U.K.) Guardian, he admits to having made up some things, due to "social pressure." He fabricated the lies himself. I really think it's a shame - I enjoyed the show - but when people lie and get caught, there should be consequences.

A CV that proved a recipe for disaster - US channel axes British celebrity chef | Media | The Guardian
Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I personally never cared for the guy-seemed kind of arrogant to me. No doubt a top rate chef, regardless of the fabrications on his resume.

I'm sure he won't be down for long
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
This blaming 'The Media' has gotten really old and has worn really thin.
Thanks for saying that. Blaming "the media" drives me nuts - as if "the media" was one big monolithic thing all with the same motivation rather than hundreds of companies and thousands of reporters. It's not as coordinated as some people seem to think.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What makes you think that?

Just seems to me that something just isn't right.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Ridiculous! His show is fantastic and to not renew his contract simply because he did not work on Princess Diana's cake is petty. Big deal, he told a little white lie. He obviously can cook and manage a kitchen with ease.

Yeah, I'm sure that we ALL told little white lies at sometime or another. I know that I did.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Ridiculous! His show is fantastic and to not renew his contract simply because he did not work on Princess Diana's cake is petty. Big deal, he told a little white lie. He obviously can cook and manage a kitchen with ease.
Actually, there were quite a few little lies, and if you ever watched the show, several were showcased in the opening: He cooked for British royalty; he was a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order; he had a degree in food and nutrition from the University of Leeds; he worked on the wedding cake for Prince Charles and Princess Diana; he had worked as a White House chef. All untrue.

Like I said, it's a shame it happened, but he's a big boy and has to pay the consequences for what he did.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
The entire show is based on this false personna ... how on any level is that okay?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

What he did was lie. They were not little white lies. They were lies period. He was deceitful to his employer and to the public. That is not right in any way shape or form. His lies could end up causing the business to lose money. That is not a little white lie.