"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
There are many foods or so called foods that I would never put in my mouth even if I were starving, but I wouldn't classify them as "food I hate", because I never know how they actually taste. (And if I missing out on something, amen, let it be that way, I am okay with it...)

Among the stuff I actually tasted and hated are...

Aniseed
Fat, Sinew, skin or any yucky part of chicken, pork or beef
Mushy vegetables overcooked to the point of turning grey or brown
Food that is loaded with MSG
Generic brand of prosciutto (well made ones are delicious, anything less is
Japanese soy sauce (too strident and salty, I like the indonesian version though)
Fennel
White asparagus out of tin (Love fresh green ones)
Green peas out of tin (Love fresh ones or frozen ones are okay too)
Raw plain chunk of Gorgonzola or Bleu Cheese (love them in sauces and cooking)
Soft boiled Egg/Overeasy egg

I am forgetting something else probably, these are a few of my unfavourite things!!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Eggs. I can't stand them in any way at all. Fried, hard boiled, mayo, scrambled, meringue, I just can't stomach them.

When I was about 3 my mom asked me what it was about eggs I did not like. I said it was the color. Mom asked what color I would like them. I told her green. She started making them green and I would eat them. Then one day she made the fatal mistake of saying that the eggs are the same, she only changed the color. I never ate another egg after that.

I really do hate the flavor and the texture as well, but I wished I liked them. It can be very limiting as so many things contain eggs.
Ohhh, poor eggs, hated so much by GB!!
You are not allergic or anything are you? Just the personal taste? You can't eat cakes, crepes,pancakes, custards, egg based pasta etc. either? Guido, Cris's youngest who refuses to eat eggs and anything reminiscent of them(along with 99% of food varieties), but he can be tricked to eat above mentioned stuff and even like them!!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

hmmmmm......let see

Liver
Brussel Sprouts.....I'll have to give these another try though as I haven't tried them since I was a kid.
Lobster....I know I know ..... but I honestly don't like it good thing for my wallet.....

Thats really all I can think of. I'm sure there may be a few more but as of now I can't think of them. I know my taste have changed as I've gotten older. Things I really didn't like when I was a kid I've found that I really like now. I think too that I've broadened my palate with the different foods and spices that I've prepared in the last 7 years or so. I've become so much more adventerous and will try things that I'd of snubbed before.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
raw tomatoes
Old 02-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I will not eat any offal. It is really strange, my mum and dad both loved kidney and liver, yet all three of us children detest the stuff - even the smell of kidney cooking makes me gag.
I will also not go anywhere near snails.
I will tolerate cauliflower but would prefer not to eat it.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I think if I'd been asked this question when I was much, much younger the list would have been exceptionally long and would've included many of the foods already mentioned in this thread.

Now, however, as I get older there are fewer and fewer things I don't like. Can't really say I actually "hate" anything either. Actively dislike, maybe.

I would have to think long and hard to come up with anything. Brussels sprouts are among my least favorite foods but, I will eat them to be courteous if they're served if I am a guest. Well, maybe not eat all of them. Just enough to be nice.

Don't care for anything overdone. My mother was the queen of "shinglizing" a good steak. I learned from my father the pleasure of a barely moo-removed steak. I'm guilty of "checking" the stew beef before I brown it. I remember reading Rosemary's Baby and relating to a scene in which she eats raw beef.

Not wild about caraway seeds. More the texture than the flavor. We had Hungarian pork goulash last night for supper, which called for caraway seeds. I wanted to keep the recipe authentic and didn't want to leave the caraway seeds out, so I put a little less than called for in one of my metal mesh tea balls and inserted that in the pot. Worked like a charm. The goulash was infused with the caraway flavor and I didn't have to pick out seeds.

Still trying to incorporate fennel, in all forms, into more dishes. Use fennel seeds all the time in Italian, but I want to do more with fresh fennel bulbs/fronds.

Until a few years ago I couldn't/wouldn't go near asparagus. Now I really like it. Don't know what happened. The "like it" switch just came on. I've discovered that with quite a few foods.

Anyhoo, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it
Old 02-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #17
Master Chef

Katie E......I forgot about kidney. Never have tried it and I would if someone didn't tell me what I was eating.....I'd even give liver a try this way too but I think my nose would be able to tell it was liver before it hit my taste buds.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
Head Chef

Sizzlin, you take a half dollar size Brussel sprout and boil it to death and yep, the result is a disaster.

The small ones are much tastier. Sauteed in butter they are OK (I will never wax elegantly over a sprout).

Or take a few, fresh and small, and slice them reasonably finely.

Toss them into a fry pan with butter, chopped onions, perhaps some finely julienned carrots and add some chicken stock. Let it cook for a while until the liquid has evaporated and you have some tasty sprouts.

Could incorporate the mix into mashed taters.

The sprouts are not my favorite veggie either, but they can be made pretty darn tasty.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

Thanks Aunt Dot. I did see one of the cooks on foodnetwork prepare some not long ago and sauted them with panchetta and they looked very good.

Thought of something else I just can't seem to acquire a taste for and thats creamed corn. For the holidays I have to make DH scalloped corn and it requires a can of this. Unfort., I have to taste the mixture before putting it in the baking dish to bake....so that I know its seasoned well. Taste testing is about all I can manage though.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Sizz, and anyone who never cared for Brussel Sprouts but would like to give them a second chance, check this thread out... I collected whole bunch of great ideas. Though I was always a fan of this veg., I am sure some of you will discover great ways to enjoy them just as well!!