"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen

Free Coffee at Starbucks this Thursday

Starbucks Coffee Break March 15th

On Thursday, March 15th, plan on stopping by your local Starbucks between 10am and 12 noon. During that time, Starbucks will be holding is 2nd annual Coffee Break. All company-operated and licensed Starbucks stores in the U.S., Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia and Greater China will be giving away free Tall (12-ounce) cups of coffee to anyone who drops by. Starbucks Coffee Masters clad in black aprons will be present during each of the coffee breaks to kick off the company's spring brewing sale and to answer any questions you might have about the coffee or coffee brewing. Last year, many stores used the coffee break period to sample some of their pastries out to customers waiting in line, as well.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Cool!
I have a coupon for a free drink too!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Can you say 'scramble for business'?

The coffee war is on, folks..and it's huge business! Used to be...you could plunk down a dime and get a decent cup of coffee, a free refill, and you went about your business. Now, they expect you to order in sizes that seem european but were created in seattle, have as many syllables as calories, and a cup of coffee costs more than a gallon of gasoline.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
True...but it tastes so goood... and it's just not the coffee

Starbucks is home away from home for many people.
:)
Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
True...but it tastes so goood... and it's just not the coffee

Starbucks is home away from home for many people.
:)
You got that right...

People who work from home have taken to using Starbucks as their offices for meetings. They sit there, all day, ordering a couple of cups of coffee, use the free internet jacks, conduct business...and then go on their merry way, rent free. I'm still deciding how I feel about this..but I get the feeling I'm going to not care for it, once I make up my mind, for good.

To return to the spirit of the thread, however.....

Lou and I love to go down the shore on weekends, especially Belmar, which is only a bit more than an hour from home. After a full day of sun, sand and swimming, we always stop at the rest stop that has a Starbucks on the ride home. During the summer months I am positively addicted to the the green tea iced latte. Oh, how I want one now. Have you tried it???????
Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

"People who work from home have taken to using Starbucks as their offices for meetings. They sit there, all day, ordering a couple of cups of coffee, use the free internet jacks, conduct business...and then go on their merry way, rent free. I'm still deciding how I feel about this..but I get the feeling I'm going to not care for it, once I make up my mind, for good."

I didn't like it at first either but.... after going to many of the Starbucks stock holders meetings I realized that this is a good thing. It's what the company wants. They've made their shops comfy so that people will come and stay. They call it "THE THIRD PLACE"... home, work and Starbucks.
If they didn't like and want it..they'd get rid of the couches and the big over stuffed chairs, fireplaces and computer hookups. They've created not a coffee shop but a meeting place.

Nope haven't tried the green tea lattes... I'm not really a fan of green tea.
It's those silly brownie frappatinos (sp) that are my down fall. Yummy!