"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: GAK!! How do you deal with the cooking aftermath?
wash as I go and try to leave as little as possible around. 20 74.07%
just leave them... I did the cooking so someone else can do the washing up 2 7.41%
I refuse to worry about it until my belly is satisfied 4 14.81%
It's not a problem. It is part of the fun for me. 0 0%
procrastinate until there's nothing clean left in the kitchen to use 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
GAK!! How do you deal with the cooking aftermath?

We all agree that cooking is a great fun, but we also agree that with it comes along this inevitable pain-in-the-u-know-what, dirty pots, pans, utensils and what not piling up in the sink and on top of the counter waiting for someone to put them away. How do you deal with them regularly? Anyone has any clever tip to ease up the pesky chore?

For me washing as I go is the best thing I can do, but still there are always too many things left after dinner, sometimes it seems to me those dirty stuff just multiply inside the sink all by themselves!!... and that is from just the two of us so I can't imagine how bad the situation could be if you had a larger family!!

If I were to become rich, what I dream of is NOT hiring a cook for us but to hire a sidekick who will do all the dirty work for me when I cook!!

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
It all depends on what I am cooking and how tired I am after I am done. For something like stir fry, there is not enough time to cook as you go. When I make something that is on the stove for hours then the cutting board and prep tools and such will be cleaned while the food is on the stove. Usually though for dinner, I will cook, then we will eat, then I will clean up the mess. Sometimes DW is feeling generous and will clean some things.

We originally had the deal that I would cook and she would clean, but she does much more of the household chores around the house so there is no way I can in good conscious ask her to clean the dishes as well.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Professonally, I operate under the clean-as-you-go option. However, at home, I rarely have time for that, with 5 hungry kids and three adults all sounding off rumbling bellies. So, I voted for the "don't worry about it until the belly is full" option.

I agree with GB, though. If I have time, I will clean the prep dishes and utensils. Usually, though, my cooking is pretty much do one thing, move to another, then a third, etc., as I'm used to cooking more that two things at once. There have been times when I'll have all four burners going, something in the oven, and something in the microwave.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
Master Chef
I do the best I can to clean as I go, in part because the work space in my kitchen isn't very big and because I just function better when things are clean. Lately DH has been an even bigger help than normal in cleaning up after dinner.
-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Master Chef
I try to wash as I cook, but, if I'm tired or just not in the mood to deal with it. I rinse it off until after we eat and then put it in the dishwasher.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife

" just leave them... I did the cooking so someone else can do the washing up"

LOL.. you are funny
if I waited for someone else to do
them they'd never get done.

I clean up as I go along.
If Paul decides to cook... I clean up
as he goes along.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Dishwasher works for me! Hubby usually washes but I hate to see clutter. My dishwasher hides everything!
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
I usually try to clean up as I go, but, when Cade is here he loves putting things in the dishwasher so he helps me. Dh on the other hand washes everything by hand, then I have to wait til he goes nite nite and put them into the dishwasher..His heart is in the right place, but, his eyesight is for the birds

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
While I'm prepping and cooking, stuff gets put into the dishwasher when there's a break in the action. Once the cooking is done, I stop to eat then stuff goes into the DW after dinner. Hand wash stuff waits until tomorrow or later.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Whenever I watch Rachel Ray doing those thirty minute meals, I chuckle to myself, thinking of the amount of time it takes to clean up.

I try to clean up as I go along, but if I'm doing a big meal, then right at the end when everything is getting done - I've got the gravy going, the vegetables that need to be cooked very quickly and the meat needing to be carved, I kind of lose it, and the kitchen gets really messy really fast. I never seem to be able to get through the last 1/2 hour gracefully!

Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote