Getting Out Spaghetti Sauce Stains?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Last night at dinner, Sofie ended up with as much sauce on her as in her (boy, will she love finger paints someday)! I pretreaded her top and then soaked it overnight in a bucket of water with color-safe powdered bleach. I ran it through the wash this morning and luckily thought to look at it before I tossed it in the dryer--the stains are faint but still there. Those two tricks always work for me, but not this time! Any suggestions on what I can try next?

Pa,
I do just as you do, with one difference, after spraying on the pretreatment, I get the garment wet with cold water spray again, then take a toothbrush, wet it, get some soap granuels on it and scrub the spot.Plus I cross my fingers:LOL: I find tomatoe based stains the very worst..If you haven't put the garment into a dry, I'd pre spot it again and scrub it a litttle and see what happens.

kadesma:)

Have you tried using a bit of Dawn dishsoap and a toothbrush on it yet? That usually works for almost any stain for me. It even gets the heavy black grease (from the 5-wheel on his rig) out of my hubby's shirts.

Thanks, Kads and Shunka. Kads, I had done what you suggested and pre-treated again--I'll go up and try the toothbrush and finger-crossing!:ROFLMAO: I'll run it through with another load this afternoon and if that doesn't work break out the Dawn.

Now, I have to run as Sofie just ran by me with a bottle of bbq sauce and is headed to the living room!:ROFLMAO: :wacko: :LOL:

Hopefully your stain is history. I find that 100% cotton fabric will hold a stain. The cotton/polyester blends usually wash clean.

One day I wore a beautiful brand new white cotton blouse, with lace insets up the front, to Red Lobster. I ordered an appetizer of Calamari, and with the first bite, I slopped a blob of marinara sauce right on the front, where it shows most.
I tried everything I could think of, but that durned spot never did come all the way out. :mad:

If it's still there, try soaking it in Biz.

If she's still got the stain, here's a trick I used on my second toddler, who was a bit more messy than the first one: tie dye the shirt! (after a while we had about a half dozen tie dyed shirts!)

PA, just got a tip from my sister. Use powdered dishwasher detergent and make a little paste. Rub that on and let it sit for a short time before you toss it in the washer. Worked for her.

I usually use a pre-stain fabric stray and leave it on for at least 5 minutes before I wash out the clothes. I find Spray And Wash as a great laundry stain remover.

Luckily the top was on tight, mud (I ahve a tendency to not always make sure that's the case:rolleyes: ). Man, does she move fast. I'd just reached in the fridge to grab something and she snatched the bottle out of the door. She's just fascinated with the fridge these days. She really is becoming my little foodie. The minute she sees me cooking she starts saying "Mmmmm...yum-yums!":LOL:

Two washings and the stain's much lighter so we'll try for a 3rd go in the washer tomorrow. I have the part of the shirt with the stain sitting in straight pre-treat spray right now. Thanks again, everyone!

Make a paste of Oxy=Clean granules. It got a humongous raspberry stain out of a smooth !00% cotton sweater.

Back
Top Bottom