Getting tired of cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Does anyone out there just get tired of it? This only happens to me every year or so. Actually now that I think of it, about this time of year. Last week someone I know laughed at my very full grocery basket. Then I realized that this guy (and many of my other friends) simply don't do it. I'm shopping for about 20 meals a week for two, plus the extra fruit because my husband is staving off diabetes by being religious about carb intake (seriously, I used to be the only one in the house eating fresh fruit). Fresh being a relative theory, given that we live in the north and there is not truly one darned thing that is fresh, and there won't be for a couple of months. But I'm tired of coming up with new salads, well, maybe just tired. I've found myself this week buying some convenience foods I normally wouldn't. In my heart of hearts, I know that in another few weeks I'll be ready to experiment with new recipes, and someone just gave me 2 lbs of ground venison I have to get some imagination to use. And I'll enjoy it, I really will. But what do you do when you enter the cooking doldrums?

I think most of us get in a rut from time to time. I know I go through periods when I don't feel creative and cook meals only because I have to. During these times, take out is your friend.

As you said, it always passes.

I make soup.

Something that's a favorite and something that I can eat for a week. That way, I don't have to cook. That's probably not going to work, but it's what I do.

I think we all get bored and fall back and recipes we can just throw together..That is when I come here and dig and ask and read as much as possible..I haunt the what's for dinner threads seeing what others are doing. I never fail to come up with something that looks and sounds great.
kadesma

Sometimes I'd rather not eat than have to cook a meal. Unfortunately dh isn't in the same mood at the same time. But sometimes he does surprise me by asking if I'd like breakfast for dinner (breakfast being the only meal he can cook) especially if it is getting close to meal time with no preparation visible. Then sometimes I just want to cook and cook and cook. Those times don't come as often as when the kids were home and more adventurous in their palate than dh.

I know those doldrums very well. I usually either buy a new cook book or cooking magazine or search the web for new recipes. I get re-interested (not a word, I know) as I'm flipping through the web or paper pages.

The cooking doldrums hit me every once in a while. It's usually when I have been continuously cooking all the tried-and-true dishes that I know are going to come out right, no challenge/creativity there. So, just trying something new brings me back to life in the kitchen, especially when it involves seafood.

Clair,
You aren't alone.I get tired of it to.
If it helps helps ya.I read this somewhere..

"This world can get by without some people in it,but it can't get by without the cook!"

Next time someone laughs at your cart (Snoopy shoppers anyways) Just say with a roll of the eyes "Teenagers!!!" They know... :)

Take care,

Munky.

i cook at school so i'm not much of a cook at my place. jake & i share the work when i'm tired of cooking dinner. or we order food, chinese or we go to the local pizza joints.

Being alone now is the reason I don't cook...but when Paul was here before he would go to work I'd ask "what would you like for dinner?" ( OK kitchen elf...supper) He would say "leftovers" I'd say "we don't have any" then he would reply "Then cook some..."

Sometimes we are cooking so much rich, fabulous food in class that all I want when I come home is a bowl of cereal.

Sometimes we are cooking so much rich, fabulous food in class that all I want when I come home is a bowl of cereal.
Amen, I know that feeling. Before I retired, I'd watch my grandson all day and at work as well, then have to come home with him and fix a meal for his parents, my DH and myself, then clean up, bath the baby and all I wanted was a piece of toast and tea..
kadesma:)

Sometimes I just can't think of a single thing to cook for dinner...so I come here and find out what everyone else is having, looking for inspiration. Sometimes I just send DH up to the corner taco stand, and very occasionally, we have popcorn for dinner. The hottest summer months are the biggest challenge for me. It's too hot to eat a warm meal, and I run out of salad ideas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom