Happy Chanukah!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, Addie, I did not get anything. I did not see the mentch on the bench, though I have one at home. Mentch, doesn't have anything with Alfs. In Yiddish it means a Real Man, in the good sense of that word. But it also became a simply word for a person, a male person.

As far as "backwards people", I also not sure what that is all about. Somebody ask me how do we light menorah and that is why I answered "from right to left".

Really doesn't matter.

Happy Chanukah to everybody. Like I said, Chanukah is not only holiday of lights it is a holiday of victory Good over Evil.

Okay, CharlieD, what have you been eating??? Enough about how to light the candles, I want to hear about what you've been eating!!!

Latkes, latkes and more latkes. Potatoes, zucchini, apples and, well, plain pancakes. Friday night I was cooking for about 75 people. Made probably 300 latkes. There were practically nothing left, besides few potato latkes that got a little bit burnt. One of my family special is " wet latkes", as my father calls them. Make latkes, make good meat stew, put latkes in the stew let it cook for at least half an hour. Can't say that it was ever my favorite growing up, but the older I get the more I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Rather than starting new thread I decided to revive this one. The Chanuka starts tonight, so once again I want to wish Happy Chanuka to everybody. And again I wish the Good always overcomes the bad. Sadly there is a lot of darkness in the world as of late. Mat the light of Chanuka spread all over the world and light it up with goodness.

Happy Chanukah, Charlie! Here's wishing for peace.

Last edited:
Happy Hanukkah

We wish everyone the best for the season. I finally found some Hanukkah candles in a town 10 miles away. The town we live in is mainly Hispanic, so you know what the odds are of finding Hanukkah candles or cards here.
My sister's card from NY was cute. It has a menorah cookie and a Xmas tree cookie on the front. Inside it said,"I'll celebrate any holiday that has cookies".:yum:

We wish everyone the best for the season. I finally found some Hanukkah candles in a town 10 miles away. The town we live in is mainly Hispanic, so you know what the odds are of finding Hanukkah candles or cards here.
My sister's card from NY was cute. It has a menorah cookie and a Xmas tree cookie on the front. Inside it said,"I'll celebrate any holiday that has cookies".:yum:

:) Aww, I love that. This pic has been going around FB for the past couple of days....

Attachments

• Merry Hanukkah, Happy Christmas.jpg
    Merry Hanukkah, Happy Christmas.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 246
...And again I wish the Good always overcomes the bad. Sadly there is a lot of darkness in the world as of late. Mat the light of Chanuka spread all over the world and light it up with goodness.
Amen, Charlie. Blessings on you and your family, and a very happy Chanuka to you all. And to you, Souschef. And anyone else who celebrates the Festival of Lights.

...My sister's card from NY was cute. It has a menorah cookie and a Xmas tree cookie on the front. Inside it said,"I'll celebrate any holiday that has cookies".:yum:
Maybe that's a Christmas cookie and a Chanukah bush. ;) Our best man is Jewish, his wife is Lutheran (and their daughter is a Lutheran minister). They always have a "Chanukah bush". It's a real "blended" family.

Back
Top Bottom