"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
One of the most dangerous rattle snakes is the pygmy rattler, found in Ontario. The reason it's dangerous is because it's hard to hear the rattle and people step on them totally unawares. The poor rattler feels attacked and does what nature tells it to do in when it is attacked.

Most rattlers, if not totally surprised avoid humans. We're just too big to eat. A rattler would rather not waste venom on something it can't eat, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #62
Head Chef

If you live in NY you can visit the American Museum of Natural History and see:

Spiders Alive!

Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I *really* wish you would stop saying "here in the south" as if you speak for all Southerners.
Sorry GG. Nothing personal. But snakes are abhorred in the south and thats just a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I have a different take on this... most folks have a hard time distinguishing one snake from another and while many are harmless, some are not. One of the big issues is that snakes often turn up in surprising places where you don't expect them. People know this and perhaps overact.

Years ago I was bitten by a copperhead in western NC. I was IN my house, in fact I was in my bathroom and sat down on "the seat". There was a snake behind the hinges and it bit me. I spent many days in the hospital and all these years later, still have a a visceral reaction to snakes, regardless of the variety. In my head I know most are harmless, still my first inclination is to get a shovel.....
The difference is you are afraid of snakes. Many people just hate them for no reason. They kill them on site without knowing or caring if the snake is dangerous or not.
This is common in the south.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I've heard that it will keep mosquitoes away also. Not so much, ticks. I had one dog that would get huge swellings at mosquito bite sites. I think she would have preferred a mosquito bite than the smell of that bath oil.
Since my sense of smell doesn't work it doesn't bother me one bit! LOL I spend very little time outside due to my allergies. Maybe that's why I don't get bit.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #65
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We don't have poisonous spiders living here, so I wasn't worried. There was a spider in my kitchen sink and it didn't seem able to get out by itself. I let it crawl onto my hand and put it on the window sill. I'm a live and let live kinda woman.
You done right. I do the same thing as you - save spiders. I am amazed at people being terrified at non poisonous spiders.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
One of the most dangerous rattle snakes is the pygmy rattler, found in Ontario. The reason it's dangerous is because it's hard to hear the rattle and people step on them totally unawares. The poor rattler feels attacked and does what nature tells it to do in when it is attacked.

Most rattlers, if not totally surprised avoid humans. We're just too big to eat. A rattler would rather not waste venom on something it can't eat, unless it's absolutely necessary.
I believe that in your neck of the woods, they are called Massasauga. Our pigmy RS is a little different.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I believe that in your neck of the woods, they are called Massasauga. Our pigmy RS is a little different.
I didn't realize there were other pygmy rattlesnakes, or I would have specified. You are correct in the name, but we usually misspell it Mississauga, probably because there is a town of that name in Ontario.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Sorry GG. Nothing personal. But snakes are abhorred in the south and thats just a fact.

The difference is you are afraid of snakes. Many people just hate them for no reason. They kill them on site without knowing or caring if the snake is dangerous or not.
And with good reason. Most of the poisonous snakes in this country are found in the south or the western part of the country. They are cold blooded and won't find the warmth they need to survive up here in the northern part of the country.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

It's not a fact; it's your opinion, based on your experience. My experience is different.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

I would have to go with Roll Bones. When I lived in Texas, you would see folks driving down the road and they would suddenly swerve. Not to avoid, but to kill. Usually a snake crossing the road. Any snake. I never saw anyone stop, wait for the snake to finish crossing and then continue. Nor did I ever see anyone stop, get out and ask the snake if it was friendly or not. Had I been driving, I would have swerve to kill one also. The Pirate used to catch them to turn them in for the bounty money.