"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Master Chef

Have you seen The Nutcracker?

Has anyone seen a real ballet production of The Nutcracker? What company was it?
I have never been, but, one day would love to. What company would be best?? If I spend the money, I want to come away remembering it for the rest of my life as the best evening I've ever had, not as I wish I hadn't spent the money or time going.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Some time ago I saw Nutcracker at the Boston Ballet. I have nothing to compare it to. I am not a dance afficionado. They perform the Nutcracker every Christmas season and it's responsible for half their revenue for the year. Quite a hike for you.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Everymom

TG, I've seen it a couple of times. I've seen the Alberta Ballet company and I THINK I saw the Royal Winnipeg do it. (Can't remember that one very well I was only 10 or so at the time)

Its a lovely production but you have to truly love ballet for it to be a lifetime memory I think.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I've never seen a large production. I saw it a couple times in Charlotte when we took kids to see it on field trips.

Barbara
Old 11-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I remember seeing it when I was a kid. I'm not sure who put it on, I'm sure a local group, but it was quite the production at the time. I probaby saw it two or three times, so I know the gist of the story and a few tunes are remembered.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
Head Chef

Yes, we've seen it and I would go again. Our local (Ocala, Fl) Civic Theater does it every year, and the costumes, scenery, music and dancing are just beautiful. I would urge you to go at least one time, even if it's not performed by a national company.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I saw it at Radio City Music Hall when I was about 7 or 8. I remember the Rockettes more than the play actually lol.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
TG, I've seen it a couple of times. I've seen the Alberta Ballet company and I THINK I saw the Royal Winnipeg do it. (Can't remember that one very well I was only 10 or so at the time)

Its a lovely production but you have to truly love ballet for it to be a lifetime memory I think.
I saw a production of Cinderella when I was 5 with my school. I loved it. I remember the the music, the dancing. If I could have, I would have gone again. I have seen The Nutcracker on tv, but, just not the same at all.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I saw it years ago as a Christmas gift from & with the grandma at Radio City. Other minor productions as well, but don't remember who. All when I was young.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
I have seen The Nutcracker on tv, but, just not the same at all.
You are so right about seeing it in person, as well as choosing a production company. I have seen Phantom of the Opera four times, and one production company that did it in Cincinnati, Ohio was like a bunch of amateurs. We left at the break because it was so bad, and a lot of people followed us out the door. The Cleveland, Ohio productions were very good (took each daughter as a special night out with Dad when each turned 12), but the best was with my wife at the Pantages Theater in Toronto, Canada. I only wish we would have been able to see it in New York City. I hear that was the best.

You may not have a choice of production companies unless you are willing to travel. If that's an option, you should have a great time.