"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #71
Head Chef

I started a thread a while ago to discuss how widely travelled we were around the world, I got just a few replies . Is it true that not many people travel outside of the USA?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I started a thread a while ago to discuss how widely travelled we were around the world, I got just a few replies . Is it true that not many people travel outside of the USA?
GQ....it does seem that world travel seems to elude many Americans. I have always felt that our Canadian cousins were better travelled. I'm not sure what the reason is. I tend to think that there is just so much here to see. This country is vast, diversified and filled with a myriad of eye popping vistas. I also tend to think that many folks wait until they retire to travel overseas for economic reasons and time constraints (a 1 or 2 week vacation is just not IMO long enough to visit abroad) . Personally, I would love to be a world traveller and hope to one day have the opportunity. Now, I am going to pop off to see if I can find your travel thread. Cheers!

Oh and I have to count for this thread....I'll be back!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #73
Master Chef

about 15 years ago my husband and I decided to sell all we owned, buy a F150 and a trailer, and actually stop in the various places we'd passed by when moving from one state or country to another (and, yes, traveling from France or Korea to the opposite side of the U.S., say from Korea or Vietnam to Virginia, or from France or Germany to Utah can be an expensive enterprise). And, yes, that's why many U.S. citizens aren't as well traveled as Europeans. There are longer distances involved, and quite a bit of moolah. I sometimes feel that I spent half my life in the back of a Ford station wagon, a quarter of my life in a plane, and the rest in a Ford F-150. My husband (and all my BILs) have often complained that you get me or one of my many sisters in a car and we -- fall asleep. I don't know how she did it, I'm a life-long insomniac, but she managed to train us to fall asleep in a car! When my youngest sib was born, Mom decided it was too expensive to stay in hotel rooms, so bought a tent, and later a tent/camper. It was always funny to see families of he-man boys stare at us in wonder. Even at a few years old, baby sib had a job, and we could raise a tent, do the tent trailer, stabilize a camper, Mom would start dinner while I took my younger sisters (with the exception of the baby) to the pool, lake, river, ocean, for a swim, then we'd come back to the camp site, eat, and my parents would take the baby while we cleaned up. Yeah, what a bunch of women (still are)!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #74
Wine Guy

Quote:
You certainly wouldn't think so from all of the American tourists you constantly run into over there, but I think Claire and Somebunny are probably correct.

Keep in mind that the US is roughly the same size as all of Europe combined, and there is a lot to see here (although it is very spread out). As you can see from this thread, most Americans don't get to see all of their own country, even after a lifetime of travelling.

I'm not sure how much is due to cost considerations. I've been to Europe maybe a dozen times over the years and, airfare aside, I don't find it any more expensive to travel there than I do here. You simply have to plan things a little differently. For example, when we travel in the US, we tend to stay in hotels and dine in restaurants. But in Europe, where hotels and restaurants are sometimes shockingly expensive, it's usually more economical to stay in vacation rentals or B&Bs, and purchase food/goods at markets. We try to live like the locals do when we go there.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

GQ's question makes me wonder if that many people from England come here to visit. Per capita of course.
With European countries being smaller and nestled together, of course it would be easy to assume People from England have been to Spain, Portugal, France, Germany... a lot of different countries other than their own. But that's like saying people from Pennsylvania have been to New York, Ohio, Virginia, Indiana...
I don't think Americans are any less traveled than Europeans if you count distance from home. Unless there are a lot more Europeans taking vacations here than I know about, which is entirely possible. A lot of people I know have traveled across the Atlantic.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #76
Head Chef

I have been to Portugal and Spain but also to Peru, Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican Republic . I just think of where I would like to go, not how close to home it is . I have never been to the USA yet .
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I have been to Portugal and Spain but also to Peru, Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican Republic . I just think of where I would like to go, not how close to home it is . I have never been to the USA yet .
If and when you do visit, GQ, where in the States would you like to go?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #78
Head Chef

I would like a girly weekend in New York but other than that I haven't got a clue , any recommendations ?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh yeah! My picks: New Orleans, Louisiana for a couple days, so much history and excellent food; Key West, Florida, for its fun quirkiness; Minneapolis, Minnesota (in the summer), healthiest city in the US with all sorts of things to do. Would love to visit Napa Valley, California for wine tours. Hawaii, any island, is gorgeous. Lots to do out East too. Oh, yeah, can't forget driving through Michigan (again in the summer), it's like 2 states in one.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #80
Wine Guy

Quote:
I would like a girly weekend in New York but other than that I haven't got a clue , any recommendations ?
Places I've been and have enjoyed (in no particular order):
  • New York
  • San Francisco
  • Chicago
  • Las Vegas
  • Sedona, Arizona (breathtaking scenery)
  • Albuquerque
  • Florida (in general)
  • Washington, DC
  • Los Angeles
  • San Diego
  • New Orleans
  • California Wine Country
  • Philadelphia
  • Boston
  • Myrtle Beach
  • Black Hills of South Dakota (and Mt. Rushmore)
  • Estes Park, Colorado Springs, Denver
  • The Grand Canyon
  • Austin and San Antonio, Texas