"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I want to get some chickens

Not sure where to put this, Eggs? Poultry?
Anyway, the neighbors across the road have them, I traded zucchini for eggs last summer, wow they were good. We eat alot of eggs here, I'm just wondering how much upkeep they require? Do I need to build an elaborate coop with heat? Do I have to go outside alot in the winter?? Yeah I'm a weenie.
I know people have them here, I can't remember who.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

BukBAAAAA!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Head Chef

Got 3 chickens. 2 lay brown eggs, the other greenish-blue eggs. On the average I get about an egg a day from each, so about 14 - 18 a week. They do go through their moments of laying and not laying, depending on time of year, amount of light, temperature.

As far as keeping chickens goes, couldnt be easier. JUst keep them fed, clean water, clean cage and they will be fine. I have a coop out in the back for them from april - november. I spoil my chickens and have a mak shift coop in the garage ( with a heat lamp) during the coler winter months. Not too noisy ( as long as no roosters). A little messy, but not that big of a deal.

larry
Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Head Chef

My coop isnt too elaborate ( atleast i dont think it is). I kept all the dimensions simple 4 X 4 X 8. 3 of the 4 sides are ply wood, the 4th side is chicken wire so they can see the light of day. They have an enclosed area where they can sleep, lay eggs, get out of the weather. The whole thing has a roof aswell.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We had some for a few years... had a coop.. but, most of the time they ran free in the yard.

The eggs were great!!! BUT, chickens poop A LOT!!! Very messy imho.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Got 3 chickens. 2 lay brown eggs, the other greenish-blue eggs. On the average I get about an egg a day from each, so about 14 - 18 a week. They do go through their moments of laying and not laying, depending on time of year, amount of light, temperature.

As far as keeping chickens goes, couldnt be easier. JUst keep them fed, clean water, clean cage and they will be fine. I have a coop out in the back for them from april - november. I spoil my chickens and have a mak shift coop in the garage ( with a heat lamp) during the coler winter months. Not too noisy ( as long as no roosters). A little messy, but not that big of a deal.

larry
Do you live in an urban or a rural area? I live right downtown and although my property is about 1/2 acre, I wasn't sure if it would bother my neighbors. Heck I don't even know if it is legal. I guess I should check with code compliance.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Master Chef

when we bought our house in '89 , the previous owners gave us 11 hens that they had. We had a lot of eggs We don't have hens anymore, they died over the years and we didn't replenish the stock. I do miss having fresh eggs. Our chickens had the run of the property, we have a lot of acres but the chickens stuck close to the coop. The only thing we did for upkeep was giving them chicken feed and fresh water in the coop. During the cold months, we had a heater in the coop.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Head Chef

Im in a suburban area. 1/2 acre. Houses next door and across the street. Never had a neighbor complain ( their teenage kids more disruptive than the chickens). Im abou an hour east of new york city. I assume its legal, since i bought it from a local garden store located in the same town. The only legal issues i think were , cant have a rooster, and must buy minimum 6 hens.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

You will find as many ways to keep chickens as you would.... let's say to thaw a chicken!

I looked into getting some layers for a year and took the plunge last year. I LOVE it. It's like Christmas every day I open up their nestbox and gather an egg or two, or five. And when you get a warm egg in the middle of winter.... Oh yeah, babe Fresh out of the "oven".

I have five hens and plan on getting maybe six more, just for the heck of it (and the eggs), plus I liked building their coop. I gave a couple dozen to someone last week and they loved it. They said they were out of eggs and when they got home, the mom who was watching their kids tried to buy them off of her. She said, no

I absolutely love having an abundance of eggs. Great taste, no aftertaste (burp), healthy, fresh.... you won't be disapointed Suzi.

And mine are a piece of cake to take care of, very clean the way I have their coop done up, but you DO have to go outside. You are caring for livestock after all. They need fed, watered, checked on for health.... And you don't want the eggs to freeze in winter either, which they will, along with the water.....
Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm sure I have plenty of room, I'm on 5 acres plus I don't really know which of the neighbors belongs to the nothing behind us.
The people across the road let theirs run mostly.... they dont run too far unless my 4 yr old goes to visit... poor chickens.
I don't mind going outside for a few minutes I guess, and really it's only below 0 here about 10-15 days a year. Is it expensive to keep them? Don't have alot of extra dough.
Unless I go to work and make extra bagels.