Insomniac's Delight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking my brain just doesn't stop, I am a very anxious person at times and keep thinking and thinking.
I can never get my brain to turn off.
I have the same problem. I just can't get my brain to shut off when it's time to sleep. When I get to sleep I can stay asleep for only 3-4 hours. It seems that I'm not the only one. Perhaps a cost of living in our modern world..

I know that some of my peeps here know about the crap I have been going through these past 2 years, and after 2 years of maybe three hours sleep a night, and catching a nap after work, I have found that just getting in a bit of exercise in has helped. I can't do any lower body until after surgery, but, doing 30-40 min is the pool, or 30 min Upper body, has really helped with calming down at the end of the night. I have found that getting physically tired, help with getting mentally tired. even 30min of meditation at night can help get your brain waves going in the right direction.

I can relate to stopping the wheels turning, and what blows my mind, is the direction in thoughts as you are laying there at night. . .I find myself thinking of things/people/places I haven't been in years. WTF. Just completely nonsensical crap. Especially after moving into the new condo sine the ex and I split, being in a new place, all by my self, every late night noise, my brain was like, "Hey, you know what you haven't thought about since you were a kid?? MONSTERS! Lets think about those for a while!"

I should be going into surgery in April, and my place on the transplant list I am considering dumping, as I feel like I can live with the pulmonary fibrosis, and though I had to go through 9 more chemo treatments, things seem to be getting under control. . .not cancer free, but under control. The avascualr necrosis, caused by the drugs I was given to treat things, is my biggest hurdle, and a double hip replacement at 34years of age is NOT where I ever envisioned myself being,and that is also something that my mind tends to go to when I can't sleep. Was never sick a day in my life, then bam. No more surfing, no more golf, no more hiking, had to cancel 2 vacations because I wasn't cleared to fly, and now I have to use a cane, and can barely walk. . .I know it could be worse, and I am grateful for things I can still do/have, but I am ready to get this crap behind me.

Last edited:
Monsters...yep they show up too! Most often from under the bed...wiped them out when we got a platform bed near the floor, no place for them to hide.

My best wishes for you Tatt!

Yeah, I went for a platform bed, and keep the closets open, just to make sure, lol. The brain is such a strange thing sometimes, and it amazes me on the journeys it can take you on, even without the stuff I use to pay good money for to do exactly that! lol.

TR that's very poignant and I hope you find some relief. My own problems are minor in comparison, not health but just life situations. In my own circumstances I've found some solace in thinking about technical problems (website design, HTML, PHP, MySQL, LAMP, SEO) which are so unrelated to emotional issues that it helps me to drift off.

Heh, I'm sure some of the DC members involved in website design know that stuff. Retired now that stuff is a hobby for me. (My career was only slightly related to the stuff referred to above. I've made a hobby of that stuff when the Internet first became popular in the early '90s.)

Another thing that helps me is my dog snoring. He makes little noises when he sleeps, sometimes. Even better is when he's laying next to me and starts kicking me in his sleep. When he starts doing that I think it's so cute that I don't even mind being awake.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: That makes three. Thanks for making my day. I am gong in the shower and sing. Teddy Bear is not here. I think I will sing in Latin today. Ave Verum Corpus by Mozart.

ooh, do you know "o fortuna" from orff's "carmina burana"?

i sing that as i ride into battle.

ok, really it's driving in traffic in the city, but it scares the crap out of cabbies when i have the windows down...

Last edited:
ooh, do you know "o fortuna" from orff's "carmina burana"?

i sing that as i ride into battle.

ok, really it's driving in traffic in the city, but it scares the crap out of cabbies when i have the windows down...

LMAO!

I pictured more of a Flight of the Valkyries for that!

I have to have the closets closed, no open doors. LOL, sounds goofy when I'm awake. But, I'm very suggestible when it comes to dreams and nightmares.

I love 'em too, my problem is, once I am engaged in a movie, I can't/won't fall asleep. I skillfully avoid some of my faves if they are on when i am trying to only watch the backs of my eyelids.

On top of all the family stress going on with Dad, my asthma has decided to act up again and so I had to start back on the dreaded prednisone again. As if I didn't already have insomnia, this stuff always elevates me and I end up with energy and anxiety half the night.

So, rather than fighting it I think I am going to go bake some cookies to take to my pain clinic tomorrow. I have been promising them something and I might as well use the time wisely. :rolleyes:

On top of all the family stress going on with Dad, my asthma has decided to act up again and so I had to start back on the dreaded prednisone again. As if I didn't already have insomnia, this stuff always elevates me and I end up with energy and anxiety half the night.

So, rather than fighting it I think I am going to go bake some cookies to take to my pain clinic tomorrow. I have been promising them something and I might as well use the time wisely. :rolleyes:

I do miss my midnight cooking, seems like I really only enjoyed cooking in the wee hours. But, of course, when I was working night I didn't have half the health problems i have now...I think I may be allergic to days....:ohmy:

I fortunately don't have medical problems that keep me awake, just a really active brain. My thoughts go all over the place. "That water stain on the ceiling looks like a horse Roland is snoring funny tonight Zombie plants aren't really a very scary idea The viens in a leaf really do fit asthetically into the whole idea of a tree since they branch out in a way similar to a tree's branches Cauliflower doesn't work as well as baby trees as brocoli does but it kind of works as piles of snow if the stem is completely gone Zebras Hey there little fly buzzing on the ceiling...)

The worst is if I end up wondering about something because I'll obssess over it until I find an answer, even if the answer is that nobody knows. Like, I'll suddenly want to know how cough drops work, or I'll remember part of a math formula but not remember all of it. The science and math ones aren't as bad now that the internet provides access to so much information which I'm super grateful for. If I know the answer is known by someone it gets physically uncomfortable for me not to know and there is a very physical craving for the answer. But sometimes I'll start thinking about phillisophical questions or big picture questions (what does forever really feal like, if God created us who created God, musings on the difference between what's legal, what's ethical and what's moral). If they are questions that have no answers it can take days, sometimes weeks to distract myself away from the thoughts. The craving to know the answer isn't there, instead it's a craving to completely explore the thought and unless I have something else to focus on my brain feels sort of itchy if I move away from the thought.

Back
Top Bottom