"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #111
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Is that even a sport? Parkour, I could maybe see though. . .
Ballroom Dancing...it's a sport when I do it?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Ballroom Dancing...it's a sport when I do it?
I used to kill myself dancing to Glen Miller. Now I am lucky if I can tap my foot.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

If it weren't for the Olympic coverage on T.V., I don't know what I would watch as a I prep beans for freezing.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #114
Certified Pretend Chef

Major League Baseball didn't like the fact that the Olympics takes place at the same time as the last third of the baseball season. The loss of star players to the Olympic team would impact teams' pennant races.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #115
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Major League Baseball didn't like the fact that the Olympics takes place at the same time as the last third of the baseball season. The loss of star players to the Olympic team would impact teams' pennant races.
It's too bad they can't delay the end of the season once every four years, but I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that isn't possible...
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #116
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
It's too bad they can't delay the end of the season once every four years, but I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that isn't possible...

The end of the season comes so late as it is. The last game of the World Series has happened in November. Not good weather for baseball and it conflicts with football.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #117
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

The end of the season comes so late as it is. The last game of the World Series has happened in November. Not good weather for baseball and it conflicts with football.
Makes sense. I don't follow sports, so I didn't know that :)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #118
Master Chef

I heard that baseball and softball were dropped because there were fewer and fewer countries able to field credible teams. The US and Japan were the only ones with any one good. Most of the other countries would create a team but often they had no way to improve their skills since there were so few teams to compete against.

I've had the TV on in the background but for the most part haven't been watching it very much. I think I'll be glad when Micheal Phelps retires. I'm kind of tired of the coverage of him. I've also not been very happy with the way NBC has been doing the coverage. I know it's taped but to cut away from a volley ball game, show a swimming race then back to the volleyball has been so disjointed it's hard to get into the event.

The way they showed the women's all-around gymnastics finals was so bad! It was frustrating the way they did that.

Okay, enough of a rant for me today.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #119
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I heard that baseball and softball were dropped because there were fewer and fewer countries able to field credible teams. The US and Japan were the only ones with any one good. Most of the other countries would create a team but often they had no way to improve their skills since there were so few teams to compete against.

... I think I'll be glad when Micheal Phelps retires. I'm kind of tired of the coverage of him...

First, there are many Latin American teams that can compete on a par with US and Japan. Witness the World Baseball Classic games. Many of the best teams are from Latin America. In fact, many of the top line players in MLB are Latin Americans who would play for their country teams rather than the USA team.

Don't blame Michael Phelps for how he's covered by the media. If not him, they will single out someone else.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #120
Head Chef

Cheese rolling should be in the Olympics and possibly Morris Dancing . After being a bit bah humbug and not arsed about it all I am now thoroughly enjoying it and LOVING Team GB! At the moment the gold leaders are 1. USA 2. China and 3. Team GB !!!! Whoop whoop .

It's all been rather emotional I am drained we are not use to displaying emotions.