It's amazing what you need to outfit a new apartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
My brother was sick for a long time, his wife left, and now he moved 2,500 miles here to Ohio and is starting over. I helped him out with outfitting his new apartment. It's amazing what a person needs.

wok (his ex wife is Taiwanese so he's used to wok cooking)
toaster
knife set
cutting board
place setting (I gave him one place setting from our large set)
mug, glass
silverware
dish soap
hand soap
shampoo
trash bags
trash can
bathroom tissue
paper towels
dish towels
bath towels
hangers
table
chairs
recliner -- Lazy Boy that a neighbor gave me that we don't use but he loves it
bed (inflatable, electric) -- left by my wife's cousin
sheets
comforter
pillow
pillow slips
charging cables for the phone
bluetooth speaker
toilet brush
all purpose cleaner
dish sponges
laundry basket
mop
broom and dustpan
dish drainer
house slippers
stationary and art supplies (he's an artist)
salt
pepper
condiments

Last edited:
We're in the same boat, although my FIL is bringing some of these supplies with him. He's renting an apartment a couple miles from us to get away from winter in Michigan. My MIL passed away about a year and a half ago and his doctor suggested a change of scenery for a while.

I made three different lists - to rent (he's renting large furniture), to bring (mostly kitchen equipment, dishes and bedding), and to buy (mostly larger kitchen stuff we're buying from thrift shops for him). We'll go shopping for the food staples after he gets here. Thanks for the starting list ;)

DH is flying up next week to drive down with his dad. He'll be here for five months. Assuming everything goes well and he likes it, we'll probably store his extra stuff in our attic for next year.

Oh, and we're going to loan him our flat-screen TV from our guestroom, along with some extra lamps and a few other things ;) We need to find a TV stand for it. We have it on a dresser now.

Last edited:
I well understand about outfitting a new apartment.

When we moved from Cali to MO a year and a half ago, other than clothes, etc., we only brought 3 boxes each of household and personal items.
It was fun furnishing a 2 bedroom apartment from scratch and less expensive than I had expected.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom