Katrina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mudbug said:
Apparently my folks have made it as far north as Hattiesburg,
mudbug, I backed into Hattiesburg once. :mrgreen: Seriously! There was a bridge out in Mobile, and my Amtrak train had to back up to Hattiesburg.

Anyway, I hope your family is ok. It is hard not knowing where someone is, even though you are sure they are ok.

Barbara

From what I have heard, this was not as horrible as they were predicting. It was still very bad, but at least the worst case scenarios were not played out. I sure hope everyone made it out safely and that their families, friends, homes and businesses are OK!

Hi guys. My folks are OK and resting in Memphis at MIL's after driving pretty much all night, with a few hours' sleep in a rest area.

I've been glued to the tube all day watching the weather stuff. Looks like the beleaguered folks in Mississippi and Alabama coastal areas are actually going to get the worst of it.

I don't like this ill-tempered daughter of Mother Nature. Hope those of you with loved ones in the problem areas have spoken to them and that they are as safe as possible.

I have been tracking this sucker since mid Sunday with Streaming webcams and radar. Plus any other data I could get my hands on. Thank God that it didnt hit New Orleans directly! :ermm: Still this was a HORRBILE occurance! Wish I could do SOMETHING. :neutral:

sush you can. donate something, ANYTHING to your local red cross. the girl i work with volunteers for the red cross and they're taking donations of food, water, etc... to send down there.

My family got out of harm's way - they travelled west a bit. Now I just hope they find their houses unharmed when they can get back home.

thanks, middie! my in-laws have LOTS of huge trees around their house and my sis-in-law has pecan trees behind her house. one of her pecan trees fell on their house a couple of years ago during a wind storm. they were inside! :ohmy: they escaped inury, but had to rebuild. i appreciate the prayers.

middie said:
sush you can. donate something, ANYTHING to your local red cross. the girl i work with volunteers for the red cross and they're taking donations of food, water, etc... to send down there.

Actually middie, the best thing to send right now is CASH. Here's some phone numbers:

Red Cross 800-435-7669

Catholic Charities 800-919-9338

Salvation Army 800-725-2769

Hate to badmouth the Red Cross, but after Hugo we had horrid experiences with them here. I'll never give another cent to them! I'd go w/Salvation Army any day.

I have heard same thing as Marm about the Red Cross (sorry to say). Adopted American Grandma has never supported them after her sons went to fight in Vietnam and RC came in and charge troops for stuff like coffee and donuts. Salvation Army came in and gave everhything free nice people to talk to, refreshements, etc. (Her story was something along that line).

Just an update on the in-laws. Everyone got back to their homes this morning - no major damage. Lots of limbs to clean up. No electricity but I think they are prepared to deal with that.

The news from Katrina's path is devastating. :( My prayers and thoughts are with all involved.

I'm glad to hear that, callie. There is no water, electricity, etc. in New Orleans and no Red Cross or anyone else in the city yet (although they are apparently waiting to get in).

If anyone knows about hotel availability in the Baton Rouge area or thereabouts let me know. I have an elderly cousin who made it to BR but is getting kicked out of his hotel tomorrow to make room for emergency workers.

No one who left New Orleans is being allowed back in. Those of you with loved ones who evacuated might consider wire transfers of cash to the local bank accounts of those they are staying with or to Western Union, and you might suggest they think about arranging temporary changes of address as well. They will likely have to phone the entities they do business with via the US Postal Service to notify them of a different address rather than depending on change of address cards, because mail already being sent thru New Orleans is likely to just sit there with no one to deliver it and no place to deliver it.

Hope this helps.

This is such scary stuff! I can't imagine being safe but away from home, wondering what, if anything, if left standing back home. Mud, I hope your folks are doing OK. I heard that at least one of the lake's levees broke and I thought of them.

Just checked the headlines and the mayor of New Orleans is issuing a manditory evacuation of the entire city!:ohmy: :(

PA, this is truly unprecedented. My folks are in health, under a dry roof, have transportation and credit cards, and are still overwhelmed.

Because the media are focusing on stupid areas like Bourbon Street, they have no idea if their home still has a roof, is underwater, or whatever.

More than one levee has been breached, which is why the aerial shots you see on TV show so much water everywhere. They are moving critically ill patients to the Superdome, which already has overflowing, fetid toilets, no air conditioning, and is already crowded with people, But the water is rising in at least 3 hospitals and the patients cannot be taken care of there anymore.

It's even worse over in Mississippi in Gulfport, Biloxi, and the little towns that surround them, altho I hear at least aid stations are available over there.

Plaquemines Parish, southeast of the New Orleans area, has suffered terribly as well, and they can't even get helicopters in to film the damage. At least 25% of that parish (i.e., county) is just GONE.

I thought about getting a care package together to mail to my in laws...but I wonder IF and WHEN they might get it. They are in the Baton Rouge area.

callie, I would call UPS or FedEx or someone like that and see if that's possible. Good idea. I think Baton Rouge is probably in better shape than the towns farther south.

Thanks, mudbug - great idea! I was just thinking of USPS. I will look into it. I'm sure I can find some useful things for them and maybe some fun stuff, too.

I hope your cousin finds a safe and comfortable place to stay.

went to fight in Vietnam and RC came in and charge troops for stuff like coffee and donuts.

You are so right!! Same thing took place in Korea.

Please....do not judge them by these incidents that have happened. The organizations are all made up of kind, loving, people who give up their time and energy to help others. They are like every other organization...a few bad apples in the bunch....and that can't be helped...but I am amazed the way I have seen them come through so many emergencies...and help so many people. I lost everything in a fire about 15 years ago. Home...clothes....pictures...everything. Both organizations helped me to get back on my feet. Even though I am sure there are a lot of "bad" stories....I think the good ones far outweigh them. I hope I am not wrong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom