"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
LCDs and plasmas are the governments doing. They read your brain waves! Just kidding of course.
Ok I pleaded ignorant to LCD,Plasma, DLR, rear Projection, 1080I or P, resolution and all that. It's common knowledge though if you wear your aluminum foil hat it blocks the goverments ability to get in and read your thoughts. So lets get back to the task at hand and give me some edjamacation on this topic.

JDP

Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #22
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have read about that too. It will also lead to the break through of a true 3-D tv with in the next 5-10 years.

cool technology, but I am sure it will be VERY pricey to start, and taper off, as all gadgets do.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #23
Senior Cook

G'day mate that is very interesting. I might have to put a few shrimps on the barbie and go into a holding patern myself.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP
G'day mate that is very interesting. I might have to put a few shrimps on the barbie and go into a holding patern myself.
ROTFLMAO

No worries mate......

Not bothered with the wide screen stuff at the moment. We've got till 2012 to upgrade before the analog transmissions cease . There are better things to spend money on (IMHO) like beer and planes........ Wide screen is a real ripoff, we're satified with our 68cm 4:3 CRT which displays WS format at a decent size, DSTB etc etc.

BAH Humbug......
Old 01-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksy
ROTFLMAO

No worries mate......

Not bothered with the wide screen stuff at the moment. We've got till 2012 to upgrade before the analog transmissions cease . There are better things to spend money on (IMHO) like beer and planes........ Wide screen is a real ripoff, we're satified with our 68cm 4:3 CRT which displays WS format at a decent size, DSTB etc etc.

BAH Humbug......
I thought all the networks had to comply buy '09
Old 01-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarsox
I thought all the networks had to comply buy '09
Was next year, was 2009, now according to local retailer (pushing plasma) and friend, has been put back to '12 due of pressure by broadcasters who are dragging their heels installing transmitters in country areas. In our area we have ABC & ABC2 (inc HD for both), SBS (inc HD, TEN network. The others are really dragging their heels.

Apparently all must have digital Xmsns by 2009, analog signal off 2012.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Brooksy,
Just did a few searches on the laser TV's and their price point is $1000 for the 50 inch TV for Christmas 2007. That will put me into a wait and see mode. The worst thing that can happen is the prices continue to drop on the others and I will have a newer TV, considering my CRT's ( I'm learning the jargon now) are still working fine. Which leaves more of my fun money for beer and fly fishing. Love your outlook on life.

JDP
Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP
Brooksy,
Just did a few searches on the laser TV's and their price point is $1000 for the 50 inch TV for Christmas 2007. That will put me into a wait and see mode. The worst thing that can happen is the prices continue to drop on the others and I will have a newer TV, considering my CRT's ( I'm learning the jargon now) are still working fine. Which leaves more of my fun money for beer and fly fishing. Love your outlook on life.

JDP
I don't know about the government or anyone else, JDP, but I'm keeping track, and it appears that your desired size has grown from 40/42 inches to 50 inches just since this morning. If you keep that up, well, there's no telling, is there?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

Here is a site that you may find helpful.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
I don't know about the government or anyone else, JDP, but I'm keeping track, and it appears that your desired size has grown from 40/42 inches to 50 inches just since this morning. If you keep that up, well, there's no telling, is there?
SuzyQ there are a lot of size jokes that could be made that would probably shut down this thread so I won't make them. But in the spirit of another long going thread posted today " You're not the boss of me".

Please look it up, there is no offense meant,

JDP