Let the gardening begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We planted our vegetable garden with our 5 year old grandson's help today. Or at least we got a start on it. About 6 different heirloom tomato plants including one cherry tomato plant & two Romas also an Italian plant San Marcos I think? Flat leaf parsley, & of course a bunch of basil. Oh yes, sun flowers!

best tomato....

Anyone who wants the BEST tomato bar non heirloom or not heirloom try something called sungold. Now you will probably have to grow it from seed because ive never heard of it being available to anyone locally but it taste like a sweet orange. It is a cherry type tomato though. Ive grown a lot of varieties and this is the one i have to grow every year.

QSis said:
What??? What varieties of tomatoes did you plant, spryte?

In my experience, there is NO better tomato flavor than those grown in my back yard, whether I start them from seed or buy young plants.

Lee

It was labeled as a Patio Tomato. There was no other name. I was very disappointed. Although last year, as a whole, my garden didn't produce nearly as well as it did the previous year. But my hot peppers where still fabulously hot & tasty. I just wasn't happy with the tomatoes.

We're having below freezing lows and the top third of my tomatos, peppers and something else (?) froze. We covered it (18x12) with sheets and then plastic. I think we have 2 more evil nights.

As sad as I am, I cannot begin to understand what farms are going through. :(

Last edited:
Half-Baked, if you can keep the rest of the plants from freezing, the plants may survive. Yes, we have predicted two more nights of this frigid weather:mad:

The temperature has gotten down into the lower 20's for 3 nights now. Last night was clear, and when I got up this morning, the north field was white.

Our peach crop is gone. The farmers have covered their strawberries, so we'll hope for the best. I'm just grateful I don't have the greenhouses anymore. I'd have had all kinds of things sitting outside at this time of year. You can wash off a light frost, if you get out before the sun comes up, but there's nothing you can do about a hard freeze.

The "Old Farmer's Almanac" was quite off this year. I'm a bit crushed actually ... I've relied on it every year, whether we were living in Oregon or here in Wisconsin, even when I only had a container garden. mmmmm :ermm:

Last week I tilled Dad's garden, lil sis #1's garden and my garden. Glad I didn't plant anything yet cuz it's been too darned cold since then:mad:
Where the heck is global warming when you need it?:LOL:

My husband says he wants all the global warming pundits to parade down Main Street naked this week.

I so miss my old house. I grew up in it (15 years) and had to move two years ago, when mum and dad sold it. I went from a great big 4 sided kitchen (3 sides were benches with the stovetop, sink and a breakfast bar in each one respectively, the other side was what you walked along to enter and leave and had the fridges, pantry and cupboards) with walk-in pantry and cealing to floor cupboards, to my current one bench kitchen, with reach-in pantry, very little cupboard space, sink and cooktop taking up most of it, and a dinky fridge. I also went from 2 and a half acres of wonderful bush, meadow and garden to 2 postage stamps front and back. The front garden is my sister's "Grow something pretty to impress my friends with my Ikea house, that I can't kill through total neglect" garden, and I'm "allowed" the back one, which I have to share with a HUGE Hybiscus I'm not allowed to prune, and the clothesline.

..Ahem. Sorry for the whining. I recently started planting vegetables, a heirloom carrot mix, choggia beetroot, romanesco broccoli, french breakfast radishes, and chocolate capsicum. The beetroot, broccoli and radishes have sprouted, and isolated carrots.

I also re-potted some herbs (Mint, Basil and Chives), but the Basil is very long-stalked, and I don't have anywhere great to put them... The sun is intense when it falls directly on them, but it doesn't do that for very long. And the block slopes, and generally it's all not good.

I'll post some snaps later on, when it's not 9:53PM and thus it's well lit.

My seeds have at long last arrived today from Britain. Taken weeks in the post. Oh well. I'll know to order way in advance next year...

Right now I am sitting at just under 6 weeks from the last potential frost date. I will start my annual flowers this week and when they are germinated, that will free up the electric starter mat for the tomatoes and pepper plants.

I'm looking for some tips to plant indoors. Got some pottery but the label says to use pads when planting indoor plants/seeds. What would be the pads to use?

Dina said:
I'm looking for some tips to plant indoors. Got some pottery but the label says to use pads when planting indoor plants/seeds. What would be the pads to use?
Dina, you can buy cork like pads at any nursery or Home Depot..They protect your furniture and even you counter tops for moisture caused by the water in the pots..If you don't like the pads, they have small stands or saucers for the pots themselves.

kadesma:)

Thank you Kadesma. The pottery I got already have saucers. I will get the cork pads instead. I'm growing some orchids and a bird of paradise indoor. Hope I don't kill the plants.:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom